DSG Tiptronic mode disengaging (loss of drive). Fabia VRS TSI 180 11 plate.

I have bought a brand new Fabia VRS hatchback and all was well for a few days until I decided to try the tiptronic mode. I was driving in tiptronic mode for a few minutes when I came to a junction and put it into first gear, I started to pull away then the car rolled to a stop the car had disengaged first gear. I managed to get the car moving by putting it into park then back into auto. I had noticed that the gear indicator on the dashboard was flashing the number 1 displaying this as an error. I'm certain it was a loss of drive because I could still rev the car but no drive just a flashing number 1 on the dash. The car is going back to the dealer on Monday but this is really disconcerting to have this kind of problem and not to mention dangerous.I have since tried to replicate this failure but have never succeeded, has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Wow thought we were going to get problems with the dsg but hopefully will just be a glitch and quick trip for reset should be fine especially if not happened again and you are still in the learning mode and apparently the cars learns with your drivin style

It's a strange one but there is a video on Youtube of something similar happening to a Polo GTI. Don't have mine yet but when I took one for a test drive I used tiptronic for 95% of the half hour drive with no problems. Hopefully it's something small like a software update can fix. Someone who knows more can comment.

The mechatronics unit may need an update, they do learn from you though so bare with it. I'll be using D until its got a few miles under its belt. The demo one I drove was fine and I chopped between D and S and using paddles. Didn't use Tiptronic though as just flicked a paddle each time to over-ride the auto.

It's a strange one but there is a video on Youtube of something similar happening to a Polo GTI. Don't have mine yet but when I took one for a test drive I used tiptronic for 95% of the half hour drive with no problems. Hopefully it's something small like a software update can fix. Someone who knows more can comment.

I saw this too

I've found the best way to drive is stick it into Triptonic Mode then use the paddles

I've suprised a few upper class cars when using this method when I'm in " Overtaking Mode" emoticon-0103-cool.gif

No problems and I'm teaching ours to do as it's told emoticon-0144-nod.gif

I've just watched the Polo Video on the thread and every time the driver is going for power the green "Put your foot on the foot brake symbol " is still displayed even when the car is in gear

Strange

Don't want to be a pessimist but.....Symptoms sound very similar to the infamous DSG temperature sensor faults they had with VAG vehicles in the US - the so called "flash of death"? Definitely a dealer job.

Edited by Minimoke

Funny the guy in the video never pressed the brake as the flashing green light on the right hand side of the dash is asking. This and putting it in P then D would work again. Something to do with over heating as I saw his thread on Polo forum.

Funny the guy in the video never pressed the brake as the flashing green light on the right hand side of the dash is asking. This and putting it in P then D would work again. Something to do with over heating as I saw his thread on Polo forum.

I thought this. What's the best way to avoid it? Presumably stick it into park, handbrake on when on a hill waiting in traffic?

N or P when in traffic as the clutches can burn as yoju would in a manual. Foot on brake when in N or P, or I guess use handbrake. I'll have to teach the misses lol

N or P when in traffic as the clutches can burn as yoju would in a manual. Foot on brake when in N or P, or I guess use handbrake. I'll have to teach the misses lol

Are you sure about this? Ignoring the fact that brake lights will dazzle others at night I thought it was fine to use footbrake while waiting at lights etc but should put into N or P if applying handbrake and releasing footbrake?

Yup, checked with master tech he said clutch is engaged always unless in P or N. Makes sense really as the others are R, D and S which are all drive modes. I can't see how brake lights will affect you that much as people normally brake at night :D

Er because if you're sat in a queue of traffic at night with somebody in front standing on the brakes while waiting it's a lot brighter than just their tail lights which would be on if they used the handbrake instead? It's common bad driving practice by those with automatics and inconsiderate to those behind.

Interesting.

I heard the opposite - that by applying the foot brake, it disengages the clutch.

Thinking about this logically - how could you pull away from the lights smoothly with the clutch already fully engaged? As far as I'm aware - that's not possible.

What you are definitely NOT supposed to do, is leave it in D while the HANDbrake is engaged, as then the clutch is engaged and the transmission will be fighting the rear brakes. That would definitely result in overheating.

In N or P the clutches are disengaged.

In D,S or Tiptronic with the foot brake pressed the clutches are disengaged but held near to biting point in readyness to pull away. Wear or heat generation is minimal and even the owners handbook says it's OK to sit in drive with the foot on brake.

Do not use the handbrake in Drive and release the brakes though as the clutches will engage and try and drag the car against the handbrake. If the handbrake is on the select P or N before releasing the brakes.

On VAG models with an electric handbrake a function called Auto Hold is available. You pull up in Drive and stop with your foot on the brake pedal, you can then release the brake pedal but the brake pressure is held on the brakes. You sit there in Drive not touching any pedals and not moving. As soon as you want to move the slightest tap on the accelerator will release the brake pressure and the clutches smoothly engage. I have this on my Passat and it works great.

Cheers

Lee

Yup, checked with master tech he said clutch is engaged always unless in P or N. Makes sense really as the others are R, D and S which are all drive modes. I can't see how brake lights will affect you that much as people normally brake at night :D

People sitting at the lights with foot on the break really annoys me, I seem to get a sharp headeach from this?

I usually put it straight into N and then Handbreak on when at the lights, (Just like i did in a manual)

I have had one issue with the DSG when I tried to pull out at a roundabout, the car sat there with the ESP symbol flashing, the revs went up but no drive. I had been driving in S mode, and stopped in a queue, rolling forward was fine, I stopped at the give way line and then no drive. I poped it back into N then into D and away it went, It hasnt done this since.

I have never used the gear stick to change gear. I just push it to the right and then use the paddles. Not sure if this makes any diffrence to doing it via the gear stick, (Im assuming thats what people are calling tiptronic?)

I have never used the gear stick to change gear. I just push it to the right and then use the paddles. Not sure if this makes any diffrence to doing it via the gear stick, (Im assuming thats what people are calling tiptronic?)

The gear lever has no direct control of the gearbox, the + and - gear lever selector are just switches same as the paddles.

Cheers

Lee

ive had this happen once. But put the cr back in park, and it was fine again.

What i would be interested to know is if any of you can hear the knock/click of the gear box disengaging when you go from D to N. I have thought mine was loud from new

ive had this happen once. But put the cr back in park, and it was fine again.

What i would be interested to know is if any of you can hear the knock/click of the gear box disengaging when you go from D to N. I have thought mine was loud from new

Yeah I have a definite click from D to N, it is quite noticeable if there is no stereo, fans, etc on.

On VAG models with an electric handbrake a function called Auto Hold is available. You pull up in Drive and stop with your foot on the brake pedal, you can then release the brake pedal but the brake pressure is held on the brakes. You sit there in Drive not touching any pedals and not moving. As soon as you want to move the slightest tap on the accelerator will release the brake pressure and the clutches smoothly engage. I have this on my Passat and it works great.

Cheers

Lee

does the new fabia vrs have this function?

Yes the VRS has HHC (Hill Hold Control).

so how does it work, is it just a case of when on a hill and you take your handbrake off and foot off the brake the car wont roll back and will stay still untill you start moving forward

so how does it work, is it just a case of when on a hill and you take your handbrake off and foot off the brake the car wont roll back and will stay still untill you start moving forward

When you are approaching a hill, stop as you normally would on the foot brake.

DO NOT TOUCH THE HANDBRAKE.

When you lift off the foot pedal, the brakes will hold for a maximum of 2 seconds before releasing brake pressure, or if you press the accelerator pedal before these 2 seconds.

This will allow you to move your foot to the accelerator and move off on a hill without the need for handbrakes, etc.

Hope this helps.