DRL's Again

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm not Phil, but these are the ones, I have fitted them too. The bulb holders just pop out with the twist of a screwdriver, then you unplug the light and take it to your workbench to cuss at it when you take the metal cover off it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-W5W-T10-501-SMD-LED-SIDELIGHT-BULB-C4-/260775952975?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb775424f

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted these in December when I collected the car, but personally I didn't like the colour of them so I removed them just as quickly and went for these LED's instead, which was much better colour IMO (I was after a pure white, without ant blue tint)

I just got these through today and have just fitted them.

Excellent look, very happy and thanks for the link.

Question is, can we not fit these all round in the indicators? Would then get that nice crisp typical led on off flick as they work.

Question is, can we not fit these all round in the indicators? Would then get that nice crisp typical led on off flick as they work.

They recommend that you use the correct colour bulb for the light it needs to show, so orange SMD's for indicators, red for brake lights etc.otherwise they look a bit 'washed out' (pink brake lights etc)

But there is a German(?) combi on youtube who fitted them in the indicators etc and they are clearly not as powerful as the std filament bulbs making them much harder to see - not a good move IMO.

my internal led is finished now to after following this thread. just waiting for the drl bulbs, not sure why though i turned mine off :)

Put an led in the reversing light which works really well, need to do puddle lights to finish the job.

Thanks for the pics and info, useful thread.

I have done the estate boot lid downlighters too with LEDs. Big difference.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Share, what ones did you get for that job? And have you replaced the side lights and numberplate lights yet?

Hey Phil,

Share, what ones did you get for that job? And have you replaced the side lights and numberplate lights yet?

Take a look here any you will see what most of us have used :thumbup:

Post #16:

LEDs from MaxAutos on FleaBay. £4.99 a pair inc. free p&p

They are much brighter and flood the boot with light.

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

I have replaced the DRL's and the interior lights with LED's (thanks to Philpix and tankdave for their posts on the subject) and I am now looking at changing the sidelights.

I have had the cover off but it looks like a nightmare to remove the sidelight from the housing. Can anyone offer advice on how the fitting comes out?

Has anyone had problems with heat damage? I have the Bi-Xenons so the heat output is less than that of halogens, but I am looking at the warnings on ultraleds etc.

Cheers!

Edited by Dustpuppy

Thought Peeps might like to see where I got my DRLs.

Very quick service, nice bright white light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280705596127&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have some of these and they don't work on my DRL's, I get a Bulb failure error and maxidot warnings. I have tried 2 set's of CANBUS compatible LED's now and got the same results both times, maybe the CAN gateway has been changed on MY2011 cars? I just can't get LED's to work in the DRL's so will leave them off.

I have replaced the DRL's and the interior lights with LED's (thanks to Philpix and tankdave for their posts on the subject) and I am now looking at changing the sidelights.

I have had the cover off but it looks like a nightmare to remove the sidelight from the housing. Can anyone offer advice on how the fitting comes out?

Tried the manual - page 252 onwards offers some guidance (albeit limited) into changing bulbs. However I know from my Octavia that it is actually easier to disconnect and remove the whole headlight unit and change the bulbs away from the car. Rather than attempting to do it in situ and risk cutting the back of your hands to shreds!

There is an Octy II guide on here somewhere - perhaps the method on the Superb is similar?

Thought Peeps might like to see where I got my DRLs.

Very quick service, nice bright white light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280705596127&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have some of these and they don't work on my DRL's, I get a Bulb failure error and maxidot warnings. I have tried 2 set's of CANBUS compatible LED's now and got the same results both times, maybe the CAN gateway has been changed on MY2011 cars? I just can't get LED's to work in the DRL's so will leave them off.

I bought the same set of DRL's from ebay (same seller). They are working without errors in my Superb (MY2011).

Edited by Dustpuppy

Has anyone had problems with heat damage? I have the Bi-Xenons so the heat output is less than that of halogens, but I am looking at the warnings on ultraleds etc.

No problems at all with my LED sidelights :thumbup:

I bought the same set of DRL's from ebay (same seller). They are working without errors in my Superb (MY2011).

+1 also on a MY11 car.

Tried the manual - page 252 onwards offers some guidance (albeit limited) into changing bulbs. However I know from my Octavia that it is actually easier to disconnect and remove the whole headlight unit and change the bulbs away from the car. Rather than attempting to do it in situ and risk cutting the back of your hands to shreds!

There is an Octy II guide on here somewhere - perhaps the method on the Superb is similar?

On a Superb the bumper needs to come off before the headlights can be removed.

To remove the sidelight holders get a pair of long nosed pliers (I also found the use of a small mirror to be useful) and just pull them straight back.

Not doubting that they do :) they don't work on my SE Plus though, which was built in late may so it is possible I guess that there may be a subtle difference in there somewhere.

I tried the ones from Ebay and some from a different seller that where guaranteed to work and they threw errors as well. Cleared the logged errors in VCDS and tried again and the same happened.

I've done the tailgate downlighters and have now done all the interior lights.

BTW, the footwell light need to be the same as the tailgate ones. i.e. ones that fire sideways ;)

I used these Leds below for the 5 on the roof (they dont need to be anti-Canbus either)they do fire the light straight down, but they sure look good with a good bright spread. Cheap too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260779061475&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Hey Tankdave, are these the same for the front side lights?

Cheers

Dave

On a Superb the bumper needs to come off before the headlights can be removed.

Seems drastic and think that was the original thought on the Octavia II until someone realised that the whole unit could be removed.

headlight.jpg

This is the headlight unit from the manual, presumably the offside. If so then similar to the Octavia it could be held in with 2 fixings (top and left of unit) - could it then slide out?

Unfortunately I don't have a Superb to hand to physically check!

£4.99 seems a bargain to me

Phil

drl02.jpg

Too right at £4.99 I ordered 4 assuming that was per bulb as they are packed in ones, BUT thats for a pair so now I have 8 DOH, well at least if I have the same problems as the OP I have some to fall back on :)

Looking at the pics you've got to have white lights on a white car right?

(When the wifes not looking these may get upgraded to LEDs susssssh)

Edited by HarryP

Not doubting that they do :) they don't work on my SE Plus though, which was built in late may so it is possible I guess that there may be a subtle difference in there somewhere.

I tried the ones from Ebay and some from a different seller that where guaranteed to work and they threw errors as well. Cleared the logged errors in VCDS and tried again and the same happened.

I have an Elegance model which pre-dates the SE Plus, so you could have an updated canbus. I will see if I can find the build date on mine.

Edited by Dustpuppy