CR 170 performance

Moonman2

Has anybody ever compared the performance of a 170 CR 2.0 to that of a 140? I'm thinking of getting a Yeti and the 170 seems like a nippy beast (compared to the 140), but I haven't been able to find any dealer who has a 170 that I could try out. One dealer did tell me that there's little difference in performance between the two cars.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody ever compared the performance of a 170 CR 2.0 to that of a 140? I'm thinking of getting a Yeti and the 170 seems like a nippy beast (compared to the 140), but I haven't been able to find any dealer who has a 170 that I could try out. One dealer did tell me that there's little difference in performance between the two cars.

my dealer has a 170 Ewhurst near Cranliegh, but don't know how far that is from you, southern england is a large area :rofl:

This is purely subjective, no test data.

I test drove a 140 and bought a 170. I can tell you there is a significant difference - and the 170 gets better fuel economy as well.

On the other hand, the 140 is perfectly adequate for my normal use, but I have done quite a bit of long distance autobahn driving, where the 170 is just superb.

I test drove a manual CR140 Yeti (as I couldn't find a CR140 Superb to test drive) and then 20 mins later i tried a CR170 DSG Superb and TBH there is a difference but not a lot, I eventually chose the 170 because I wanted as much of the low down torque as possible that a PD has - the CR however feels nowhere near as powerful low down as the PD due to the power being linear in the CR.

Others hower do not like the way a PD delivers it's power - I am just not one of them :giggle:

I test drove a CR170 Yeti and was gobsmacked by the way it went. I bought it on the spot!

my dealer has a 170 Ewhurst near Cranliegh, but don't know how far that is from you, southern england is a large area :rofl:

EWhurst is definitely doable for me - I've emailed them, thanks for the "heads up" :)

Ditto BOBDOG's comment. The performance stat's show the difference between a 140 v's a 170. Comforting to know the extra grunt is there if you need it. A 170 will comfortably do a ton in 4th, 5th and 6th, will a 140?

I test drove a CR170 Yeti and was gobsmacked by the way it went. I bought it on the spot!

That's what I was hoping somebody would say :) What's the 40-60 performance like? That's what's going to be most useful for overtaking on A and B-roads ...

Ditto BOBDOG's comment. The performance stat's show the difference between a 140 v's a 170. Comforting to know the extra grunt is there if you need it. A 170 will comfortably do a ton in 4th, 5th and 6th, will a 140?

That's what I was hoping somebody would say :) What's the 40-60 performance like? That's what's going to be most useful for overtaking on A and B-roads ...

It really is quite awesome, and shows how far turbo diesel technology has come in recent years. 40-60 is great :thumbup: . About 9/10 years ago I used to drive a mark 3 VW Golf VR6 ... 2.7 litres of V6 petrol engine which gave about 175bhp from memory - it went like stink. The CR170 performance on paper may be a little less, but it feels very similar to me in practice.

I test drove a manual CR140 Yeti (as I couldn't find a CR140 Superb to test drive) and then 20 mins later i tried a CR170 DSG Superb and TBH there is a difference but not a lot, I eventually chose the 170 because I wanted as much of the low down torque as possible that a PD has - the CR however feels nowhere near as powerful low down as the PD due to the power being linear in the CR.

Others hower do not like the way a PD delivers it's power - I am just not one of them :giggle:

A PD???

This is purely subjective, no test data.

I test drove a 140 and bought a 170. I can tell you there is a significant difference - and the 170 gets better fuel economy as well.

On the other hand, the 140 is perfectly adequate for my normal use, but I have done quite a bit of long distance autobahn driving, where the 170 is just superb.

Yes, interesting that the 170 gets (marginally) better fuel economy ... maybe it's just what they measured on the day and the two are really pretty much the same :)

A PD???

previous generation VAG diesel. power delivery is all or nothing. As Gizmo said some people like it. I don't....CR feels slower but is quickeremoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I have a slightly modified CR140. I theory it is faster than the CR170......it is certain faster than other CR140's (900k's to be specificemoticon-0140-rofl.gif) I overtook him at Castle Coombe earlier this yearemoticon-0136-giggle.gif (I was a long way behind him at one point).

I wanted the CR170, but with a DSG. Sadly not an option.

Mike

Worth remembering that as well as the extra power, it also has (I have gathered from this forum) the biggest brakes of any Yeti model. I have had mine now for 6 days now but cannot comment on any power comparisons. I have been treating it reasonable gently over it's first 250 miles. However it does feel very sprightly indeed and very flexible on the gearing. The brakes are extremely powerful with the lightest touch bringing the vehicle to a surefelt halt. SWMBO had experience of an emergency stop on her first effort of controlled braking when coming up to a junction. Obviously her now departed Fabia's brakes were less sensitive !!

It is proving to be the best car I have ever driven - and exceptionally easy to drive - partly due to any amount of power available in any gear.

It is proving to be the best car I have ever driven - and exceptionally easy to drive - partly due to any amount of power available in any gear.

The Yeti is the best car I have ever driven as well.........emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Effortless absolutely brilliant at overtaking.

As I have said before I have tests in the Volkswagen Driver Magazine of various Golfs. The difference in performance between the CR140 and the CR170 is minimal however they are both much quicker than the CR110.

The Fuel consumption again is similar between the CR170 and the CR140 but much better with the CR110.

Some in-gear acceleration times of the PD140 are actually faster than the CR170 and all the in-gear times of the PD170 are appreciably quicker than the CR170 so the PD engine doesn't just feel quicker, it is.

The 50-70mph in 3rd gear of the CR170 is 3.7 seconds.. :)

Yes, interesting that the 170 gets (marginally) better fuel economy ... maybe it's just what they measured on the day and the two are really pretty much the same :)

The 'official' figures show a marginally better fuel economy for the CR170 over the CR140. Anecdotal evidence on here suggests that us CR170 drivers are getting significantly better figures ... but it might be just because most of us are 'rural' rather than 'townies' :)

As I have said before I have tests in the Volkswagen Driver Magazine of various Golfs. The difference in performance between the CR140 and the CR170 is minimal however they are both much quicker than the CR110.

The Fuel consumption again is similar between the CR170 and the CR140 but much better with the CR110.

Some in-gear acceleration times of the PD140 are actually faster than the CR170 and all the in-gear times of the PD170 are appreciably quicker than the CR170 so the PD engine doesn't just feel quicker, it is.

The 50-70mph in 3rd gear of the CR170 is 3.7 seconds.. :)

You can read all the tests you like ... the subjective experience of driving the beasty is something else.

I had a leon FR with the PD170...fast. In gear acceleration was superb. It also had brilliant handling, could chase anything down on B roads, I did drive it hard mind. Not sure I want to try and do that in the Yeti (when it gets here!) :zzz: Least of all because it's a CR110!

As an aside, I've been hearing (and hoping) that the CR110 is actually the same engine as a CR140 but just de-tuned by software. I have a CR110 4x4 on order and plan to investigate a remap. Could be the biggest bargain if you can spend £400+VAT and have ~170bhp as tuners suspect may be the case. :rock: Keep an eye on Revo.

Test drove a 140 DSG in ice and snow and was excellent but did not really clog it.

Current 4 year old 140 PD DSG Octavia has now done 95000 miles and goes really well. It was noticable after around 40000 it seemed to improve noticably performance wise as the engine eased out and definatley has more umph.

Shame the 170 isn`t available in DSG as I would have had one.

Over 1 million miles of left foot clutch up and down (before last 2 Autos) combined with too much steep downhill descents walking on mountains and kicking opponents have resulted in a weary knee, even a fairly short trip in traffic in Fabia an it aches!.

Do think the DSG is a tremendous bit of kit but the extra power and the improved mpg on the 170 would be great.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Maffa

It is surprising that you can get the 170 engine in the Yeti - that's basically an Octavia vRS diesel!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:B) vroooooooooommmmm!!!!