Power steering failure

Hi,

My power steering light has come on and all power steering assistance has gone. My local garage has said it could well be the pump and they say the steering ecu (by which I presume they mean the sensor?) might need changing too. Obviously this is financially a little costly, so the garage has suggested shopping around the web for second hand parts. Any advice on where I might find these parts for the best value or any other part of this post would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 1.4 Elegance (W plate) by the way.

Ta very much.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm imagining the garage has looked the codes. They've had it all day and I know they have the correct tech as they've had it on before. I'll ask before I let them do anything though. Would the codes show exactly what it is or just a general idea?

Edited by CarOfRassilon

Angle sensor usually comes up with "Angle sensor, implausible correlation" or something like that. Best off finding someone with VCDS in your neighbourhood to see the codes for yourself. :)

Many, many threads about power steering issues so maybe having a wee search through first might help you!

But certainly get the fault codes read and post the results up. Maybe you should tell people whereabouts in the country you are and you might get some help!

If you can't get the codes read by another garage and you can't do things yourself....just get the steering angle sensor (Engine bay side of steering column at bottom of) replaced first.....on a "W" plate you might still have the factory one fitted which was a bad design...all the new ones are better as have a metal cap. B)

I've seen that fault code come up after a battery ran down a bit. After a charging and the car running every day the code never came back and the power steering was fine.

Other people have said an earth wire can go faulty under the battery and cause the same scenario.

Hi, and thanks for all of the replies.

Apparently they've looked at the codes and the sensor is working and signals are being correctly sent to the pump, which is just not functioning. Is this possible, and, if so, where would I get an affordable new pump from?

In answer to the question of location, I'm about halfway between Bolton and Wigan, so if anyone in that area could offer any assistance I'd be very thankful.

where would I get an affordable new pump from?

In answer to the question of location, I'm about halfway between Bolton and Wigan, so if anyone in that area could offer any assistance I'd be very thankful.

Try getting it remanufactured from this lot:

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx

B) B)

And the voltage in the battery before the car is started?

Does the pump work after the car is revved for a few seconds or left running for a bit?

No, there has been no sign of it working after the car running for 10 minutes +. The light is constant, and there is no assistance at all.

This happened me. After the battery is charged up a bit you should be able to turn it off and on again and the light on the dash will go out and the steering will start working again. Mine didn't seem to have working steering at all when the light was on. As soon as I reset it and tried again it was fine. Hasn't done it since. It happened mine because I was working on the car with the light and radio etc on and ran it down a bit too much.

This happened me. After the battery is charged up a bit you should be able to turn it off and on again and the light on the dash will go out and the steering will start working again. Mine didn't seem to have working steering at all when the light was on. As soon as I reset it and tried again it was fine. Hasn't done it since. It happened mine because I was working on the car with the light and radio etc on and ran it down a bit too much.

So if that were the case, how long are we talking to charge the battery to a level where it would reset?

It also happens to me with one of my cars.

After starting the light remains on, switch off and re-start, NO light and all is OK, however I will replace the battery before winter arrives.

DB.

Most PS steering faults where the warning light comes on is down to a failing or undercharged battery. Your battery could be very low on voltage and on it's way out. Try a substitute battery that is known to be a good one before you start changed parts. This problem usually happens in the winter when batteries are under more strain and doing short journeys.

Hi again, and thanks for the latest replies. I've been down to the garage and asked a few q's. The battery is fine and shows no reason for being the problem. The chap showed me a small metal box through the front grill by the left wheel, which he says is the required part. What is this?

Hi again, and thanks for the latest replies. I've been down to the garage and asked a few q's. The battery is fine and shows no reason for being the problem. The chap showed me a small metal box through the front grill by the left wheel, which he says is the required part. What is this?

PAS Pump.

Doesn't the Fabia's power steering have its own battery? Could that have failed without the main battery showing any symptoms of failure?

If I were to buy this part myself, where would I be looking? I've looked at what claims to be the PAS pump, but that doesn't look like the part we looked at. Is that metal casing just the housing that the pump sits in?

Why has no-one suggested checking the auxilliary drivebelt tension and/or the alternator sprague clutch yet? If either of these go, you get low alternator voltage, and even with a good battery, no electric motor running to drive the hydraulic PAS pump.

I'm not saying that either of them needs replacing; quite the revarse in that they want checking before you assume something expensive (sprague clutch is about the same money as battery, and way cheaper than an ECU, electric motor or hydraulic pump for PAS) needs replacing.