Todays Modding festivities

Busy busy busy

have fitted my forge intake now. Also had direct comparison with a stage 2 REVO Ibiza Cupra with full miltek exhaust and i won B) by the skin of my teeth :giggle: in all fairness they are neigh on identical on the road. Glad we had the comparison because it just showed REVOs claims of upto 230hp on stage 2 to be abit fairy tale, also it shows my car to be comparable which is something i obviously want.

Update to this thread

The fuel economy has stayed very good. Ive also now got a Forge intake fitted as well.

Car/engine: Fabia vRS 1.4TSI

Tuner/stage settings: Shark Performance stage 1+/2

Engine Modifications: Modified stock exhaust, Forge Intake.

Type of dyno: Dynodynamics

Misc details: standard exhaust butchered to reduce exhaust gas temps and increase flow, obviously not as free flowing as a full 3" TBE.

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

This is my new intake

SDC12817.JPG

In comparison, An Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI with stage 2 REVOwent on the rollers just after me at todays rolling road day.

Car/engine: Ibiza Bocanegra 1.4TSI

Tuner/stage settings: REVO stage 2

Engine Modifications: Miltek 2.75" full exhaust system

Type of dyno: Dynodynamics

Misc details: Setting B

IMAG0054.jpg

This is backed up on the road as well, they are very similar in performance with myself having the slight edge in the midrange. His sounds way nicer though, mine is really quie, if anything no louder than standard tbh.

Now onto the grill Mod

Before

SDC12561.jpg

After

SDC12816.JPG

SDC12818.JPG

SDC12815.JPG

No more power mods for me now, im happy with the power. the intercooler is still planned but i wont be after power with that, just cooler and safer running.

Now its chassis time....

Sounds pretty sweet! Think I'll be keeping mine stock for the foreseeable future, it's more than fast enough for me just now. Very interesting to see what you can do with the car though, keep the posts coming with them, I enjoy seeing what my car has the potential to be! haha! (Maybe some day ;) )

Good work mate :)

Is that the black pack grill or one you painted?

Been opening mine up a bit more each time I drive it as done 400 miles now, goes well :D

Really nice Sy. Revo guy must have spent a lot more than you did to get that to stage as well. You going for the Forge development inter or is someone else taking that? Inter will probably ass 5-10hp on I'm assuming.

Get your name down for the Castle Combe session in Sept :p

Sounds pretty sweet! Think I'll be keeping mine stock for the foreseeable future, it's more than fast enough for me just now. Very interesting to see what you can do with the car though, keep the posts coming with them, I enjoy seeing what my car has the potential to be! haha! (Maybe some day ;) )

ditto.

Same here. Going to wait until warranty is out before I start modifying. My logic is by the time 3 years are up I'll remap and modify and it will be like having a new car again

How does it affect your warranty and insurance?

just declare it to insurance, its not too expensive (the map on my previous fiat cost me nothing when I declared it!) and you loose your warrenty to anything that the map could damage ect, but some companies (like superchips) warrenty the stuff that the manufacturer then wont!)

Was a good result on the rollers :thumbup:

Are you going to do a how to on the grill removal :rofl:

Pull, Break, snap :D

cant wait to see the photos of that. I need to find the thread were one of the brisky member said it was easy. i dont remember him shoe horning a screwdriver in to get it out :giggle:

@ ADLav- this is the monte 2 piece carlo grill. £67 incl Vat from the stealership.

@ reavenger. I got the Stage 1 and 2 map for free as i was the development car. the downpipe was £60 to have butchered and rewelded and the intake was £80 second hand. so far £140. Jason with his REVO also got a good deal but is still about £1500 out of pocket over me. No idea if im getting hte forge. I doubt they would let me after i said their discount offer wasnt worth it :giggle:

@ Didescharlie - to be honest its only about an extra £100 a year to have all the work done that im doing on insurance.

@ Hurdy - I took muckipup out in my car (he has the 334hp octavia vRS and he was pretty shocked at the lack of lag and pull ow down. he reckoned he'd have been spinning tyres big style even with his diff, and i was only having minor traction issues despite being really wet. Great car but as said on SCN, dont go expecting revos claimed figures because it isnt happening. i think 225-230hp could be achieved with the intercooler, intake, Full DECAT exhaust and 99 ron fuel on DD rollers but you would be on the limit id imagine.

@ Hurdy - I took muckipup out in my car (he has the 334hp octavia vRS and he was pretty shocked at the lack of lag and pull ow down. he reckoned he'd have been spinning tyres big style even with his diff, and i was only having minor traction issues despite being really wet. Great car but as said on SCN, dont go expecting revos claimed figures because it isnt happening. i think 225-230hp could be achieved with the intercooler, intake, Full DECAT exhaust and 99 ron fuel on DD rollers but you would be on the limit id imagine.

Don't worry Sy, this project is being approached from a different angle

I'll be doing the hardware mods first and it will also have some weight reduction as well as suspension mods and some BBS or OZ alloys. From the mods I did on the ED30 the few decent ones centred around unsprung weight reduction, brake upgrade(NQSBBK), engine breathing and suspension tweaks. Ultimate power isn't the aim of this car, balance is the key B)

just declare it to insurance, its not too expensive (the map on my previous fiat cost me nothing when I declared it!) and you loose your warrenty to anything that the map could damage ect, but some companies (like superchips) warrenty the stuff that the manufacturer then wont!)

Regarding the warranty Shark, would something like brakes be included as something the map could affect? I'd assume that your ability to go faster would be arguable by Skoda as possibly stressing the components that make you stop. Just wondering...

Love seeing this. I just can't wait to get mine. In 3 years time there will be just as many mods if not more than the Mk1. What stuff you taking out to reduce weight? Just lighter wheels and brakes?

Regarding the warranty Shark, would something like brakes be included as something the map could affect? I'd assume that your ability to go faster would be arguable by Skoda as possibly stressing the components that make you stop. Just wondering...

I phoned Skoda to ask. Was told by John that any modification would be reason enough for the warranty to be void. It would "give them reason".

Janner is there a miltek exhaust available for the vRS yet?

I know that there has been a full Milltek turbo-back system developed for the Polo GTI, but I cannot say 100% that it is a direct bolt-on with the VRS.

Can anyone confirm if the exhaust tunnel and shape is the same as the VRS?

milltekunderneath.jpg

milltek2.jpg

Can anyone confirm if the exhaust tunnel and shape is the same as the VRS?

The exhaust up to the tip is exactly the same.

The tip off the exhaust is not curved the same way on the Polo GTI as it is on the Fabia vRS.

It's actually more straight on the Fabia : http://www.garaget.org/?car=241122ℑ=2263927

That pictures is a pre-production picture, but if you want power then go for the first part off the exhaust (along with a 100 cell racekat).

Edited by Confide

What stuff you taking out to reduce weight? Just lighter wheels and brakes?

There's quite a bit that can be taken out to make the car lighter. It just depends on how far you want to strip the car or how much money you have to source alternative lighter upgrade parts.

On the Fabia you can replace and/or relocate the stock battery for a redtop/braille battery that weighs around 8-10kg less than stock.

I don't know exactly what the OEM wheels weigh on the VRS, but on the Polo GTI they weigh 11kg. Changing to something like OZ Alleggeritas will reduce this to 6.4kg - a reduction of 4.6kg a corner or 18.4kg off the unsprung rotating mass. Removing just 1kg from the unsprung rotating mass is the equivalent in aiding accelleration of removing 5kg off the static body mass of the car, so 18.4kg equates to 92kg from the static mass.

Then there's the brakes, upgrading brakes to a larger diameter will give you extra rotating mass , so to counter this you can specify 2 piece discs which can be bigger and yet still weigh the same as smaller oem discs. The advantage comes from the calipers - the OEM single pot calipers are made from cast steel/iron and weigh far too much, upgrading to something like a lightweight alloy caliper can save around 3kg a corner (usually fronts only on a FWD car).

Next there's the OEM front seats - again these weigh far too much, but the weight can be reduced by fitting lightweight bucket seats (in an Edition 30 the seats weigh 37kg EACH!!! and you can replace them with bucket seats and mountings that are just 10kg each - a saving of 54kg for just 2 seats!!). The VRS should have lighter seats than the ED30, but I'd like to bet that you could still save around 20-30kg by fitting lightweight bucket seats.

Conservatively if you change just the battery, remove the spare tyre and replace it with a tyre repair bottle, seats and alloys you could reduce the weight of a VRS by around 75kg, which is about 6% of the car's weight. B)

A full strip out and maximum reduction should see the car around the one ton mark. :thumbup:

you have to ask yourself are you likely to have any issues with your brakes? having a map doesnt mean i drive everywhere flat out. Im uprating the brakes anyway :yes:

Nope not yet.

Janner, has your MPG dropped off at all since installing the Forge kit ?

not that ive noticed tbh

What brake upgrade are you considering Sy?

Mk4 R32 334mm twinpot front brakes, with mk4 golf rear brakes(cant remember the size but they were substantially bigger). Dont want it to look anything other than oem. Ive got the stage 2 performance with practically no change in exhaust volume, i dont want anyone to know its mapped. I like stealth cars that catch people out :giggle: