Tesco momentum 99 Ron

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucking the trend, I prefer the Tesco 99 at the moment. Ifind that it gives a better throttle response than V-Power, which recently hasseemed a bit flat - almost as if the turbo wasn't functioning properly. Worksgreat on Tesco 99 so I will be using this for a while.

I suspect it may also have something to do with fuel turnover at the fillingstation. V-Power is very expensive where I live and I doubt it sells in hugequantities (compared to Tesco 99 which has a smaller price premium to standardfuel). I recall seeing something in Evo mag (I think) that said fuel can gostale after a while with a drop in octane - could be rollocks but might explainmy scenario ?

pound a litre.

Showing my age a bit here, after I passed my test I was getting 3 gallons (13.5ltr ish) 10 Embassy Regal and 3p change out of a pound.

Remember when we were up in arms when unleaded passed £1? emoticon-0108-speechless.gif

Now £1.34 is a bargain.....

mmm..perhaps the word 'bargain' should be replaced with 'less of a rip-off'. lol

@mison You might find your new map was designed for higher octane fuel, I would give Ben at Shark a call and ask his advice. I'm sure it will still run OK on 95 but kind of negates the point of the improvements you were after.

pound a litre.

Showing my age a bit here, after I passed my test I was getting 3 gallons (13.5ltr ish) 10 Embassy Regal and 3p change out of a pound.

When I had my Lambretta LD I paid 4s 4d for a gallon of 2 star petroil....so there!

By the way, I got an email from MoneySavingExpert that if you have up to as many as 3 Tesco coupons for 5p per litre discount, within their valid dates, you can use them all on one fill up, so getting 15p litre discoount.

Edited by ednmra

mixed bag of results but momentum works for me so far, as another poster said never had any issues with supermarket fuel either diesel or petrol so for me its a no brainer at the moment - my car aint fussy either way so I'll continue to save myself a few quid - have been regularly using the 5p voucher, that saves a few quid for starters and momentum is also about 6p a litre cheaper than v power.

I always use Momentum 99 in my Shark stage 1 Octy RS. I find it gives me more mpgs than V power and is more responsive. I recently filled the tank with V power and it felt flat and didnt gve me any more than 35 mpg even on motorway cruising when I normally get up to 42 mpg with Momentum! I filled with V power as my car was missing under load but it turned out to be bad spark plugs.

Momentum is good fuel and you will get slight hesitation when you first use it as the ECU is adapting to it. Usually they say about 2 to 3 full tanks of fuel for it to fully adjust to the fuel.

I tried the momentum which I thought was very good but if vpower and momentum were the same price it would definitely be vpower. 95 ron gives me more timing pull than the higher octane petrol, by no means extreme but performance is reduced by a fair margin. I'm on stage 3.

Well went to tesco for fuel today, 61 quid :'(

decided to stick with 99 for time being, this will be the first tank of pure 99 as last 2 were probably a bit of a mixture, well see how it goes.

Sorry, not tryin to promote Tesco, it's purely geographical.

Tesco is about 1/4 mile away from the house, Asda about 1 mile and anything else involves going over the two most congested roads in town.

My party piece is just what if any Difference between 95 and 99.

Edited by John T

I was running Tesco Momentum 99 in my new Octy vRS.

However after reading that the new TSI engine really only needs 95 RON I actually switched to Tesco standard.

I've noticed no loss of MPG (I still get around 400 miles from a full tank) and no noticeable loss of power.

In fact the car feels exactly the same on the 95 and 99 RON fuels.

I use Tesco because they are on my route to work and with the Tesco credit card I get loads of clubcard points for hotel stays and trips abroad :)

You get what you pay for, its cheap for a reason !!

I had to use it a few years ago when Shell drivers were on strike & after a couple of tanks the car was pants until ragged, something you dont want to do all the time, mpg slowly fell as well

You get what you pay for, its cheap for a reason !!

I had to use it a few years ago when Shell drivers were on strike & after a couple of tanks the car was pants until ragged, something you dont want to do all the time, mpg slowly fell as well

Round my way anyway Tesco can be 1p dearer than Shell. The only reason I got to Tesco is that to get to Shell it's a 5 mile / 30min round trip into town.

Round my way anyway Tesco can be 1p dearer than Shell. The only reason I got to Tesco is that to get to Shell it's a 5 mile / 30min round trip into town.

I use it only because SWMBO shops there and often gets the "5p off" voucher. Their 95 seems okay in the 1.8TSi

By the way, I got an email from MoneySavingExpert that if you have up to as many as 3 Tesco coupons for 5p per litre discount, within their valid dates, you can use them all on one fill up, so getting 15p litre discoount.

Unfortunately not according to the Tesco T&Cs (second bullet point)

http://tesco.com/termsandconditions/termsconditionsGeneral.htm#Petrol

Sorry for the full hyperlink - using my mobile.

EDIT: Might be out of date though as that is for vouchers until June 2011...

Edited by Lemming

Unfortunately not according to the Tesco T&Cs (second bullet point)

http://tesco.com/termsandconditions/termsconditionsGeneral.htm#Petrol

Sorry for the full hyperlink - using my mobile.

EDIT: Might be out of date though as that is for vouchers until June 2011...

I get this regular email news from Martyn Lewis' site and for a while you can use 3 coupons per transaction. Have a look at

http://www.tesco.com/petrol-promotion/?rel=external

I get this regular email news from Martyn Lewis' site and for a while you can use 3 coupons per transaction. Have a look at

http://www.tesco.com/petrol-promotion/?rel=external

Thanks for that - Off to sign up as I've seen him of Watchdog a few times but never got around to it.

Sorry for the mis-information all

I'd use those coupons if TESCO EVER HAD ANY RON99 THERE.

Last three times I've attempted to fill up, ALL of their Super Unleaded pumps were empty.

Not happy!

Tesco momentum I believe uses additives to get the octane up where are Shell refine their vpower to that level.

Yeah. Momentum's a cheaper base stock blended with enhancers (like MMT* and ethanol) to arrive at a cheap to produce "super unleaded".

It's not always obvious (it wasn't to me initially), maybe due to fantastic advertising budgets, but there's more to petrol than the RON (or MON or PON) number(s). It does conform to BS (EN) 7800 which is the requirement for super unleaded, but the requirements of that, it's probably fair to say, are more about "green" issues than performance. For example, a litre of momentum has a lower calorific value than a litre of say, vpower, but this does not compromise the compliance with BS 7800.

Tesco fuel is a mix of high grade fuel and bunker fuel and asdas use bunker fuel (bottom of barrel fuel). hope this clears things up a bit.

Yep, pretty much the idea. It's a blend of cracked naphtha**, aromatics (smaller quantities than say vpower - which is good for the environment, but not for power potential), ethanol and other fractions of crude.

* Potentially nasty stuff for humans: linked with brain damage; illegal in many countries; was illegal here for many years. Can't find the reason it was made legal again, can only find research and scientific opinions saying this stuff looks nasty, needs more investigation. Also thought to be nasty for engines, it is NOT recommended by a lot of engine manufacturers. There's some pictures of an engine teardown is you google "mmt saab" also lookup the Ford report on MMT.

** Naphtha isn't petrol, when you distill crude oil you get various "fractions", the one below petrol is naphtha. This isn't much use (RON value 40-70 depending on whether it's heavy / medium / light naphtha) but can be reformed using a catalyst or cracked, into petrol - which is obviously much more valuable, that's then blended with various additives et voila! Cheap super unleaded. Not as "good" as say vpower but potentially greener and certainly a fair bit cheaper.

Never used tesco fuel I have always pritty much used shell.So can any fuel experts on here say if its worth using say v power to just filling with ordinary fuel.Reason when I had my scoob was told must use v power only,after a while i thought just what if i used ordinary shell fuel,so i did and for months couldn't notice much difference in performance,maybe a slight drop but not enough to badly affect the car or suffer mechanically.Some i know who also had scoobs used tesco 99 and loved it in the scoob wouldn't use anything else.

Now the octy i have used shell v power diesel and still can't really notice any big difference,sometimes i thought yea seems to have a bit more grunt,or am i expecting too much.

Still don't think its worth paying the extra cost for it.

Yeah. Momentum's a cheaper base stock blended with enhancers (like MMT* and ethanol) to arrive at a cheap to produce "super unleaded".

It's not always obvious (it wasn't to me initially), maybe due to fantastic advertising budgets, but there's more to petrol than the RON (or MON or PON) number(s). It does conform to BS (EN) 7800 which is the requirement for super unleaded, but the requirements of that, it's probably fair to say, are more about "green" issues than performance. For example, a litre of momentum has a lower calorific value than a litre of say, vpower, but this does not compromise the compliance with BS 7800.

Yep, pretty much the idea. It's a blend of cracked naphtha**, aromatics (smaller quantities than say vpower - which is good for the environment, but not for power potential), ethanol and other fractions of crude.

* Potentially nasty stuff for humans: linked with brain damage; illegal in many countries; was illegal here for many years. Can't find the reason it was made legal again, can only find research and scientific opinions saying this stuff looks nasty, needs more investigation. Also thought to be nasty for engines, it is NOT recommended by a lot of engine manufacturers. There's some pictures of an engine teardown is you google "mmt saab" also lookup the Ford report on MMT.

** Naphtha isn't petrol, when you distill crude oil you get various "fractions", the one below petrol is naphtha. This isn't much use (RON value 40-70 depending on whether it's heavy / medium / light naphtha) but can be reformed using a catalyst or cracked, into petrol - which is obviously much more valuable, that's then blended with various additives et voila! Cheap super unleaded. Not as "good" as say vpower but potentially greener and certainly a fair bit cheaper.

V power also has up tp 5% ethanol added, the same as Momentum. Check the spec sheets.

As for 'containing nasty stuff', all petrol is harmful to humans, how about Benzene, its in both. Just about as nasty as it gets. Wouldnt say thats very 'green'

Tesco don't always buy from the same oil company So Tesco 95 and super may be different each time you buy it.

Was stuck the other day and filled the car with Jet 95RON. Car ran fine. It's only Supermarket 95RON that my VRS doesn't like.