'06 VRS Brakes - not impressed

Wondered if anyone can suggest possible problems with my brakes on the VRS . In general use they are perfectly ok and inital bike feels quite powerful, but I havent got a massive amount of faith in them in an emergency. :whew:

Initial bite is quite sharp (over servoed?), they are fine in normal use. Its when pressing on or an emegency, they need a really firm press of the pedal from motorway speeds, and if slamming on the brakes the abs seems to kick in very early with quite big pulses through the pedal that feel plain wrong. My last audis brakes were different class.

Car recently passed its MOT with no advisories, the front pads have about 1cm of pad material left and are Unipart (I didnt put these on). The rear brake pads say brembo and have about 0.5 mm left. The front tyres are newish michelin pilot sport 3's.

I cant find any record of a brake fluid change and the car is an 06 plate, so this could be the first option????, but I think something else could be amiss.

Any ideas before I book it in the main dealers and will they even have a clue or just swap pads/discs and fluid out at great expense?

:thumbup:

Wouldn't bother with the dealers. Get the fluid changed and get some new pads (from an indy if you can't/don't want to do it). Then see how the brakes are......

A brake fluid change would have been recommended once, if not twice, by now, so worth a check. It may very well have had discs and pads in a previous ownership? If so, it may not have had at least OEM parts. Some will fit some "grim" stuff to save money!

Better pads are often suggested by other vRS owners. My previous 06 vRS always seemed fine on the standard pads, until you drove it in areas like the Peaks, where persistant, firm & heavy braking was needed to haul up what is a heavy car. In the end, because I modified the car to about 280bhp, I fitted S3 disc pads and callipers all round. The abs certainly does pump through the pedal IMHO.

If you have any concerns over brakes, have them properly checked ASAP, an MOT only means that the car performed within legal specified tolerances on a given day, it doesn't mean that all is as it should for a specific model.

Thanks for the replies, the brakes are very average in an emergency stop (or pulling up sharp from speed), they would be fine on a car with 100bhp, not good with 200bhp and potential 149mph on tap.

In a panic moment, the abs kicks in I would say very early, but then I can sense what feels like 'big' gaps in the pulses as though the brakes are being let off too long.

Car done 85K now, previous owner put nasty cheap tyres on and before that it was company owned, chances are could be cheap discs to go with the unipart pads and a long overdue brake fluid change.

OEM front pads and discs and fluid sounds like a good starting point. :thumbup:

Just posted in other brake thread but prob as useful in here too: http://www.apbrakediscs.co.uk/front-brembo-brake-discs-vw-golf-v-2-0i-16v-tfsi-gti-04-to-10-08.html

Brembo front discs on offer, think free delivery too, at least it was a couple of weeks back.

Brake fluid is scheduled to be changed every 2 years. Just had mine done with the 4yr service.

BTW timing belt is also due at 4yr if its not been done already.

I've always found the brakes on the Octy to be lacking bite. I've never had a problem with them and I've just got used to the character of the brakes.

I'm still on the original discs and pads but they're due for a change soon.

As said, a fluid change could well help dramatically, especially if it's not been changed for a while. Suggested change is every 2yrs.

I put some Tarox RoadRace in mine last time, Super DOT 4. Have 2x 500ml bottles spare, unopened, if you wanted them? 1L will enable a full change on the Octy2. Was just going to put a For Sale up about it actually, but if you're interested drop me a PM.

Had my breakfluid changed earlier this year (08 Scout) by a main stealer and I think the breaks actually got worse!

Also wait until you experience the "Break assist" kick in! It feels very strange the first time!

'Just do...' (!!)

It's hardly as black and white as that. Brakes are still quite important, even of an advanced driving system. Therefore having increased confidence in them will help your overall drive.

it's often not a case of breaking 'as hard', it's how the brakes respond when you apply them.

I'm not sure if this helps but my 08 vRS brakes are brilliant. I had a Cavalier Turbo with upgraded 4 pots and I think this stops almost as good as that did. It took me a while to get use to them as they bite quite hard quite quick, the missus almost did an emergency stop the first time she drove it. Maybe go for a full disc and pad change, pads/discs may have crap on them that doesn't bother the car on normal braking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octavia-vRS-2-0-TFSi-11-05-Front-Rear-Brake-Discs-Pads-/170651618309?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bba10c05

Rough idea of price and mintex are pretty good. Obviously each to their own, I'm just going on previous experience.

Just do an advanced driving course then you won't find youself having to brake as hard, just look a bit further in front of you. regards Monkster.

I generally try and avoid braking hard and anticipate traffic to save fuel.

I'm not sure if this helps but my 08 vRS brakes are brilliant. I had a Cavalier Turbo with upgraded 4 pots and I think this stops almost as good as that did. It took me a while to get use to them as they bite quite hard quite quick, the missus almost did an emergency stop the first time she drove it. Maybe go for a full disc and pad change, pads/discs may have crap on them that doesn't bother the car on normal braking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Octavia-vRS-2-0-TFSi-11-05-Front-Rear-Brake-Discs-Pads-/170651618309?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bba10c05

Rough idea of price and mintex are pretty good. Obviously each to their own, I'm just going on previous experience.

cheers will have a look into it.

I was a cop for 30 yrs and an advanced police driver for 25, in the road traffic division and serious crime squad, so I do know what I'm talking about. regards Monkster.

ok you were a trained professional driver MOST of us arent and would like some descent brakes in case of an emergency, if someone pulls out in front of you or a kid runs out you need to stop!!

my advice is try a set of good quality pads and discs, pagid, mintex ferodo.

euro car parts stock pagid gear

here you go My link, pagid discs and pads from euro car parts plus 25% discount if you join freedom

I agree that advanced driving skills are an important issue, but the OP felt that their brakes weren't working properly/effectively, and this was the source of the concern.

As an advanced driver you know that you make sure your vehicle is working correctly before setting off and if not, you get it checked out, essential when the issue is a safety related one!

Even as an advanced driver I noticed that in certain situations the standard 312mm set up could develop some degree of fade, limiting feedback and efficiency. So as I intended to modify the performance of my vehicle, the first thing I did was improve the stopping efficiency by fitting the S3 setup. I did this all round too so as not to alter the brake bias. I know there are many who just update the fronts and accept the difference, but having driven an oct with uprated fronts only, and one with a fully uprated setup, you do notice the difference!

IMHO have the effectiveness of the standard system checked before you alter anything! Also i seem to remember a thread on here about some uprated pads no longer being "road" approved. IE not an acceptable replacement for road use. This could cause stopping problems when they are cold, and could invalidate insurance etc. So when you are checking it out, just see what is or isn't "actually" fitted!

Thanks for the replies, the brakes are very average in an emergency stop (or pulling up sharp from speed), they would be fine on a car with 100bhp, not good with 200bhp and potential 149mph on tap.

In a panic moment, the abs kicks in I would say very early, but then I can sense what feels like 'big' gaps in the pulses as though the brakes are being let off too long.

Car done 85K now, previous owner put nasty cheap tyres on and before that it was company owned, chances are could be cheap discs to go with the unipart pads and a long overdue brake fluid change.

OEM front pads and discs and fluid sounds like a good starting point. :thumbup:

I assume you have changed the nasty cheap tyres, if not then thats the first port of call, ABS cuts in because the wheels arent gripping, if the ABS is banging away then the car has no grip. This can also be caused on uneven roads by worn suspension not keeping the tyres on the road but at only 80 odd K it should still be OK (ish).

Next as others have said some decent fluid, Dot 5.1 is IMO the best & pretty cheap at Halfrauds, then some decent pads. Discs as well if they are cheap pattern ones. Ive found std Skoda parts more than adequate for general driving, if you tend to push the car then look at upgrades, especially the pads

You may find some of these a decent knowledge base http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

Edited by Stuart_J

My brakes are indeed like these they bite quick and hard.Took me a week or two to adjust to them and now when i drive the wife's car i think it hasn't got any.