Bolero radio shortage

valep

Dealer has just phoned me to tell me there is a shortage of Bolero units, so I will be getting the Amundsen sat nav unlt and the good news is that the build week is now moved forward one week to week 37. What are the pro's and con's of this Amundsen unit. Ordered Greenline 11 Elegance Corrida Red on the 20/04/11

Edited by valep

It might have sat nav but it does not have a six disc CD player. The one slot it does have is for the sat nav maps. But then again I hardly ever listen to my CDs and only use the SD card to be honest so for me this would not be a big loss.

CD's - you old dinosaur.

:giggle: :giggle: As stated I'm not! I'm just pointing out TO the dinosaurs what the issues will be in not getting a Bolero! hehehe

I`ve had the same 6 cd`s in the back of the Octavia for at least 18 months and very rarely listen to them!Couldn`t tell you which ones they are but probably complilations I got free with Sunday paper.

As you will gather I am a radio man. 5 live but the receptions often c-ap on MW or Radio 2 or LW (reception even worse or non existant!)for the cricket which will be a no no on the Yeti :no: but the thought of being able to play stuff from SD or my Ipod which is sitting on my dock in the bay (window)is a good idea especially when Wonderwomen and myself are on our world Yeti adventure! :D

The bolero seems good so far, can't see myself using cd's, C.D. multichanger seems as dated on a new car as a tape player on a car 5 years ago, put an S.D. card in with some music today, and found it great. Think its strange there isn't Ipod connectivity as standard, esp on the elegance. And there seems to be a lot of cars that don't have digital radio as standard, which is bizarre. Surely it can't be hard to make touchscreens as the bolero to play DVD's or T.V if desired.

Ah so the dealer was telling the truth when he told me that a couple of weeks ago :)

I posted it another thread somewhere ;)

I think the amundsen can have the maps copied from the CD to the SD card, but don't hold me to that, only what the dealer said.

The only downside I can think of is the rather ugly aux in slot in the radio panel, or the smaller screen. But having Sat Nav must be handy, and I think the Amundsen is a Blaupunkt unit, like the Bolero, whilst the RNS510 is made by VDO Continental (the people who make tires)

http://www.my-gti.com/719/differences-between-the-volkswagen-rcd-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rcd-510-and-the-rns-510

Edited by My_Yeti

Ah so the dealer was telling the truth when he told me that a couple of weeks ago :)

I posted it another thread somewhere ;)

I think the amundsen can have the maps copied from the CD to the SD card, but don't hold me to that, only what the dealer said.

which might make it a little faster to use then the Columbus.

I presume from your description that the unit has sat nav whilst the Bolero does not. One up for the Amundsen.

I believe that shortly the Amundsen will replace the Bolero anyway so this may just be a case of it happening ahead of schedule.

I dont think so... Amundsen has 5" display while Bolero has 6.5" I dont like Amundsen very much - i think its too small and too fiddly compared to Bolero.

Ps.. we had this problem with Bolero shortage here also (and were replaced by Amundsen units) earlier but no more. Boleros are coming just fine from factory

Edited by ents

According to the info in My Yeti's link

On the RNS310 the nav files are copied from the CD to the SD card and used from there.

SD card can also be used for MP3 files so by the sound of it you can have music and nav at the same time.

Thinking about it a bit more... Data cannot be read from two different points on the SD card at the same time so although you can have music on the SD card, if you want to listen to it while using the satnav for directions then it ain't gonna work.

Maybe CDs have a place after all? :giggle:

I suspect it can't be long before we start to have hard drives for our music instead of cd's and sd cards. A number of higher end cars have this already. No need for an ipod point then as your car will become like an ipod. Will the touchscreen be as sexy as an apple product though?

I suspect it can't be long before we start to have hard drives for our music instead of cd's and sd cards. A number of higher end cars have this already. No need for an ipod point then as your car will become like an ipod. Will the touchscreen be as sexy as an apple product though?

The brochure does not make this clear but the Columbus comes standard with a hard drive already for exactly this reason! :thumbup:

Hope they change mine for an Amundsen unit too. The Columbus is a great system probably the best I've used, my experience of it is actually the VW version, RNS510. The hard drive is excellent and moved all my music from SD card on to it in minutes, the voice control is ok and the Sat Nav very good, sound wise also good. I have never had a CD in the car since we got it so I wouldn't miss this with the Amundsen.

Good though the Columbus is I just couldn't justify the cost so missed this option. The RNS510 came with the Golf as part of the package offered as a deal by VW.

I am very happy with the new Amundsen + version available at least on the Norwegian market. It has DAB, and the maps no longer stored on SD card or on a cd, but internally in memory. Would assume that this unit also is available (soon?) in the UK market.

Dealer has just phoned me to tell me there is a shortage of Bolero units, so I will be getting the Amundsen sat nav unlt and the good news is that the build week is now moved forward one week to week 37. What are the pro's and con's of this Amundsen unit. Ordered Greenline 11 Elegance Corrida Red on the 20/04/11

I am very happy with the new Amundsen + version available at least on the Norwegian market. It has DAB, and the maps no longer stored on SD card or on a cd, but internally in memory. Would assume that this unit also is available (soon?) in the UK market.

There is a good number of people, me included, who would love this as Skoda currently do not offer DAB in the UK. If you have it now then hopefully it should not be long.

I've been playing with the amundsen for the last couple of days in my temporary car while I wait for the yeti (its a 2010 vw scirocco).

I have to say I like it, the nav function is good. I haven't found the option to copy the maps from the CD to the SD but I'm sure its just a case of RTFM :)

The SD/aux and other input slots work well. Very happy with it so far.

Only annoying thing is that the car doesn't have bluetooth so I'm missing my old parrot mki9200.

The brochure does not make this clear but the Columbus comes standard with a hard drive already for exactly this reason! :thumbup:

Why do you need harddrive when Bolero reads 32GB SD cards?

As does the Columbus. For when you have a 60GB music database? The maps are also stored on the hard drive, so in reality you only have abut 20GB space on the built in hard drive.

The Bolero does NOT have a hard drive. Only the Columbus has one! And I have nearly 60gb of music as well so would have loved an HD for sure! Also the resolution on the Columbus is YEARS better than that of the Bolero. The Columbus looks HD quality and the Bolero like an out of focus Polaroid camera in comparison. :giggle: