What's everyone's favourite beer of the moment?

Jigger72

I've always drunk lager since I could get served in pubs, never Fosters or any watery rubbish, and I used to like the hoppy Czech lagers, although as I near the big 40 mark, I only drink the Becks Vier, Amstel, Stella 4%, stuff as I can't stand the thick head that Kronenbourg, Budvar et al, bring on, but I'm increasingly getting into real ale.

It all started on holiday in Southwold a few years ago when I felt that I should at least try the local Adnams beer and they were doing Explorer in all the pubs, which I loved. Anyway, I prefer the golden beers over the darker, more malty, varieties so I've been experimenting and tasting and I think I've been totally converted.

On holiday in Dorset this year I was drinking Piddle in a Bottle, which is fermented in the bottle, and it was delicious. I've also been trying out Hooky Beer from Oxford and some of the golden ales from the Badger brewery.

Tonight I'm enjoying a couple of bottles of Sainsbury's TTD Kentish Ale from the Shepherd Neame brewery in Kent because it was on offer at £1.26 a bottle, and I must say it's going down a treat.

Sorry for the rambling intro (that's what you do after a couple of jars :rofl:), but what's everyone else's favourite golden ale? :yes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably biased, but there are much, much better beers out there than the likes of Shepherd Neame and Greene King. What is available in a bottle is another matter, but keep an eye out for Thornbridge, Acorn, Blue Monkey, Castle Rock, Cairngorm etc.

Which part of the country are you in? Golden ales are more commonly produced 'oop north (especially in Yorkshire and Derbyshire) so you're more likely to get them on draught around here, but bottled versions of some of the above can still be found from time to time all over the place.

Best bet is get yourself to a (good, i.e., CAMRA operated) beer festival. You can try loads of different beers and ask other drinkers/staff which beers are interesting.

Real ale is an absolutely huge topic to start breaking into, unfortunately there are plenty of rubbish and average breweries (the majority of the big ones tend to fall into the latter catagory unfortunately). Keep an eye out for 'micro-breweries' and see what you find. :)

P.S. - join CAMRA if you're getting into ale, it's not expensive and supports the cause! :thumbup:

The best (I Think) after many tastings!! :giggle: are the older breweries...less fizz....my top 10...not in any order. I have tried most of the (new) micro breweries up here...Cairngorm (local), Black Isle (local), Isle of Arran, etc etc...but find the taste "shallow" and the beer fizzy! B)

1. Badger brewery....Golden Champion...goes with anything

2. Badger brewery....Golden Glory......summer in a bottle..nice and light

3. Badger brewery....Poachers choice.....for heavy steak/red meat meals

4. Innes & Gunn.....Rum cask verion (black label)........as above but smoother

5. Innes & Gunn.....Blonde (blue label).......very nice light

6. Innes & Gunn.....Standard (red label)......heavier verson of above

7. Bellhaven Brewery......Fruit beer.......version of a german berry beer..very nice....alcoholic Ribbina!

8. Bagder brewery.......Hopping hare.....very hoppy but still smooth

9. Badger brewery.....First Gold......goes with anything

10.Marstons brewery.....Pedigree.....nice

All the beers get stored in a cupboard in a cool darkish room with the light/pale coloured beers receiving a quick 20mins in the freezer before drinking to chill them! The darker beers get 15mins in the fridge just to lightly cool them! B)

EDIT

Just reread the OP.... :giggle: ....there are a few "dark" beers in the list nos 3,4,and 10?

P.S. I can also recommend some good Ciders and whiskey......(Talisker is my favorite)...but thats OT!

Edited by fabdavrav

Moorhouses, all the varieties, mainly Blonde Witch though.

Żywiec and Tyskie, both Polish lagers, absolutely fantastic for lagers!

The Budweiser fridge in my bedroom is usually stocked up as well :)

Was at Lytham Beer Festival the other week, was a bit disappointed though, think I was picking out the wrong beers.

Had a new one at the local Weatherspoons last night, was called Hopmesiter, was bloody horrible though, really too tangy.

The best (I Think) after many tastings!! :giggle: are the older breweries...less fizz....my top 10...not in any order. I have tried most of the (new) micro breweries up here...Cairngorm (local), Black Isle (local), Isle of Arran, etc etc...but find the taste "shallow" and the beer fizzy! B)

1. Badger brewery....Golden Champion...goes with anything

2. Badger brewery....Golden Glory......summer in a bottle..nice and light

3. Badger brewery....Poachers choice.....for heavy steak/red meat meals

8. Bagder brewery.......Hopping hare.....very hoppy but still smooth

9. Badger brewery.....First Gold......goes with anything

All the beers get stored in a cupboard in a cool darkish room with the light/pale coloured beers receiving a quick 20mins in the freezer before drinking to chill them! The darker beers get 15mins in the fridge just to lightly cool them! B)

EDIT

Just reread the OP.... :giggle: ....there are a few "dark" beers in the list nos 3,4,and 10?

P.S. I can also recommend some good Ciders and whiskey......(Talisker is my favorite)...but thats OT!

Love Badger beer, but then I am a little biased as I live 2 miles from the brewery. Looking forward to thursday and a guided tour, and a few pints afterwards.

post-47-0-81151500-1316934547_thumb.jpg

I've fallen into the (bad) habit of drinking whatever fizzy **** that passes itself off as lager is available when I go out. Tend not to end up in real beer places unfortunately. Although did go into a couple of Belgian Beer places in town (Altrincham) the other week but was a bit half cut to really take much notice :rofl:

Occasionally buy the ale crate that's on offer at Costco, a feww of the Badger ales are alright, and brakspear's Oxford gold in the other crate is rather nice. Otherwise it's a bit hit and miss trying the odd random bottled beer when out shopping. Got a bit of a thing for Blue Moon after trying it in New York as I like that fruity White beer style. Even a Kronenburg Blanc would do for me.

Really need to get myself out to the local small brewery to try some of their stuff.

Sorry for the rambling intro (that's what you do after a couple of jars :rofl:), but what's everyone else's favourite golden ale? :yes:

The Hoard or Heriot from Backyard Brewhouse (just up the road), Best Bitter from Bathams, Timothy Taylor Landlord.

I do like Greene King IPA, but I find that it's popularity has meant that it's not uncommon to get a bad pint of it, sadly.

Best bet is get yourself to a (good, i.e., CAMRA operated) beer festival. You can try loads of different beers and ask other drinkers/staff which beers are interesting.

Real ale is an absolutely huge topic to start breaking into, unfortunately there are plenty of rubbish and average breweries (the majority of the big ones tend to fall into the latter catagory unfortunately). Keep an eye out for 'micro-breweries' and see what you find. :)

P.S. - join CAMRA if you're getting into ale, it's not expensive and supports the cause! :thumbup:

+1, without a doubt.

Too many to choose from but these are near the top of my list.

Black Sheep

Golden Sheep

Timothy Taylors Landlords

Copper Dragon Golden Pippin

Nelsons Revenge

Many more good beers about but I,m beginning to feel drunk thinking about them! :giggle: