Show us your winter wheels

Here are my winter wheels on the vRS. Gone from 18 inch summers to 16 inch winters. Wheels are Autec Z in Matt Grey from Race and Road (good service). Tyres are Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D which were supplied and fitted onto the wheels (and then onto the car) by ATS Euromaster. It was £360 for the wheels and £430 for the tyres including fitting, so not cheap but I'm very pleased with the performance in the cold and wet so far. The ride is also far more comfortable than on the 18 inch summers, perhaps not surprisingly. More strangely, I also find the turn in and general cornering better on the 16 inch wheels.

Went for the grey wheels as I had just bought silver for my wife and didn't want to get confused...

winterwheelssmall.jpg

Edited by AndrewB

No picture to show you of my L&K estate on the 17" Pegasus and Sport suspension, but I have been looking into getting winter boots, not least because last year, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's demonstrated that snow is their weakness, and there isn't room for snow chains on those 225s.

Can anyone else confirm that 15" rims will fit my car? There seems to be room around the brakes, and I'd rather not spend more than I have to on winter wheels and tyres while the January temperature is falling to overnight lows of 10 degrees. Also, the greater the tyre profile, the better the performance on snow, I gather.

Thanks,

Andy

Couldn't live with my VRS replacement Yeti after 3 months so bought a new VRS Estate. Had pleasant surprise today when I thought I would try my Insurance Company today with the idea of using the winter tyres & wheels I bought for the Yeti on the VRS before I put them on Ebay. These are 215/60/16 on VW Passat Catalunya Alloys.

Explained that they were a slightly different profile to the 205/55/16 recommended & after they refered to the underwriters they actually came back & said they were happy to accept them with no additional loading.

I now have take back everything I have said about them in the past.

Edited by A6TDH

No picture to show you of my L&K estate on the 17" Pegasus and Sport suspension, but I have been looking into getting winter boots, not least because last year, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's demonstrated that snow is their weakness, and there isn't room for snow chains on those 225s.

Can anyone else confirm that 15" rims will fit my car? There seems to be room around the brakes, and I'd rather not spend more than I have to on winter wheels and tyres while the January temperature is falling to overnight lows of 10 degrees. Also, the greater the tyre profile, the better the performance on snow, I gather.

Thanks,

Andy

Daft question, but do you have a full size steel spare? It may be a 15", in which case...

I understand that the profile of winter tyres should ideally be narrow so as not to 'drift' on the top of the snow, but instead be forced down through the snow. Insurance companies however prefer the same size as original tyres to be fitted.

I said earlier in the thread that I'd upload the photos I took on my camera instead of my iPhone so here they are (eventually!)

winter2.jpg

winter1.jpg

winter3.jpg

winter4.jpg

As I said before, wheels are the familiar Audi A3 design but these ones are actually specific winter ones so are only 6in wide.

6Jx17 ET48 with Dunlop winter Sport M3s fited in 205/50/17.

Daft question, but do you have a full size steel spare? It may be a 15", in which case...

I understand that the profile of winter tyres should ideally be narrow so as not to 'drift' on the top of the snow, but instead be forced down through the snow. Insurance companies however prefer the same size as original tyres to be fitted.

It is a virgin condition 16" spare, 205/ I think, in the boot. I have wondered whether the wheel well handles up to a 225, but have not bothered to experiment. If it does, then I'm unimpressed that they threw an un-matching wheel and tyre in the boot. It would have been far more useful if it had been the same tyre size as fitted at the corners. Still, at least it is better than a space saver with which to limp across Europe with...

A good point there, about what the insurers are happy with, but the original tyres on my L&K would prevent me putting chains on, so a narrower tyre has to be appropriate for that: I will check in the handbook.

Thanks,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Had a quick wash, so snapped some iphone pics. Running OEM 17" Zenith with Continental 225/45 for Winter. (Have 18" Zenith for summer)

Zenith_14.jpg

Zenith_12.jpg

Edited by rs_t

My Octavia Scout CR on recent trip to sweden, didn't miss a beat in 4500 miles covered during the holiday, brilliant in the snow and ice. 16" 205/55 R16's steels with Vredestein Snowtrak 2...

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

Edited by glossopwhite

2011-12-08121116.jpg

Good Year Ultra Grip 8's

2011-12-08143555.jpg

2011-12-08150840.jpg

Havent had any proper snow yet so not being able to test them but in the cold weather the grip is brill and wet road grip is second to non

The car doesnt look mint with the steelies on, infact it looks like a Taxi even more so but its nice to know my car will get me home whatever the weather!

17" Zenith is a great idea for a winter wheel :thumbup:

Looks great!

Thanks. I like them to. I think Zenith's are one of the best OEM wheels out there. However, coming from an Audi A4 Quattro on 205/55-16 to a fwd RS on 225/45-17 is, in lack of a better word, interesting. We get a lot of snow here in Norway, and on some days there are really bad conditions on the roads. On those days I miss the Quattro, but I don’t miss the Mpg. A buddy is running 205/55-16 Conti’s on his RS , and it’s definitely some difference in traction. The best car for me would probably be a; “RS Scout 4x4 2.0TFSi DSG”. :yes:

2011-12-08121116.jpg

Good Year Ultra Grip 8's

2011-12-08143555.jpg

2011-12-08150840.jpg

Havent had any proper snow yet so not being able to test them but in the cold weather the grip is brill and wet road grip is second to non

The car doesnt look mint with the steelies on, infact it looks like a Taxi even more so but its nice to know my car will get me home whatever the weather!

I've got the ultragrip 8s on mine at the moment and I think they're excellent.