Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

When you take the door card and look at the material they use, you will wonder how it didn't leak from day one. It feels like a sponge

Will be sorting a fellow members doors on Friday so hope the weather is nice as I will be doing it at work

• 7 months later...

Update on the problems with my SE.

After finding standing water in the footwell I took the doorcard off today - to find the car had been repaired in the past!

screwedcarrier.jpg?t=1289838443

If you look at the photo you'll see someone's added extra screws to press the door carrier in better (compare with THIS picture) - but it was now leaking again.

I used Plumbers Gold from Toolstation: High-tech sealant and adhesive that offers outstanding adhesion to all sanitary, bathroom, wetroom, kitchen and plumbing materials. Can be applied to wet surfaces, will even work underwater, and contains Microban anti-bacterial solution, preventing black mould and discolouration for 10 years.

carrierresealed.jpg

Shouldn't this thread be a sticky one?

Edited by DRJ

Make this a sticky!

I just did mine tonight. I used Unibond 3 in 1 from Homebase, as recommended by Moggytech. The carpets weren't wet as far as I could tell, but there was water on the rubber door seals which gave it away.

Before applying I just went around the carrier edge and cleaned it up a bit, since it said it could be applied on damp surfaces. I pressed around the carrier edge first. This actually forced some water out of the OE foam seal!

I've never used any kind of sealant before. I just applied a liberal amount all around, so it pretty much filled the gap. I only went up to about half of the carrier on either side. I then smoothed it out with my thumb and put the door cards back on. Pretty much like DRJ's second picture really :-) The hardest bit was getting the sealant out using the gun! I'm a wimp. It seemed like a lot of effort and hurt my hands a lot!

Hopefully it's done the job!

Edited by mark.r.cullen

I did mine the other day, it has helped but it isn't bone dry, its an absolute joke if you ask me!

Mines still misting up. I think I need a long drive with the air con on, with fans pointed to the floor. All should be solved then! I really don't want ice on the inside of my windscreen again!

Mines still misting up. I think I need a long drive with the air con on, with fans pointed to the floor. All should be solved then! I really don't want ice on the inside of my windscreen again!

You get used to it - keep the ice scraper in the car to get it off the screen, and a cloth in the door pocket to clear away the snow that results!

Edited by DRJ

You get used to it - keep the ice scraper in the car to get it off the screen, and a cloth in the door pocket to clear away the snow that results!

I don't want to get used to it! I want to be condensation free! I had it last year and it was a PITA then! I've sealed all four doors, so if a long drive with air con doesn't solve it then I'm going to have to look for other problems which could be causing it. It's not the rear washer pipes, as that still works!

CORRECTED POSTING

I drove to a weekend away with the heater on full and downwards to try and dry out the carpets after re-sealing the offside rear door last week. At the end of 100 miles the carpets still felt slightly damp.

This morning after rain much of the weekend, when I went to leave and drive back here I not only found white mould on the carpet but it was wet again - and there was pooling water in the usual place at the bottom of the door seal. However when I took the door car off not only did there appear to be no leakage through my sealant or anywhere else on the door, but the bottom of the door card was also totally dry! And the driver's door seal remains resolutely dry too so I don't think it's coming from there, and the floor appears to be wetter towards the rear though it's clearly tracking under the cross beam from rear to front to make that slightly damp too.

Hence I can only conclude that the water is collecting at the bottom of the door seal owing to other reasons, and I can only think it's tracking down around the edge of the door. The door seal appears to be in fine condition so the only thought I presently have is that it's either not perfectly fitting all the way round or the door isn't compressing the seal sufficiently when it's closed - but it seems correctly aligned to adjacent panels externally.

Help please - where do I go from here?

BTW I've now pulled up the car from the back and stuck a hairdryer underneath as being the only potential way of drying out the felt without stripping the car - having failed to get most of the edge trims off - any pointers on the latter?

UPDATE

I've now poured a jug of water onto the open door onto the window seal - and looked below.

It turns out is IS coming through the door after all - and in an unexpected point - in the context of the usual construction of the car at this point. I previously posted that the car had been repaired previously and that additional fastenings had been added to compress the carrier onto the door.

carrierresealed.jpg?t=1290347367

It turns out that the leak is coming through one of the screw heads (the lowest one on the left) NOT through the sealant - and must have been trickling out so readily as to not wet the door card. So the solution is to seal that screwhead up - haven't decided whether to just take the screw out and seal up the hole or to put sealant on and screw the screw back in.

Further update - I've decided to take all the screws out, fill the holes with copious sealant, and refix the screws. It dawned on me if I just did one it might come out of another...

Edited by DRJ

It's not the rear washer pipes, as that still works!

That's what I thought until I found mine was leaking tonnes of screenwash into the footwell. Takes two minutes to check, remove the trim, locate the washer pipe, locate the join on the washer pipe, push the pieces together. If it works and there is a short delay after pushing the lever away from you (after pushing it not long ago) then it is probably screenwash leaking as it is taking time to fill up the pipe again after leaking out (into your footwell).

Does anyone know the part number for the plastic clips that hold the door panel on as i broke nearly all mine trying to get them off... :(

5J0867276 - mine cost 29.5p each - but you don't need it - my garage immediately said "Fabia door clips" when I handed him one - I suspect they sell lots!

That's what I thought until I found mine was leaking tonnes of screenwash into the footwell. Takes two minutes to check, remove the trim, locate the washer pipe, locate the join on the washer pipe, push the pieces together. If it works and there is a short delay after pushing the lever away from you (after pushing it not long ago) then it is probably screenwash leaking as it is taking time to fill up the pipe again after leaking out (into your footwell).

Checked it, it's not that, one of my doors is leaking again, rear drivers side. Checked the pollen filter as well, and that was dry as a bone, should hope so as it was serviced last month! My footwell on passenger side is dry as a bone. I've put some of the curtains on my rear door to prevent the condensation until i can get it sealed up properly!

I may have a problem similar to DRJ's. It's certainly something that needs looking at again though. Ah well, least I know the cause of my problem!

Hi,

I have just started trying to take the door trim off and am having an absolute nightmare getting the effing clips out of the door. I have so far managed to scratch the trim and door to buggery and have come up to the computer to cool off before attempting again. It seems to me that what you have to do with all this trim removal nonsense is just lever as hard as you can until you hear a snap, swear, then collect all the bits you have broken and go inside and vent on briskoda.net.

Any advice on ideal tools for the job and any other bits of info would be greatly appreciated.

I found trim clip removal tools didn't work well as it's difficult to get them positioned correctly, and when you do get them positioned correctly it can be hard to get enough leverage on the clip to pull it out, as the other ones sort of pull it back in. My preferred method is to pull and keep on pulling at one corner until I can just about fit my fingers under, then pull harder to undo/break the clips (making sure all appropriate screws etc have been removed first). Can't go wrong with this method IMO, just have some spare trim clips ready.

Edited by anewman

I found trim clip removal tools didn't work well as it's difficult to get them positioned correctly, and when you do get them positioned correctly it can be hard to get enough leverage on the clip to pull it out, as the other ones sort of pull it back in. My preferred method is to pull and keep on pulling at one corner until I can just about fit my fingers under, then pull harder to undo/break the clips (making sure all appropriate screws etc have been removed first). Can't go wrong with this method IMO, just have some spare trim clips ready.

Nice one, cheers for the quick reply. I'll give the old brute force a go.

I have just started trying to take the door trim off and am having an absolute nightmare getting the effing clips out of the door. I have so far managed to scratch the trim and door to buggery and have come up to the computer to cool off before attempting again. It seems to me that what you have to do with all this trim removal nonsense is just lever as hard as you can until you hear a snap, swear, then collect all the bits you have broken and go inside and vent on briskoda.net.

Any advice on ideal tools for the job and any other bits of info would be greatly appreciated.

I used a plastic fish slice - a bit bendy but once you've got one or two out - or rather broken them - the others are easier.

Remember it won't be as easy when they're cold - but two weeks ago I only broke 4 out of 7 - and one week ago when I had to do it again (to seal the screws!) it came off without any of them breaking.

Clips cost 25p+vat - they'll know what you want though the part number's 5J0867276 if you really want it.

I used a plastic fish slice - a bit bendy but once you've got one or two out - or rather broken them - the others are easier.

Remember it won't be as easy when they're cold - but two weeks ago I only broke 4 out of 7 - and one week ago when I had to do it again (to seal the screws!) it came off without any of them breaking.

Clips cost 25p+vat - they'll know what you want though the part number's 5J0867276 if you really want it.

Cheers, i'll try that aswell.

Done. With a bit of fish slice action and some brute force i managed to get the panel off with only two lug fatalities. I made a bit of a hash of the sealing ( the finger smearing mucked it up) but hopefully i will be moisture free from now on. I dont think putting the trim back on is worth it until i know for sure though.

Thanks for your help.

Ferg

I dont think putting the trim back on is worth it until i know for sure though.

I tested mine by pouring jugs of water onto the window of the door when open and watching - it's amazing how much water goes into the door when looking at the vast quantity coming out of the drain holes.

I have an '06 Fabia Classic, noticed a couple of months ago the rear window steaming up on the inside, and since it's been cold the windscreen has been freezing on the inside :( Done some investigating, and thanks to this thread, hey ho! Wet rear passenger carpets. My fabric mats were actually frozen to the carpet as it was so cold! My quick fix for the moment is a de-humidifying pot, which has stopped the condensation/ice problems for the moment. Taken my rear mats out to dry off :( Going to try my charms on the local Skoda Garage first, if not, will have to be a blonde DIY job :'( So glad this thread is here!

I have an '06 Fabia Classic, noticed a couple of months ago the rear window steaming up on the inside, and since it's been cold the windscreen has been freezing on the inside :( Done some investigating, and thanks to this thread, hey ho! Wet rear passenger carpets. My fabric mats were actually frozen to the carpet as it was so cold! My quick fix for the moment is a de-humidifying pot, which has stopped the condensation/ice problems for the moment. Taken my rear mats out to dry off :( Going to try my charms on the local Skoda Garage first, if not, will have to be a blonde DIY job :'( So glad this thread is here!

It should be ok, Bezzy had an issue even after we fixed it but I think that was because it rained just after we finished sorting the doors. I did mine in the dry and they are still working perfectly, open the door and the water pours out :thumbup: