Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

Well.. This is my second hand skoda fabia.. My first one kindly stolen from my house- i always wondered why my rear window steamed up when all cars near where fine... so when buying my new car i asked the dealer did he know of any fault- his reply was 'you must be putting wet stuff in your boot'.. (i dont use my boot) so along i went and purchased my 2nd car from him.. A year later and my car stinks of mould and damp.. it is turning me! back passenger side footwell is soaking.. So i bring it back to them, told them i looked it up online and i know of fault.. they 'fix' it.. i pay... it rains... car still leaks.. I hate 'mechanics'.. its going back on wednesday to get fixed AGAIN..

GRRRRRRRrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Skoda have let me down (there have been other things, but this one stinks)

At first, I didn't think too much of the condensation which recently started appearing on the back window of my Fabia Saloon. However, subsequently, the instrument binnacle started misting-up. So, this morning, after reading this thread, I checked the condition of the rear carpets and yes, they're soaking wet.

The cars over three years old, so out of the mechnical warranty, but I presume that the 10 -year bodywork anti-perforation warranty applies to this.

Anyway an E-Mail report has gone -off today to Skoda Customer Services.

Regards,

Nick,

14/01/08

At first, I didn't think too much of the condensation which recently started appearing on the back window of my Fabia Saloon. However, subsequently, the instrument binnacle started misting-up. So, this morning, after reading this thread, I checked the condition of the rear carpets and yes, they're soaking wet.

The cars over three years old, so out of the mechnical warranty, but I presume that the 10 -year bodywork anti-perforation warranty applies to this.

Regards,

Nick,

14/01/08

sadly it doesnt come under anti-perforation warranty, as its the bodywork thats perforated (if thats a word!) its due to the carriers. ive just had a peek at the ones ive sent to get done, and they have taken all the door cards off, front and rear. so hopefully i'll have some dry carpeted fabia's to sell soon :D

Hey guys,

I have a 55 plate Fabia vrs which suffered from a leaking OSR door seal around 6 months ago, resulting in the door surround filling with water and running down into the carpet. Took it to the dealer (DM Keith - Leeds) who noted it as a common fault and replaced all door seals with out a fuss. Job done....

...however in the last 6-8 weeks all the windows have been filling with condensation whenever the is a hint of rain in the air. The windscreen, front and boot windows all clear with a heavy dose of hot air but the condensation on the rear windows will not budge.

I've had a quick look around and can't find any evidence to suggest the doors are leaking, but the problem is getting so bad that mould is starting to form around the bottom of the rear windows, which doesn't seem like a good sign to me!

Any ideas? Or is it yet another trip to the dealer? :(

Regards,

Nick,

14/01/08

Dealer just phoned me at home (I'm on my sick bed with the tummy bug) on another issue - ironically, they wanted to know my response to their invitation, of three weeks ago, to take out an extended mechanical warranty. So, whilst he was on the phone I took the opportunity to quiz him. The responses were as follows:-

No, an extended warranty of this type would not cover water ingress of this type.

No, the anti-perforation warranty does not cover it.

Being sickly poor, brain was not fully engaged and I omitted to ask the vital question, why if the car was purchased in 2003, were they offering an extended warranty. Surely, as the 3 year mechanical warranty expired in 2003, there would be an overriding requirement for the extended warranty to start immediately after the cessation of the manufacturer's warranty in order to maintain continuity of cover and to be legally valid.

I knew that there was a possibility, on the basis of the dealers previous verbal assurance, that the mechnical warranty had extended for an additional one year, as a consequence of ARB replacement in 2005, but my understanding was that this was limited solely to further faults occuring on the ARB (Oh, the joys of Fabia ownership).

Being cynical, I expect their trying to drum up a bit of extra cash flow. The last time I went into the stealers it was a bit like a ghost town. Like everybody else, they are probably suffering a downturn in business.

Any way, that's a side issue. Getting back to the main point, as far as I can see, the manufacturer's mechanical warranty is not applicable to this problem and I can't understand how people are getting this fault repaired under the mechnaical warranty, even if the problem occurs within the three years from new. Is this a bit of Skoda Customer Services disinformation ?:thumbdwn:

I would suggest, that the costs of the repair are borne either by Skoda GB, in which case the costs of repair are set against the body work warranty or its done on an Ex gratia basis, or by the dealer- as I suspect was the case with my ARB. In the latter case, you'll only get the dealer's warranty on the work - I think this is usually six months.

Re the conversation I had with the dealer's rep, I finished up by saying that the likelihood of corrosion of the steel components of the inside of the door occuring as a consequence of the water ingress and water retention in the door was extremely likely with this fault. Most of the surfaces inside the door are either unpainted, lightly etched, or given the lightest skim finish of primer or paint. Exhale on them and they'll rust - particularly the inside surface of the outer door skins.

As an ex Alfa Sud owner and I'm fully acquainted with the effects of corrosion of steel and the rate it progresses in moist air !

So, if the body work warranty does not provide the customer with protection for design or manufacturing problems, what does it do - its worthless !

I take more than a little umbridge with this position, as when I purchased the car in 2003, the Skoda marketeers, you may recall, were pushing the body work warranty to bump-up sales.

Question: Has anyone experienced water penetration before 2003 ?

Further, what's all this cr*p about the recommended repair ? Seal the water in - I've never heard such a load of B*ll*cks ! How can that be an effective and valid repair. If water is still in contact with the metal it will rust. If you consent to this repair you are an accessory to Skoda GB in invalidating you'r anti-perforation warranty, such as it is !

Somebody ought to have SKODA GB for misrepresentation - actionable at law in contract and criminal law and tort (Civil wrong).

But you've gotta luv the attitude here. As it is with all other issues Fabia which I've experienced:-

ARB,

Piston rings, excessive oil loss,

and now water penetration

Basically, this is, don't do anything pro-active to deal with well known and documented problems. Wait till the customer reports them and then have a dealer/manufacturer shout-up as to whose bearing the cost - a really customer satisfaction enhancing experience.

At least two of the above problems are relatively as cheap as chips to fix - so why not do it on a recall basis ? Answer: Their accountants hope they can con customers out of exercising their legitimate rights and boost profits.

I have to say, that at least VAG/Skoda are consistent.

My familial experience with faults with VAG products tends to point in the same direction with regard to their occurence and handling/resolution by VAG.

My dad bought a brand new transporter (Westphalia Camper conversion) in 1973. Within months, the area inside the rear air intakes started rusting from the inside out, as did parts of the roof gutter. Obviously, a Friday night vehicle, which had been left in the open in between different paint coats. Ultimately, he had to write to Wolfsburg to get it fixed.

I bought a brand new Golf Mk 1 in 1981. Within two years of use, the well known Clutch mounting plate problem occured whilst driving, twice - the second time the approved VAG repair kit failed. Wolfsburg did not want to know.

The cylinder head gasket at the number one cylinder position weeped oil continuously and the brakes were sh*te. During my visits to garages over the years, I've noticed that they never bothered to fix the cylinder head problem on the later marks (At least up to Mk 3). A bl**dy core plug blew out in rush-hour traffic on the overhead section of the Westway.

What really "Grips my ****" is these organisations employ industrial designers and production engineers who are paid thousands of pounds salary to get the most simple engineering problems right first time. And do they ? Do they f*ck. Its not as if the Fabia design, based on the old 4 cylinder Polo floor pan as it is, is innovative in any subtantial way.

Cars have been mass produced for the last 90 years, how long do they need to ensure that major faults like the above are a thing of the past ?

It is so counter-productive. VAG promote themselves as quality car manufacturers but are happy to live with this sort of Sh*te.

Still awaiting a written response from Skoda Customer Services.

Nick,

16/01/08

On a further point

It is interesting to note the widely varying approaches to Customer Service.

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of those brabantia stainless steel wastebins with the touch-to-operate lids. They were quite pricey, at about £50. I recall that they were sold with an 10 year warranty

Due to a admitted design problem the plastic lid failed within 18 months. Called their customer service agent. No problem sir. Within three days a brand new, re-engineered bin top delivered in the post.

I hesitate to draw a comparison between Skoda/VAG and Brabantia in case people would arrive at the conclusion that VAG Customer Service was worse than dustbin manufacturers.

Perhaps, it is time that they, emulated their cultural cousins and did the things that "Only a bloody Dutchman" can do.

Nick,

16/01/08

I hesitate to draw a comparison between Skoda/VAG and Brabantia in case people would arrive at the conclusion that VAG Customer Service was worse than dustbin manufacturers.

Wow thats a long post :eek:

I totally agree with everything you have said. Especially this bit ^^^ LMAO

Got my leaky Fabia back yesterday.

Guess what???

Are your carpets still wet? when mine was fixed on monday they failed to dry any of it out so i've spent all this week with the heaters on full blast towards my feet to try dry things out.

Mike.

they felt dry, but one night of rain later, leaking just as bad if not worse. Back again on Tuesday.

If the worst comes to it, I'll do it myself.

ANy recommendations for trim removal tool and any particular make of sealant?

Where's the water coming in ? I suspect the Window seals ?

I'm of the opionion that the premise of the "Official Repair" is all wrong - I think shrunken/stiffened PVC window seals are the problem, allowing too much water in. I had no problem over 16 years with the rubber seals on my MK 1 Golf

The "Official repair" is promoted because it appears to relieve the symptoms i.e. no more wet door card and carpets, is dead easy for the delaer to do and is cheaper than replacing the window seals !

Effectively all you are doing is sealing excess water in the door - which of course will rust later - I'm waiting on the reports to come in re seized window winders following "Official" leak repairs.

I bet some tape over the gap between the window seal and the glass will stop it !

If Skoda GB are coming round to the position that they will do the repair gratis, then why shouldn't they do it correctly instead of offering a cosemetic fix ?

Nick,

19/01/08

I started to re-seal mine myself today, but I never taped up the window first and there seemed to be some kind of sponge at the panel seam that was still soaking wet.

I'm just after taping up the windows, I'm gonna let it sit and hopefully the sponge at the seam will dry out after a few days.

I got a trim removal tool for 10!! from Halfords (think you can get ones just as good for a couple of quid of ebay) and some roof/gutter sealant and a "gun" for it for 6.50 from B&Q. I couldn't find any in tubs.

And in my experience, if you're taking off the trim panel, it's probably best to slightly pry the plastic clips all off a little bit before the final wedge. Anyone know where you can get replacement clips from?

Some of mine broke! :rolleyes:

I started to re-seal mine myself today, but I never taped up the window first and there seemed to be some kind of sponge at the panel seam that was still soaking wet.

I'm just after taping up the windows, I'm gonna let it sit and hopefully the sponge at the seam will dry out after a few days.

I got a trim removal tool for 10!! from Halfords (think you can get ones just as good for a couple of quid of ebay) and some roof/gutter sealant and a "gun" for it for 6.50 from B&Q. I couldn't find any in tubs.

And in my experience, if you're taking off the trim panel, it's probably best to slightly pry the plastic clips all off a little bit before the final wedge. Anyone know where you can get replacement clips from?

Some of mine broke! :rolleyes:

Skoda 21p each!

Make sure you put a hell of a lot of silicone on them though, i went crazy and it worked! i smoothed it over with a piece of cardboard. You need to get it every nook and cranny:thumbup:

I wouldnt class it as a seal on the outside of the windows, mine stands off from the glass by about 1mm. But i'm sure on the front doors they do act as a seal on the glass though and i've never had any problems with them.

Whats the best stuff to use to seal the carriers up with? bathroom sealant? no more nails?

I think sealing up any gap or hole is probably the only way to cure this and not just the carrier seal.

I also get alot condensation on the rear window that seems to have got past the boot seal. From just above the lights downwards its always wet.

From what i understand the official repair prevents the water, when running down the inside of the door to seep through the carrier seal, trim clips etc which should mean the water does actually reach the drain hole at the bottom of the door.

Like every one here mine leek, as mine is an outside car I will get it fix in the summer (do not want to be cold doing this type of work).

I have found a simple fix, get a small plastic (or wood) tupe and put it between door and seal this then is a drain and stops water going down into the carpet. We have had a lot of rain over the last few weeks and this has worked very well.

As we do not have a skoda dealer on the isle of man some time a easy fix is a good fix.

I wonder if polyeurathane foam in a can , the sort plumbers use to fill gaps between masonary and pipes, can be applied to the area between the the carrier and the outer door and fashioned to permanently displace the water that collects there and direct any fall toward the drain holes ?

Alternatively, how feasible is it to fit a drip tray (Could be easily fashioned from modellers plasticard) to catch and direct the water ?

Nick,

20/01/08

• Like 1

i too found a very slight leak on both rear doors, it was just a bit damp on the bottom of the doorcards but luckily i think ive found it just in time before it gets anyworse.

i removed both doorcards, removed the bolts that hold the plate onto the door with the sealing gasket, got the airline and dried it all, got some silicone sealant and did the backside of the panel first then bolted it to the door, as i bolted it i could see the silicone compressing between the metal and the gasket which is good.

once bolted i ran silicone all the way around the seal on the front side and left it to dry before refitting the door cards, i came to the car this morning to find hardly any condensation on my windows and my door cards are completly dry and thankfully no other damage to the carpet or soundproofing has occured :)