Oil change - 2 Litre Diesel engine

BillN_33

Would like to do a "6 month" oil change - ("in between services") - anyone done it - presumably it is straightforward - (new washer!)

anyone know the torque setting on the drain plug

I won't change the filter

I bought an electric Mannesmann oil scavenge suction pump off ebay,and sucked out the old oil through the dipstick tube.

refilled with new VW507 spec oil,and I'm now happy to let the Yeti go to 18600miles for its first service.:yes:

• Like 1

I agree it isn't "necessary". Oil to 507 spec will stay in grade and cope well for a long mileage. If your car is leased or contract hired and will be changed after 3 years without re-sale being an issue, fine.

If you may keep it longer or be selling on a basis where condition will be a determining factor then there is a point. New oil has the additional benefit that you get rid of any wear residues or pollutants so I had mine done and a filter too.

I own the car and may want to keep it for longer.

If you do it yourself or are lucky enough to have a competent mate who will do it for beer money then it is inexpensive in the context of running the car and the benefit does not have to be very great to be worthwhile.

I bought an electric Mannesmann oil scavenge suction pump off ebay,and sucked out the old oil through the dipstick tube.

refilled with new VW507 spec oil,and I'm now happy to let the Yeti go to 18600miles for its first service.:yes:

Thanks that looks a good way to go for £30 - cleaner and easier

will get one and give it a go

I'll be keeping my Yeti for some time - plus I have always done 6 month oil changes on the cars that I have had

Phew! that was a close one....Good job I mentioned Yeti.:whew:

Using 'Long Life' oil it really isn't necessary. VW do their homework... :)

Long life oil may not be necessary, but the 507 spec is. It mainly relates to dispersion additives and an extremely low ash content to protect the DPF from plugging up with non-combustibles. Using oil out of spec may well give you DPF troubles fairly soon.

Safe thing is to stick with the 507 oil, and changing it more often than required does help the engine live longer.

Long life oil may not be necessary, but the 507 spec is. It mainly relates to dispersion additives and an extremely low ash content to protect the DPF from plugging up with non-combustibles. Using oil out of spec may well give you DPF troubles fairly soon.

Safe thing is to stick with the 507 oil, and changing it more often than required does help the engine live longer.

The 507 specification is for longlife oil; you can't separate them! This specification is specifically for extended oil drain intervals in diesel engines with a DPF. Maximum 2 years or 50,000 km.

Would like to do a "6 month" oil change - ("in between services") - anyone done it - presumably it is straightforward - (new washer!)

anyone know the torque setting on the drain plug

I won't change the filter

Hi, I had service on my 170 Yeti recently and they replaced the sump plug as well. It was only £1.36 +VAT so it might be worth doing to avoid trouble in the future. I speak from experience having had to have the sump heli-coiled ? on a previous car when the mechanic cross-threaded the sump plug while refitting it.

Stewart

As a retired engine fitter (gas turbines, 14 cylinder radial, V12 and straight 4 inverted :giggle: ) I'm a little concerned with the mention of carrying out an oil change without doing the filter as well; personal view is there's little point in doing one without the other. A filter inspection will also give an indication of any premature failure.

This applies to all Skoda cars from 1905 to present were a oil filter is fitted; including Yeti :yes:

TP

• Like 1

Freshacre - you may be on your way out but you are going with some oommpphhhh.

The general point is interesting though. If tyres have been separated out as "everyone may have an interest, not just Yeti owners" then where does it end. Should this go in an oil thread as all Skodas use oil? Should a question about brake pads go in a brakes section?

Hopefully tomorrow will get back to normal and sanity will resume.

The 507 specification is for longlife oil; you can't separate them! This specification is specifically for extended oil drain intervals in diesel engines with a DPF. Maximum 2 years or 50,000 km.

Most dealer now use 507 oil regardless of service regime. 507 oil MUST be used in DPF equipped vehicles regardless of service regime, otherwise your DPF will have a short life span due to clogging up with material that cannot be burnt off.

I never did any between oil changes on my previous Octavia diesel and it did 100K miles with me on just 5 oil changes and was still running perfectly when I sold it to buy the Superb.

The Superb has now covered 41K miles and has so far had just 2 oil changes, it still runs perfectly and at the recent MOT test the car was well under the required pass rate for the smoke test.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've just ordered this of ebay. Would you be kind enough to share your experiences, good or bad, please? Any hints/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Kam

It's a while since I used it,but what I do remember is that engine oil retains its heat a long time.

You'll be handling the tubes, and the container you're pumping it into,so make sure the oil is no more than comfortable hand temperature. :whew:

Cheers. But apart from that, it is as simple as put the tube in and suck? Iv'e bought the one with croc clips that clip onto the battery. Need to find and old container to put it in. Do you think it would be better to have the car on a slight slope (either way), or just level?

Did you manage to get most of it out (I'm expecting about 4 litres, maybe just a bit less as my mk1 takes about 4 ltr apparently)

Thanks again

Cheers. Nervous, but should be fine. Really didnt fancy getting underneath!

Just realised that just did 18,000 miles on non-507 spec oil. Just std 5w30. Hence the urgency.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi, I had service on my 170 Yeti recently and they replaced the sump plug as well. It was only £1.36 +VAT so it might be worth doing to avoid trouble in the future. I speak from experience having had to have the sump heli-coiled ? on a previous car when the mechanic cross-threaded the sump plug while refitting it. Stewart.

This may be non-Yeti, but what the heck! Soon after I'd got my first BMW, I discovered they all have hollow sump plug bolts, with a deliberate weak point just below the head. So when you over-torque them, instead of ripping out the threads from the alloy sump, you just neck off the plug/bolt. They cost all of about £1.50 to replace. Local dealer parts man reckoned they get through about 3 per week in their workshops! Needless to say, I bought two - to be ready..... :think:

Hi,

I've just ordered this of ebay. Would you be kind enough to share your experiences, good or bad, please? Any hints/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Kam

I had a one and to be honest it's not very good. The suction pipe is to flimsy to move around the sump so it's unable to suck all the oil out. It's also noisy and slow.

Went back to another Pella 6000 which is in a different league.