yeti vrs in 2012?

john96

I am very interested in the Yeti, and am keen to learn :)

apart from the boot space I find it is the ideal vehicle. So much more fun to drive than any of my Octys. Sure on the motorway I miss the power (2.0 to 1.2 was always gonna leave a gap) but on twisty country roads it is much more sure footed. I'd go so far as to say it's the best drive since I stupidly sold my Estelle for a favorit :giggle:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, my 1.8 TSI is as entertaining as my Mk1 Ocy vRS was, more so round the bends. I can only imagine what a 2 litre 200 hp with dsg and probably Greenline slightly lowered suspension Yeti would be like.

I agree, my 1.8 TSI is as entertaining as my Mk1 Ocy vRS was, more so round the bends. I can only imagine what a 2 litre 200 hp with dsg and probably Greenline slightly lowered suspension Yeti would be like.

I really will have to have a drive in one then

If, with a much higher centre of gravity, handles better than an Octy estate on coilovers, I really will eat my hat :)

I really will have to have a drive in one then

If, with a much higher centre of gravity, handles better than an Octy estate on coilovers, I really will eat my hat :)

Can't speak for coilovers but compared with stock Octavias this is better. This is my current list of cars owned and the yeti handles the best of the lot with the exception of the estelle (that was fun in a different way)

Estelle 120 LS

1989 Favorit Forum

all above pre VW Group buying Skoda

1993 Favorit LX

1996 Felicia 1.6

1998 Octavia 1.9 LX

2000 Octavia 1.9 Elegance

2003 Octavia Estate L&K (got crushed by a falling tree as didn't swerve fast enough)

2005 Octavia II L&K estate 1.9

2008 Octavia II L&K estate 2.0 PD

2011 Yeti 1.2 TSi Elegance

Two things were a revelation:-

1) the performance of a 1.2 Tsi engine - perkier tham my wife's 10 year old Audi A3 1.9 tdi

2) the handling on the twisty roads, it just feels really sure footed. The 4x4 option would just be overkill in my case, I never go off road, at most I have to venture along forest or farm tracks and the added ground clearance is the main thing. Like you I was sceptical having experienced things like LR Discoveries with their body roll. Skoda really seem to have nailed it handling wise.

There is some serious blinkering going on here :giggle:

As I've said, I've not driven a Yeti, but I have driven plenty of other soft roaders (including a VW Tiguan, and Audi Q5 which share a platform with the Yeti) and one thing they all have in common is a rolly-polly ride! Even making allowances for fancy multi-link rear suspension, they don't handle! Basic physics dictates that a high centre of gravity is the opposite of what good handling needs!

Controversial as if may be, it's the truth: the Mk1 Fabia vRS and Mk1 Octavia vRS don't handle that well. There. I said it. They can be made to, but out of the box they're more comfy and safe than on rails.

Now, this isn't a scathing attack on the Yeti, this is just observation. Those with eyesight will surely notice that I own a Mk1 Octavia vRS (this is actually my second) so don't think that I am just thinking that my car is better than others like you see on here all the time (normally the Mk1 Fabia vRS lot and dubious "giant slaying" stories...), it's not - see my comment above. I am however willing to see the merits and flaws in a car and am reasoned enough to know that there is no such thing as a perfect all rounder car; compromises have to be made. The Yeti has it's merits, but "go kart handling" just isn't one of them. And neither is load lugging from what I've read on here :rofl:

So guys just lighten up and accept your cars for what they are! If you want a car that handles, then I suggest you track down a good MX-5, or Honda S2000. Or a VW Corrado if you're scared of RWD!

S 2000 Mx5 and Corrado-fine handling vehicles! I have fond memories of the Corrado in particular an astonishing device. Not been in the Audi biut spent some hours as front seat passenger in a Tiguan in very hilly northern Italy and it does roll more than the Yeti.

The Yeti does better when compared with other genuine 5 seaters with genuine luggage capacity. It has very short overhangs-almost a wheel at each corner and a rather square stance on the O/E 225/17s.

I found it a genuine surprise when I test drove one with a guy from the dealer next to me and my initial impression reinforced when driving my own.

Skoda have made a very surprising vehicle.

Search for -or someone re-post- the track footage.

here in germany the EU imports can be specced with sports seats although no skoda.de yetis can. think they cost 300 euros although i have not seen the seats fitted.

You can see pictures of these seats here:

http://briskoda.net/...ti-sport-seats/

During the recent motorshow launch of the citygo and Mission L concept the main man at Skoda CZ confirmed there wouldn't be any VRS versions other than the Fabia and octavia due to demand and model owners/buyers demographics.

VW have already showed a concept of the Up! GT and it looks yummy:

http://briskoda.net/...ost__p__2559267

I think there will be a market for a Citygo vRS. Who buys non vRS Fabias? The same demographic as the vRS? Not in a million years. So his statement of there not being the right demographic for this is rubbbish.

I'd love a Yeti vRS. If only for that lovely vRS blue. And if it can half the attitude a Tiguan R-line has then I'm there for sure.

Peculiar how we are posting in the future! DST not reached Briskoda servers yet? EDIT: just I posted this the times all corrected themselves!

There is some serious blinkering going on here :giggle:

As I've said, I've not driven a Yeti, but I have driven plenty of other soft roaders (including a VW Tiguan, and Audi Q5 which share a platform with the Yeti) and one thing they all have in common is a rolly-polly ride! Even making allowances for fancy multi-link rear suspension, they don't handle! Basic physics dictates that a high centre of gravity is the opposite of what good handling needs!

Controversial as if may be, it's the truth: the Mk1 Fabia vRS and Mk1 Octavia vRS don't handle that well. There. I said it. They can be made to, but out of the box they're more comfy and safe than on rails.

Now, this isn't a scathing attack on the Yeti, this is just observation. Those with eyesight will surely notice that I own a Mk1 Octavia vRS (this is actually my second) so don't think that I am just thinking that my car is better than others like you see on here all the time (normally the Mk1 Fabia vRS lot and dubious "giant slaying" stories...), it's not - see my comment above. I am however willing to see the merits and flaws in a car and am reasoned enough to know that there is no such thing as a perfect all rounder car; compromises have to be made. The Yeti has it's merits, but "go kart handling" just isn't one of them. And neither is load lugging from what I've read on here :rofl:

So guys just lighten up and accept your cars for what they are! If you want a car that handles, then I suggest you track down a good MX-5, or Honda S2000. Or a VW Corrado if you're scared of RWD!

As a driver of a 220bhp+ Yeti I can safely say it's more FUN than my previously owned modded mk1 4x4 turbo Octy and mk2 vrs estate that was modded to stage 2+ levels of performance on konis and eibachs with braking via a 345mm S3 setup. It may not 'handle' as well and not stay as flat in the corners but I just find the chassis inherently more fun and enjoyable.

Having said that, I also drive a remapped 210lb/ft 1.6 TDCi Fiesta on eibach suspension and a big brake setup and that's ridiculously good fun for what effectively is a town run around. Again, with this, I find its the chassis's abilities that make it so much fun to drive.

You can see pictures of these seats here:

http://briskoda.net/...ti-sport-seats/

VW have already showed a concept of the Up! GT and it looks yummy:

http://briskoda.net/...ost__p__2559267

I think there will be a market for a Citygo vRS. Who buys non vRS Fabias? The same demographic as the vRS? Not in a million years. So his statement of there not being the right demographic for this is rubbbish.

I'd love a Yeti vRS. If only for that lovely vRS blue. And if it can half the attitude a Tiguan R-line has then I'm there for sure.

Peculiar how we are posting in the future! DST not reached Briskoda servers yet? EDIT: just I posted this the times all corrected themselves!

The GT UP! doesn't mean Skoda will have a hot version of theirs. Skoda are and always have followed their own path in model ranges etc.

It'd be small for real VRS power, so will be more styling only than any guts. Think the difference between a polo GT and a lupo GT.

Back to the Yeti its too top heavy for any such sportiness so would need to be dropped with rock hard suspension making it unattractive to most buyers.

Souped up rangerovers get away due to the image of owning one coupled with the status its shows (i have money). The Yeti would really struggle to carve a market given the Fabia is a traditional hot hatch, and the octavia a hot family car which are huge markets to ignore.

Back to the Yeti its too top heavy for any such sportiness so would need to be dropped with rock hard suspension making it unattractive to most buyers.

I suggest you bag a lift in FocusZtec's Yeti before you make statements like that! Or any Yeti for that matter. Top heavy they ain't. I have been in FocusZtecs Yeti and it is one hell of a fast car and handles corners amazingly.

I don't think anybody here will claim a Yeti handles better than any normal ride height car like any of the vRS's modified or not, but the 4x4 versions because they have 4x4 will be better in the wet just like a quattro is, as I discovered recently at Castle Coombe, where all the fwd cars struggled to get their power down going round the bends. I think the only one that coped had a LSD fitted.

I don't think anybody here will claim a Yeti handles better than any normal ride height car like any of the vRS's modified or not, but the 4x4 versions because they have 4x4 will be better in the wet just like a quattro is, as I discovered recently at Castle Coombe, where all the fwd cars struggled to get their power down going round the bends. I think the only one that coped had a LSD fitted.

I think we need to compare like with like here

I'd hope a 4x4 would cope better in slippery conditions than a 2wd car, otherwise I'd be seeking a refund

Equally, I wouldn't expect to be able to take an Octavia off-road

Which engine does Focus have in his Yeti, and what's been done to it?

I'd hope a 4x4 would cope better in slippery conditions than a 2wd car, otherwise I'd be seeking a refund

True true. I'm not saying a vRS Yeti will run rings around a Ferrari or even an Octavia. Just that they eeally feel more car like at the limit than SUV like.

Focus has a fettled 1,8 petrol. With over 220bhp as he stated.

Agreed. The ability of the 4wd system in finding grip and traction is great; so much better than previously owned pre haldex 4 equipped cars. I'd love to try one with 10% stiffer anti roll bars whilst keeping the spring and damper rates standard. :yes:

If you re read focus Zeneca post above I believe you will find he has had a remap to 220+bhp and that is all.

I think the point being made is that for a soft reader theYeti handles surprisingly well, not that it is better than a octy or fabia.

I recently drove the dukes pass in Scotland. Famous for it's up and down and very challenging bends.

I was not hanging around and the Yeti coped extremely well.

Not once did it not go exactly where I was aiming it and it felt very secure the whole way.

For a car with a higher centre of gravity I, for one, find it's handling top notch

If you re read focus Zeneca post above I believe you will find he has had a remap to 220+bhp and that is all.

According to the Yeti brochure the standard 1.8TSi produces 160bhp

I am a bit green as far as tuning is concerned, but I find it surprising that a remap alone can up that to 220+

Maybe I should change my name to Doubting Thomas :'(

I reckon you should actually get your arse into a Yeti and take the trouble to find the facts rather than relying on your overheated imagination.

Either that, or settle down again to read all the posts you've moved, deleted, closed or otherwise obliterated. If you do that you will find endless postings going back two years with people consistently commenting on just HOW GOOD the handling of the Yeti is.

But then again, I don't expect you will.

-1 calm down dear....this is a forum where people express their opinions - whoever they may be.

Babs,

having s[pent a couple of weeks driving a VW Tiguan, whilst my Yeti was being repaired, I was surprised by the difference in handling. The VW seem more "wallowy" and not so "planted". I certainly found my journey to work across country not so enjoyable. The only difference between the 2 cars was my Yeti is on 17" rims, and the VW 16", and I doubt that that difference could have made that much difference, so there must be something else. The one thing I didn't compare was the kerb weight, and I suspect the VW is slightly higher.

I suggest you bag a lift in FocusZtec's Yeti before you make statements like that! Or any Yeti for that matter. Top heavy they ain't. I have been in FocusZtecs Yeti and it is one hell of a fast car and handles corners amazingly.

My point was where you are comparing handling, are you comparing a car to the Yeti or its same group suv competitors?

How many of them have a VRS version as they do in their road cars? What engines and power outputs do they have?

Without further upsetting folk, the demographics if the softroad market are folk who will never go off road, want a higher driving position and take their kids to the shops and on school runs. Despite the representation here, that us the market makers aim for and the reason Skoda/vag have focused in making it feel and drive car like as that's what potential buyers want.

The Yeti, tiguan and rav4 just don't lend themselves to a VRS version. As there isn't really any Skoda tuning houses the only option would be a map and some body kit parts.

Superb owners want a VRS, but Skoda has been open that will NEVER happen as the demographics are the older folk are most likely to buy and want comfort and toys over speed and hard suspension.

And I have driven a Yeti when sis in law was looking for a car, accept you are passionate about them as you bought them, but didn't find the one I drove (1.4) anything special. Personally I though the Fabia with the same engine drove better. I could never entertain one as need something octavia sized due to kids.

In the end sister in law went for a mini cooper. Which for her budget and choices would have been mine and SWMBOs choice as well.

The Tiguan doesn't ride as well and does tend to lean more in bends. There is also a sport version on 18's and stiffer suspension (that I haven't driven) but it's supposed to give a really hard ride, to the opposite end of the extreme).

The single best feature of the chassis is it's ability to go quickly on any given surface. I can easily pull cleanly away from a friends mk5 gti on a nearby set of country lanes and roundabouts whereas he has to back off at certain parts as his car skips wide at two points in particular. With the Yeti, I can go full out and let the damping sort out the drains and the tarmac breaks. Everything remains calm and controlled. To look at what the Yeti is, it doesn't seem possible but it really punches above it's weight in terms of traction and chassis fluidity - two areas that really seem to count where it matters. Hence I prefer it to other cars I've owned; just for the fun factor alone! And no, I'm not saying for one moment that my 340bhp Focus or 285bhp/335lb/ft Octavia VRS mk2 didn't stay flatter in the bends than my Yeti. Overall, I don't think a Yeti VRS would bring many new customers in.

Well of course. Demographics are difficult things, and by their nature cannot incorporate everyone into them. "Demographics" are just politically correct stereotypical groups.