Yeti / Freelander comparison

Sandy.Rogers

saw one in the flesh the other week, not at all nice - and that wasn't just my opinion. Everyone present said somethign to the effect of "yuck, what is THAT?" :rofl:

I'd say the Evoque is good-ugly (as opposed to the Juke, which is just ugly). Lovely inside too, and very nice to drive. Not, to me, worth the extra over a Yeti, but I can see why it is to others, and I certainly wouldn't join in the popular band-wagon of slagging off those who buy one as fashion victims - it's a genuinely good car.

It does remind me of the Judge Dredd Landrovers as Lady Elanore said:

Land_Rover_JudgeDredd_FW_Control.JPG

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

Land_Rover_JudgeDredd_FW_Control.JPG

That brings back memories.

When I was having a funny five minutes I nearly bought one of those from Dunsfold Land Rover two years ago.

Was about £6,000 at the time. :D

You'd certainly stand out!

I'd say the Evoque is good-ugly (as opposed to the Juke, which is just ugly). Lovely inside too, and very nice to drive. Not, to me, worth the extra over a Yeti, but I can see why it is to others, and I certainly wouldn't join in the popular band-wagon of slagging off those who buy one as fashion victims - it's a genuinely good car.

I saw that at Gaydon Motor museum last year.

Along with several other vehicles of note, such as:

6301504553_8b343fb6c5_b.jpg

IMG_0030 by MikesYeti, on FlickrThe Range Stormer

My sister is on her 3rd or 4th Freelander and they have grown in size and increased in quality-I like them now although they are bigger than is ideal for my needs. They started as rather rattly and sloppily made.

They now seem well made and finished with good equipment. The evoque is an interesting vehicle and fairly close to its' styling origins-there is something about the look which doesn't quite do it for me but it is striking and well resolved.

What I find decisive is the pricing. The Yeti in elegance trim has a level of creature comfort and practicality at a bearable price-to get near it in a LR/VW/Audi is beyond the amount I'm willing to tie up in a vehicle.

Is it me or is there tumble weed blowing through this Forum :S

Ordered the Yeti in April but still not due to be built until mid December! Maybe I should've ordered one of the other less sough after Skoda models as they seem to be much easier to get hold of.

Does any one have a side by side photo comparison of a Freelander (and/or Kuga) and Yeti - If so could they post them please?

The longer I wait the smaller the Yeti seems to get and the Freelanders belonging to my son and daughter appear to look bigger. I once bought a brand new Discovery and bizarrely it appears that the Yeti requires as much room in the garage as did the Discovery! :wonder:

Crikey that's a long lead time. I ordered a Yeti Elegance 8/8/11 & it was delivered 27/10/11.

I love the Evoque - especially in white. One of the freshest designs to hit the road in a very long time imo :yes:

Saw my first Evoque in real life a white one with a display of fairy lights, oncoming in slowish urban traffic. Gosh! What sort of lower league soccer player would drive one.

Exceptionally vulgar and Spinal Tap loud. Suitable only for those who cannot appreciate that if you don't have Drug dealer/championship soccer money but still wish to be reviled you should really get an Audi Q.

Saw my first Evoque in real life a white one with a display of fairy lights, oncoming in slowish urban traffic. Gosh! What sort of lower league soccer player would drive one.

Exceptionally vulgar and Spinal Tap loud. Suitable only for those who cannot appreciate that if you don't have Drug dealer/championship soccer money but still wish to be reviled you should really get an Audi Q.

I did quite like the Evoque, other than it looks odd from the rear.

But I also saw my first one recently, at the weekend.

Have to say it looks much better in the picture/brochure than real life.

Because "in the metal" you realise just how small it is! :giggle: I mean, it's a Range Rover. Odd. :thumbdown:

I drove the Evoque in a back to back comparison with my Yeti in September, on Aintree Circuit. Admittedly, I didn't take it onto normal roads, nor off-road but I thought the feel of the Evoque was very similar indeed to the Yeti, excellent turn-in to corners, exceptionally well controlled body roll etc - it really did seem extremely well put together and oh, so quiet. And that was a Diesel Auto vs my Petrol Yeti.

What I wasn't too keen on was the way that the driving position is "all enveloping", ie the centre console is very high and whilst not cramped, it didn't feel as airy as the Yeti. I cant comment on the rear seat comfort/view as I didn't get in the back, but I suspect it's probably ok, despite the small windows.

I'm still not totally sold on the exterior appearance, especially the rear view, but I reckon that in 5 years time it will seem far less startling once other manufacturers produce their own take on the style.

But, and it's a big but, it's price is not in the same sector as the Yeti and it is clearly designed to appeal to a different customer.

When the LR90 replacement goes into production,(It appears to have several Yeti design cues already) I suspect that LR will aim some versions at the potential Yeti customer even though the external dimensions will be larger.

Both the Evoque and the Disco2 are bigger vehicles than the Yeti, particularly their width. It was the Yeti's compact external dimensions that persuaded me to buy.... and just take a look at Land Rover's service costs!

Time will tell, but IMHO for now the Yeti is the best looker out there!

Edited by speedsport

• 1 month later...

Had a good look at an Evoque today. It was beautiful.

However it was slower than my Yeti.

So i priced it up with similar equipment to my car... It cost precisely double the amount I paid!

I second this point, from the perspective of most urban dwellers in Indian cities.

The Yeti is a boon for our rough roads and tight parking situations here.

Its a great combination of everyday car and adventure car rolled into one, which is exactly why I went and bought one.

4x4s have just got bigger and bigger... but that's why I like the Yeti.

It's practical for the UKs narrow roads and parking spaces. :)

I second this point, from the perspective of most urban dwellers in Indian cities.

The Yeti is a boon for our rough roads and tight parking situations here.

Its a great combination of everyday car and adventure car rolled into one, which is exactly why I went and bought one.

And the Yeti fits under the carport at the side of my house.

A Freelander would too, but I wouldn't be able to get out of it! :giggle:

These comparisons are the same as Octy VRS owners comparing their cars with a BMW M3. Quite quick same shape..ish but much cheaper. Yeti owners will aspire to and compare with the Evoque and congratulate themselves on a sensible choice. Evoque owners probably don't have the same restrictions and wouldn't consider the Yeti.. patently good car that it is.

These comparisons are the same as Octy VRS owners comparing their cars with a BMW M3. Quite quick same shape..ish but much cheaper. Yeti owners will aspire to and compare with the Evoque and congratulate themselves on a sensible choice. Evoque owners probably don't have the same restrictions and wouldn't consider the Yeti.. patently good car that it is.

You have a point, Redboy, but the better comparison would be the Freelander.

The Evoque is a frightfully garish device-my own view- but having seen a few now I really don't think I could live with one. They have the same problem as the RR Sport compared with the Discovery and are plainly intended to appeal to the footballer demographic.

The Freelander is an altogether more restrained and respectable device. I could see myself in one, my sister has had a series and each has been better than the last. Her current dark coloured one with many bells and whistles is an appealing thing. It is bigger than I want and very much more expensive and so that settled matters.

There is little to liken between the Octy and the M3. Those who buy an elderly (admittedly quick) front wheel drive car when they would prefer the best developed super sports saloon available may have delusions about their cars but they don't do the same job a nearer comparison would be the 320.

Agree. I think my point is that Skoda owners get a good product for the money but that comparing Skodas with more expensive brands stands comparison... to a point. You get what you pay for and the marketing departments play to our aspirations and pockets.

Agree. I think my point is that Skoda owners get a good product for the money but that comparing Skodas with more expensive brands stands comparison... to a point. You get what you pay for and the marketing departments play to our aspirations and pockets.

I agree and there is an undoubted badge premium. Skoda-if they have a model which fits your needs-give better value than other VAG brands and like Seat they don't always do so by using older platforms or components.

The Yeti is a good example as it is priced below the VW equivalent but stands fair comparison with it, I spent some time with a Tiguan over a few days in the spring and can't honestly account for the higher price.

Oddly the most likely alternative for me was a BMW 3 series but what I would have got for the money wasn't as attractive.