Naming Yetis

domhnall

I'd have expected it to be a little more original than that :(

only twice was I mistaken for a taxi = once at Glasgow airport when a traffic warden was chasing off all the waiting ars but directed me to the back of the rank instead, and then last month at Edinburgh airport when a taxi driver mistook me for a taxi - that was somehow worse.

Interesting views, seems like those of us who do not name our cars are in the minority on here. But, most of those who do have named previous cars so it's not a particularly skoda or yeti thing.

Interesting views, seems like those of us who do not name our cars are in the minority on here. But, most of those who do have named previous cars so it's not a particularly skoda or yeti thing.

Thread moved to general car chat then? ;)

Thread moved to general car chat then? ;)

somewhere in my dad's house there is a four foot long wooden spoon with the words "world's greatest stirrer" on it....

:rofl:

somewhere in my dad's house there is a four foot long wooden spoon with the words "world's greatest stirrer" on it....

Sorry.......just practising for becoming a moderator ;)

That's interesting

I have had a few discussions with my Yeti whilst commuting, and after talking about whether he was a he/she, Mr/Mrs, Master/Miss, we decided that he was a Master and then regarding a name the only thing we really thought positively on was Master Yoda the Skoda, but we then decided that as the real Yoda is green and he is Aqua blue, that it wasn't really right (and George Lucas would bring legal proceeding against us!)

My X-Trail was and will forever be known emotionally as 'My Exy' or 'Exy Trail'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbup: Nice One.

Well my "Yoda" looks more like Darth Vader than a 2 foot green Jedi knight! But Yoda he shall remain.

Betty for me has the best ring to it.

I have had a few discussions with my Yeti whilst commuting, and after talking about whether he was a he/she, Mr/Mrs, Master/Miss,

hang on, you've had conversations with your car? Other than it saying things like "main menu" when you hit the phone button?

this is more serious than I thought......

My Yeti is sometimes called Monster, the MX-5 is Magnus and the V5 is Monty. Only the latter two are generally referred to by their names. The Yeti is normally just referred to as "the Yeti".

hang on, you've had conversations with your car? Other than it saying things like "main menu" when you hit the phone button?

this is more serious than I thought......

The car doesn't talk back as such, just gives positive or negative vibes to suggestions I make, to be honest out of the cars I have had the Yeti is the one I feel less personally connected too, I don't know if its because its new and still hasn't developed a personality, or maybe as it replaced a car where most journeys commenced with sweet talking and possibly slight physical contact, mainly with the words 'please start, please start' and then when starting didn't happen a row would occur, where I would pack all my personal stuff up and move it out, only to come back and state, 'I'm sorry I got angry with you, I know its not your fault'.

I think the three months away in scandinavia alone together started this bond, where most of my other conversations were with retired German couples who invited me into there R.V's and then mainly told me how strange it was that the English had milk in there tea! :doh:

The car doesn't talk back as such, just gives positive or negative vibes to suggestions I make, to be honest out of the cars I have had the Yeti is the one I feel less personally connected too, I don't know if its because its new and still hasn't developed a personality, or maybe as it replaced a car where most journeys commenced with sweet talking and possibly slight physical contact, mainly with the words 'please start, please start' and then when starting didn't happen a row would occur, where I would pack all my personal stuff up and move it out, only to come back and state, 'I'm sorry I got angry with you, I know its not your fault'.

I think the three months away in scandinavia alone together started this bond, where most of my other conversations were with retired German couples who invited me into there R.V's and then mainly told me how strange it was that the English had milk in there tea! :doh:

I feel like I've just entered 'The Twilight Zone' B)

The Fuhrer does all the car naming, fior a quiet life I do not interfere. 'Snowy' is a Candy white Yeti and 'Gordon' is a Metallic Brown smart fortwo, so called because a)he is fiscally prudent and b)Brown as in Gordon.

I'll get my coat, and yes you could argue about the 'fiscally prudent bit'.

My previous steed was a much loved Alfa 156 GTA, that was called 'Lucretia' (Borgia) because it was drop dead gorgeous but likely to poison the world (very high CO2 output).

A Mitsubishi CZT earned no name at all because it was terminally dull - again I didn't argue. A Honda Civic Type R was christened 'Hari' as in Kiri because although it was later thrashed by the Alfa performance wise it was at the time the most scary thing the Fuhrer had ever been in.

I don't pretend to understand such anthropomorphism but I don't mind in the least.

When I first started driving in 19 mumble mumble it was in my old man's Mk1 Cortina that she who was later to become SWMBO named Daisy May.

No other car was named until I got the first Skoda. SWMBO immediately named it "Bart" because she reckons the Skoda badge is Bart Simpson riding on a broomstick!

When I first started driving in 19 mumble mumble it was in my old man's Mk1 Cortina that she who was later to become SWMBO named Daisy May.

No other car was named until I got the first Skoda. SWMBO immediately named it "Bart" because she reckons the Skoda badge is Bart Simpson riding on a broomstick!

I've heard less polit descriptions of the badge ! :D

Can't say I'm persuaded to name my car though, I reckon I'll stick with "the Skoda" :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

As per my signature; Kevin - after the large but fast, brightly coloured bird in the Disney film 'Up'.

SWMBO and son think I'm bonkers, so within the family Kevin is simply referred to as 'Yeti'.

I have had an MGZS 180 previously with a couple of mods and that got called Burble because of the lovely V6 overrun - it could well have been named by my daughter.

I am tempted to call the Yeti Roary (as a bit of a skit on Roary the Racing Car... given that it's a Greenline) because of the Reg: RO12 AYE, or maybe Scotty... but I don't feel a burning urge to name it and when I talk to my other half I do tend to say 'The Yeti' - my daughter who named the MG hasn't seen the Yeti as yet so maybe it will get a name this weekend when I visit them...

My other half has taken on the task of naming cars in our household (her earlier masterpieces include Rolf the Golf and Hocus Focus). When we got our first Yeti, it was immediately named Buzz for no good reason that I could see.

As it turns out, this was eerily prescient as:

1) Buzz Lightyear is a well know fictional character

2) A lightyear is a measure of vast distance

3) Our Buzz did indeed rack up a vast mileage before we traded him in a couple of weeks ago.

His replacement is called Skippy. No, I have no idea why.

Phibes.

Edited by Dr Phibes
  • Like 1

Never, ever have I felt the need to name a car! They have always just been the car ... or if being particularly pointed the Skoda.

However the Yeti seems to have a personality all of its own ... so mine is called Gentle Yentle! However I guess the 170 TDi is not the most gentle option so maybe it should be (slightly!) Mental Yentle!

My Yeti is called 'my car' or 'the car'. Sometimes the former to avoid the ambiguity of the latter since there are usually 2 cars in our driveway, and so as not to confuse said car with my wife's work car, which I call 'her car', and she calls 'my car'. She often calls my car 'our car'. This may sounds like a sticking point, but it is not - it's simply a differing point of view. Regardless when mentioned with implied ownership it is 'my car', but more often just 'the car'.

Having said that, technically 'my car' is not really 'my car' and is owned (mostly) by a bank somewhere up the finance chain - though my ownership will increase over time. Also, technically, 'her car' is not 'her car' since it's owned by her place of employment (or her employer's bank). Once again, regardless of all this, I still refer to 'my car' as 'my car' or 'the car', and she 'our car' for 'my car', and 'my car' for 'her car'.

I have two mountain bikes. One, a Santa Cruz Nomad is 'the Nomad'. The other, a Niner EMD9, is 'the Niner' or 'the 29er'. When I am astride one and with acceptable distance from the other, the one I am upon is 'my bike' since my other bike is not present so there's no reason for any confusion as to the owner of this other bike. If I am to imply a degree of quantity to my mountain bike ownership in these cases, then whichever bike I am upon is 'one of my bikes'. In all situations, they are always 'my bikes', since I own them.

Usually, for all things except people (who have names), the name I give it is most often 'The [object]'.

I'm super creative.

• Like 2