VRS DSG Rattle

mrobbo

I have done about 1300miles in my Fabia II VRS DSG now. At around 250 miles i noticed a rattle coming from underneath front of the car so I booked it into my dealers. I could only hear the rattle when the windows were down and when the car was in a confined space, going between park cars slowly on a rough (ish) road surface or going down a backs with walls each side or going over speed bumps. I was under the impression it was the exhaust catching on a heat shield but after further investigation it seems to be coming from the DSG gearbox.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their Fabia VRS or any VRS owners listen out for this as I'm not convinced what I have been told by the dealers.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this subject as this rattle will drive me insane just because I knows its there!

Guest George512

I think I have this! It's like a light, tinny rattle, sounding exactly like a heatshield, as you describe...

Mine is going to go in the dealers soon to have an EML looked at so I'll let you know the findings.

Not so impressed with the build quality as a whole really. I have a REALLY annoying knocking coming from the rear of the car... sounds like the parcel shelf or rear seats knocking. It's really frustrating! I hate rattles and noises!

Not so impressed with the build quality as a whole really. I have a REALLY annoying knocking coming from the rear of the car... sounds like the parcel shelf or rear seats knocking. It's really frustrating! I hate rattles and noises!

Try moving the twin rear seat belt buckels apart...solved a really annoying rattle in my rear!

Guest George512

Try moving the twin rear seat belt buckels apart...solved a really annoying rattle in my rear!

I've already discovered that rattle, but thanks! The rattle I have really is more like a knocking. Sounds almost like a bush has gone on the suspension. But surely not on a 6 month old car...

I have this rattle sound from the dsg. Mainly at low speeds when you come of the gas and just rolling. The sort of situation when you engage the clutch in a manual rolling upto the lights. Been in 3 times about my gearbox rattling and dropping out of gear but the dealer never finds a fault.

I have done about 1300miles in my Fabia II VRS DSG now. At around 250 miles i noticed a rattle coming from underneath front of the car so I booked it into my dealers. I could only hear the rattle when the windows were down and when the car was in a confined space, going between park cars slowly on a rough (ish) road surface or going down a backs with walls each side or going over speed bumps. I was under the impression it was the exhaust catching on a heat shield but after further investigation it seems to be coming from the DSG gearbox.

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their Fabia VRS or any VRS owners listen out for this as I'm not convinced what I have been told by the dealers.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this subject as this rattle will drive me insane just because I knows its there!

I think I have this! It's like a light, tinny rattle, sounding exactly like a heatshield, as you describe...

Mine is going to go in the dealers soon to have an EML looked at so I'll let you know the findings.

The new DSG7 is known for having rattling issues. Two friends of mine also can hear the same noise and they both drive polos 1.2Tsi. I think the sound you hear is the same as the videos below. That sound is only annoying and beyond that their gearboxes works fine.

Audi (S-tronic is the name but it is the same as DSG)

Seat Ibiza

(Can't find out if its a polo or a golf) Edited by stratosg
  • Like 1

Like you I do hear it change gear sometimes but only with the windows down and in town along with the clutch of the charger engaging when I boot it. Doesn't bother me and since it's mechanical I'd expect it to make some kind of noise. It works fine so I don't see a problem.

As for other noises I do hear relays click now and again when certain things are on like the intermittent wipers. Rattles? The arm rest and the boot pull shelf but nothing major.

The new DSG7 is known for having rattling issues. Two friends of mine also can hear the same noise and they both drive polos 1.2Tsi. I think the sound you hear is the same as the videos below. That sound is only annoying and beyond that their gearboxes works fine.

Audi (S-tronic is the name but it is the same as DSG)

Seat Ibiza

(Can't find out if its a polo or a golf)

Thank you Stratosg, I sat and watched the video and this is exactly what I am experiencing on mine.

I am one of those people who I know this rattle will drive me bonkers but I am also not convinced that this is just the norm for some DSG's as I have been informed by Skoda!

I have owned DSG's before and none of those ever rattled. If it was just the norm then wouldn't they all rattle?

I have this and booked it in.

Skoda UK said it was the noise the DSG makes when in 3rd selecting 2nd and is ok, I made them print it off just in case lol.

I will also post and say I have this issue too and have already had it in at the dealers for it.

The head mechanic reckons it's normal and could replicate it by both driving it and having it on the ramp and turning the front n/s wheel back and forth quickly. Apparently, according to him/Skoda it's standard backlash and normal for the box.

It's still really annoying if your travelling at low speeds and have the window open though.

-Will

I'm not sure if this is what is causing a similar noise on my DSG 1.2TSI. Driving in slow traffic, the DSG in second and just creeping forward with no gas - gearbox won't change to 1st as it's going too fast but equally I think it's labouring - a bit like trying to drive away in 3rd in a manual car. Any ideas if this is the same noise we are talking about here?

Yep mine does exactly the same, dealer told me its nothing to worry about, it's just a quirk of that gearbox. He also said that pretty much all of them do it but they rarely get any complaints about it.

The vag group is aware for the dsg rattle probs all over the world, I suggest to put it in warranty before the expiration..simple as it is.

If you want to see more check YouTube, or other international forums from the VW, Audi , Seat, Skoda cars

+1 for that :thumbup:

Basically a few months before warranty expires take it in and get it checked if you are keeping it - however I suspect if car is FSSH then Skoda may cover gearbox failure a while after warranty.

Having said that, a new warranty is £200 - £300 a year?

Thank you Stratosg, I sat and watched the video and this is exactly what I am experiencing on mine.

I am one of those people who I know this rattle will drive me bonkers but I am also not convinced that this is just the norm for some DSG's as I have been informed by Skoda!

I have owned DSG's before and none of those ever rattled. If it was just the norm then wouldn't they all rattle?

Hi Mrobbo, I know that you are going slightly mad but please don't. After all there is no other problem with your gearbox. Please keep in mind that your previous DGS cars never rattled because that awful rattle do exist only at new generation group VAG DSG gearboxes having seven (7) gears. Previous DSG gearboxes had six (6) gears. I think the noise comes from dual mass clutch which is dry and I am afraid that this noise will still exist after clutch replacement.

Of course I am not a car mechanic and the above opinion comes from what I 've read on the Web and from what I've heard in discussions with friends.

The only positive thing is that there are many people having the same issue which means that if something new come up you will be informed in a short time.

Like you I do hear it change gear sometimes but only with the windows down and in town along with the clutch of the charger engaging when I boot it. Doesn't bother me and since it's mechanical I'd expect it to make some kind of noise. It works fine so I don't see a problem.

As for other noises I do hear relays click now and again when certain things are on like the intermittent wipers. Rattles? The arm rest and the boot pull shelf but nothing major.

You can also hear very fast relay clicking on and off if you activate rear windscreen defroster and then move your steering wheel to the left and to the right just like when you are performing parking maneuvers. Click here and also here.

As about the arm rest please read the Off Topic comment at this post.

Yeah I've had the fast clicking. To be honest it's the first car I've ever heard relays working.

Was looking for Gummi Pfledge but forgot the name. Thanks

I noticed the relays clicking for the first time last Friday and wanted to post about this but after reading some posts I suppose it's not important.

In my case, It did not have to do with rear defrost but with the speed of the wipers: In the 1st level of slow and intermittent movement, I hear the relay click 2 times during every move, one the beginning of the movement and another one when the wiper returns to a full stop. If I switch to faster wiping (level 2+) then the wipers move is continuous and the relay stops clicking (as its working constantly I suppose).

Maybe normal, but as Martyn says, first car I hear the relays clicking... Modern electrics?

Edited by newbie69