yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

Right, I'll do that then.......any takers for my bulbs???

I will let you know postage costs when I'm back in sunny Sussex

Aren't you in a Catch 22 situation that LED bulbs last way longer than ordinary bulbs i.e. I'm not likely to want a replacement in the life of my Yeti. Oops!

Of course some of us may have the SuperSkoda originally supplied resistors going spare....... :) (and may even offer guidance on fitting LOL!

Not according to their current advert::

!!! WORLDWIDE FREE AIRMAIL SHIPPING !!!

- fits ALL Yeti models

- NO error code on the display

- ultra white colour

- no ugly yellow daylight again

Now if they were in the UK you could have them under the Trade Descriptions Act!

As stated by others Graham, they don`t claim in the wording to NOT need the resistors, just NO error codes, which I don`t have so no International trade laws broken ! :think:

I take it you don`t have the upgraded lights then?

All I'm saying is that the advert is misleading. If we advertised an item like that in our shop then we would contravene the Trade Descriptions Act, as to get them "code free" you are required to fit an additional part, which they do not state.

And no, the only lights I have up-graded are my headlights, with Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'll do that then.......any takers for my bulbs???

I will let you know postage costs when I'm back in sunny Sussex

Many thanks to Macdemon for supply the SuperSkoda DRLs for me.

Got my DRL bulbs switched over yesterday. An interesting exercise. Took about 15 - 20 mins to remove each of the BenzinFarb bulbs, but less than two minutes to fit the SuperSkoda ones. Got my measuring callipers out and compared some essential measurements and, simply, I can see why the SuperSkoda ones fit more easily.

Technical difference between the two bulbs making the SuperSkoda ones brighter are;-

BenzinFarb - 5 faces of 3 LEDs + 3 LED on top = 18 LEDs

SuperSkoda - 6 faces of 4 LEDs + 3 LED on top = 27 LEDs

In defence of the BenzinFarb ones they were an 'early' item (Feb 2011) and may have been improved since I bought them.

Here's a pic of Kevin with one of each bulb; doesn't take much to notice which is brighter;-

DSC_00701.jpg

Also one taken late yesterday pm in a local car park (with SuoperSkoda DRLs);-

DSC_00801.jpg

Many thanks to Macdemon for supply the SuperSkoda DRLs for me.

Got my DRL bulbs switched over yesterday. An interesting exercise. Took about 15 - 20 mins to remove each of the BenzinFarb bulbs, but less than two minutes to fit the SuperSkoda ones. Got my measuring callipers out and compared some essential measurements and, simply, I can see why the SuperSkoda ones fit more easily.

Technical difference between the two bulbs making the SuperSkoda ones brighter are;-

BenzinFarb - 5 faces of 3 LEDs + 3 LED on top = 18 LEDs

SuperSkoda - 6 faces of 4 LEDs + 3 LED on top = 27 LEDs

In defence of the BenzinFarb ones they were an 'early' item (Feb 2011) and may have been improved since I bought them.

Here's a pic of Kevin with one of each bulb; doesn't take much to notice which is brighter;-

Also one taken late yesterday pm in a local car park (with SuoperSkoda DRLs);-

Yikes! That is a bit TOO bright me thinks! I'm happy with my Benzin ones I think. LOL Even though they were an utter, utter, total pain in the backside to fit.

• Like 1

I was just wondering if these new ones were indeed 'too' bright for DLR lamps. They certainly look it from that last photo but I guess that could be the exposure control of the camera making them look worse than they are in real life? They are also a little higher on the Yeti than some designs so Id be worried about glare towards oncoming traffic. I like the idea of LED DLR lamps however. :)

I too prefer LED DLRs but assume that may well be one of the facelift elements in the next Yeti, so I'll save myself the bother of swapping bulbs and buy a new Yeti instead in about 18 months' time!

I was just wondering if these new ones were indeed 'too' bright for DLR lamps. They certainly look it from that last photo but I guess that could be the exposure control of the camera making them look worse than they are in real life? They are also a little higher on the Yeti than some designs so Id be worried about glare towards oncoming traffic. I like the idea of LED DLR lamps however. :)

I was just wondering who Yeti_Man is; then I saw your signature. :giggle:

Probably correct as photo was taken under fluorescent lights in car park with outside being dark (around 5:15pm) and on my mobile.

I'll try and get a better one done in daylight and 'at a distance' i.e. to replicate view from oncoming driver.

I feel they're OK as I'd thought the BezinFarb ones were not bright enough; we'll see.

• Like 1

Probably correct as photo was taken under fluorescent lights in car park with outside being dark (around 5:15pm) and on my mobile.

I'll try and get a better one done in daylight and 'at a distance' i.e. to replicate view from oncoming driver.

If you could take a daylight shot that would be great as Im very tempted indeed by these. I just feel that in that photo they seem to produce a lot of uncontrolled glare. Thanks.

If you could take a daylight shot that would be great as Im very tempted indeed by these. I just feel that in that photo they seem to produce a lot of uncontrolled glare. Thanks.

Here we go then Gentlemen. Photos as requested in which I've tried to get an 'eye-line' as If an oncoming motorist;-

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

In hindsight though, If I haven't been seen by now, at this distance, it's probably a bit too late. :giggle:

On balance, just about the correct brightness; unlike most Audi's that dazzle with their string of LEDs.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. They look great - I knew it would most likely be the exposure of that underground car park photo that made them look too powerful!

Great.

ps - that wasnt you that flashed/waved to me in Enfield, Old Forge Rd, Forty Hill a couple of weeks back was it? Your plate looks familiar...

• Like 1

There's working and there's working. Lighting up is working to some extent, which they will do without the resistors. However, the resistor is there to fool the ECU into believing a standard bulb is still in place (and not blown); over time you may find that the bulb failure warning comes up.

• 2 years later...

THREAD RESURRECTION . . . . .

Well, after two and a bit years my SuperSkoda LED DRLs need replacing.

I've noticed in recent months that the light pattern was uneven and lo, yesterday, I got a message on my MFD to 'check left front daylight running light'. 

Both bulbs are working but on close inspection there are at least 5-6 LED diodes on each bulb that are not giving out light.  This explains the uneven light I have been seeing and I've likely got one diode too many that has blown on the left bulb to trigger the bulb warning.

Decision now is whether to get replacement LED DRLs or revert to OE spec bulbs (which I've got tucked away).  Investigation required.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't quickly find any replacement led DRLs so switched back to OE one on Good Friday.

It reminded me how much of a PITA it is to remove / install the DRLs. Never again!

Guy