Upgraded Soundsystem

Does anyone on here have the upgraded 10 speaker Soundsystem? What do you think of it? I am very disappointed with mine. The volume and sound quality is no better than that from the system in a boggo spec Mondeo Edge. Speech is very clear but, other then that, the sound is very thin, rather tinny and lacking in oomph. I mostly listen to classical music and find that I have to have the volume about half way up to hear anything like what the composer intended.

If this is an upgrade I dread to think what the standard system must be like.

Edited by Farmerjim

I have the upgraded sound system and it's a massive improvement on the standard system that I had in my Octavia.

However...

You need to have a play about with it, especially the surround (in tone) which you can focus on the driver (well you can on the columbus anyway) this I've found makes all the difference and as it's usually just me in the car it doesn't really matter :giggle:

I have the upgraded sound system and it's a massive improvement on the standard system that I had in my Octavia.

However...

You need to have a play about with it, especially the surround (in tone) which you can focus on the driver (well you can on the columbus anyway) this I've found makes all the difference and as it's usually just me in the car it doesn't really matter :giggle:

I have tried all that, still sounds weak and thin. Is it possible that the additional amplifier is somehow not working and I am just getting the sound of the standard Amundsen head unit through the 10 speakers?

Mine is now working fine after the early speakers were replaced (MY11).

Not as good as the Bose in my Audi but a vast difference compared with the Superb's standard fit.

Phil.

I'm very impressed with the 10 speaker system and columbus in my newly acquired Superb. It took a few days to get it sounding right though, I found the surround setting was set to front when i picked the car up and no matter of tweaking of the fader got the rear speakers to do anything. Now turned surround off and things are much improved, the system is massively better than the stock audio systems in my previous Octavia, BMW 130 and Mini.

Chris

I have the upgrade sound system in my 2009 Superb and wasalso disappointed. As discussed elsewhere on this forum the sound did improveover time but my personal opinion is that the speakers and the way they aremounted cannot handle the power from the amplifier particularly if you listenat a volume high enough to get good base reproduction. I too listen to a lot ofclassical music but have not listened to much music since getting the Superbbecause of the poor sound quality. I now tend to listen to talk radio thereforeI have not opted for the sound system in the new Superb I have just ordered. Myprevious car (an Omega estate) had a Bose system fitted and was far superiorhowever it also cost more. May people on here have reported that they like theupgraded system and I wish I was one of them as this is the only aspect of thecar I have not been completely happy about.

:(

OK, to those ones who have upgraded their Superbs' audio system to 10 speaker version:

1) did you use OEM material for the upgrade or just purchased anything else suitable for your needs?

2) how much did it cost?

3) did you upgrade it by yourself or got the technician to do it?

I got the chance to try 10 speaker audio system (Bolero) while I took a testdrive with 3.6V6 SuperB Estate. Was a bit better than my 8 speaker system (Bolero as well) but not a significant improve. But I'd still be interested to upgrade if it's not too pricey.

I have tried all that, still sounds weak and thin. Is it possible that the additional amplifier is somehow not working and I am just getting the sound of the standard Amundsen head unit through the 10 speakers?

Not sure where you're based but if you're in London or Essex I don't mind meeting you so you can have a listen.

The latest versions of the Sound System (appr. 2011 or newer) are much better than the earlier versions. In the German Skoda forums I have read reports from people who have owned a 2008 or 2009 Superb and who own a new (2011) Superb now. They report massive improvements.

Me, I have only got experience with my MY 2012 S2. I think the sound system sounds very well, not thin at all. I've never owned a car with such high quality sound.

Edited by andrehj

The latest versions of the Sound System (appr. 2011 or newer) are much better than the earlier versions. In the German Skoda versions I have read reports from people who have owned a 2008 or 2009 Superb and who own a new (2011) Superb now. They report massive improvements.

Me, I have only got experience with my MY 2012 S2. I think the sound system sounds very well, not thin at all. I've never owned a car with such high quality sound.

+1 my 11 plate (May registered) sounds very good. Not thin, although the base and treble are on full :rofl:

Edited by dobbey

I upgraded my Bolero (on SE model) to a Columbus and there was a sound improvement, the sound system is a vast improvement on standard 8 speakers (with the Columbus).

Perhaps the Bolero does not deliver that improvement with the sound system? so it could only be worthwile on a Columbus unit?

You need to have a good mess with all the settings. I wonder if there is a difference between having the stereo upgrade with a columbus unit and a bolero unit? Wouldn't have thought so but that might be why it may sound different.

I've always thought the standard system was good and the upgrade was awesome but you need to set it up properly to get it to sound right otherwise I find it has too much bass or too much treble.

Does anyone on here have the upgraded 10 speaker Soundsystem? What do you think of it? I am very disappointed with mine. The volume and sound quality is no better than that from the system in a boggo spec Mondeo Edge. Speech is very clear but, other then that, the sound is very thin, rather tinny and lacking in oomph. I mostly listen to classical music and find that I have to have the volume about half way up to hear anything like what the composer intended.

If this is an upgrade I dread to think what the standard system must be like.

I cannot comment on the standard set-up by this was the first option on my first Superb MK II and also the first on my, yet to be delivered, second. I have previously had Audi's with the BOSE set-up and was keen to have a decent sound as I spend 2 - 3 hours a day driving to and from work. I must say that I find the sound is very good, but then again, I may also be tone deaf.

You need to have a good mess with all the settings. I wonder if there is a difference between having the stereo upgrade with a columbus unit and a bolero unit? Wouldn't have thought so but that might be why it may sound different.

I've always thought the standard system was good and the upgrade was awesome but you need to set it up properly to get it to sound right otherwise I find it has too much bass or too much treble.

Mine has the Amundsen. I don't know how that sits in the hierarchy of sound.

Dad had a superb greenline on loan from his leasing company and the sound quality of the stereo was awful, even when fiddling with the settings I could not get a decent sound. My symphony unit in my old mk1 provided a better sound.

I still want a mk2 though :) just waiting for them to drop in second hand value!!

Dad had a superb greenline on loan from his leasing company and the sound quality of the stereo was awful, even when fiddling with the settings I could not get a decent sound.

Totally agree with you.

The delivery time of my SuperB Greenline was 4 months 3 weeks. During that time I drove Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. The car itself was terrible but its sound system (original one) was one the best I've ever heard. When I received my SuperB Greenline, its sound system sounded (still sounds) pretty lame to me :( But the car itself is a whole lot better than Citroen.

I have the upgraded sound system and I think its great comparing it with the standard system, not weak or thin.

However one time when I was listening on the radio with the ignition off, there was almost no bass, but when i turned the ignition on the bass came back. Almost like the amplifier was turned off...

Maybe you have the system installed but your amplifier is not working correctly?

/P