Tank venting

Usually you can press the button in and youll hear a noise as the air escapes, fill up a little more and so on.

But dont do it on a petrol car (not so sure on the diesel) im told the petrol backs up down the breather line and fills up your charcoal cansiter and can damage the ACF valve.

I have to say but i just dont see the point of this anyway....apart from maybe having to fill up a little later than usual....but then you still have to do it :confused:

The point is you can squeeze more fuel in. :)

But the free space is there for good reason.

Yes, its there to allow for expansion of fuel in hot weather, so its best to use the vent trick when you are going on a longer journey where the extra fuel is likely to be used up.

Perhaps not a good idea if the car is going to be left in hot sun straight after filling up.

Not such a problem at this time of year and personally find it useful as i can get in around an extra 10l after the pump first automatically cuts out, allowing around 500 - 550 miles between fills.

:)

If the tank is 55 litres, and I am almost dry - how come I could only squeeze in 53 litres exactly?

I used the venting trick (something I remembered from my Seat Toledo) and clicked the nodule about 25 times. Didn't dare click it anymore.

I'd drove an additional 20 miles since the trip computer said 0 miles and the needle on fuel gauge was completely to the left.

Has anyone else managed to stick more fuel in than this? It's diesel by the way.