Show us your Yeti winter wheels

205/55/16 isn't the wrong size, it's one of the two options given for winter tyres in the manual (unless you have a Greenline in which case that's the standard size).

The 205/55/16 is the only option if you intend to fit snow chains. The difference between 205/55/16 and 225/50/17 is 3.8% or 4.8% comparing 205/55 to 215/60/16. Depending on which size you're running for your summer wheels, it's not that big a jump - with my 205/55 winters the speedo reads 65 when GPS says I'm doing 60. With the 17s it's 62 when doing 60.

Other problem is, 205/55 is the wrong size! 

There's a quite a big difference between that, and the 215/60 that's listed inside the filler-cap! - That's over 5% difference... (770 vs 811 rev's / mile) 

Al. 

Hi Al

I was really confused by all the different advise I recieved on this topic so I contacted Skoda UK and they told me that the 205/55 was the only one they recommended.

As you say the filler cap does say  215/60 but it also gives other options including 205/55.

So I'm  even more confused now as what you say about rev's is quite right.

TP did a really helpful write up on winters some time ago.

In the end I went for 205/55 as my insurance indicated I had to follow Skoda UK's advice be it right or wrong.

Hi Al

I was really confused by all the different advise I recieved on this topic so I contacted Skoda UK and they told me that the 205/55 was the only one they recommended.

In the end I went for 205/55 as my insurance indicated I had to follow Skoda UK's advice be it right or wrong.

The problem with the people at SUK is that sometimes you don't always get the answer to the question you asked.

You were quoted tyre sizes for winter tyres that are compatible with the fitment of snowchains.

If you just want to run winter tyres and have no intention of fitting chains then 215/60's are also a permitted size. In fact that is the size supplied by Skoda for all 16" rims ex factory.

The manual quotes the following when talking about inflation pressures for winter tyres...

"The tyre inflation pressure for tyres of the tyre size 205/50 R17 or 205/55 R16, which are intended to be used with snow chains, is identical to the tyre inflation pressure for tyres of the tyre size 225/45 R17 or 215/60 R16".

• Like 1

Put winter tyres on for the first time this year. Still chuffed with my £170 audi alloys and £200 contis (bought from a neighbour as he now has a Freelander)

20131118_134705.jpg 

20131118_134715.jpg

The wheels aren't pristine, but they look ok unless looking close, at least I won't have to worry about cleaning thoroughly to get the salt and crap off. Main wheels cleaned inside and out, waxed and put away for the winter.

"The tyre inflation pressure for tyres of the tyre size 205/50 R17 or 205/55 R16, which are intended to be used with snow chains, is identical to the tyre inflation pressure for tyres of the tyre size 225/45 R17 or 215/60 R16".

This is the first time I have seen reference (officially?) to 225/45/R17 

The problem with the people at SUK is that sometimes you don't always get the answer to the question you asked.

You were quoted tyre sizes for winter tyres that are compatible with the fitment of snowchains.

If you just want to run winter tyres and have no intention of fitting chains then 215/60's are also a permitted size. In fact that is the size supplied by Skoda for all 16" rims ex factory.

This answer seems to explain everything and makes a lot of sense, thanks mate :happy:

Put winter tyres on for the first time this year. Still chuffed with my £170 audi alloys and £200 contis (bought from a neighbour as he now has a Freelander)

That's the same wheels (Audi 'Artis') as I put on my L&K last weekend.  Mine were a bargain off eBay at £90 set, though my tyres were a bit pricier than yours (£350 for 4 new Vredestein's from Oponeo).

I see you still have the Audi centre caps on too - are you planning changing them ?  I had hoped that the centre caps off my standard wheels would fit, but they're too small and I'm not sure what size I need to look for as replacements.

That's the same wheels (Audi 'Artis') as I put on my L&K last weekend.  Mine were a bargain off eBay at £90 set, though my tyres were a bit pricier than yours (£350 for 4 new Vredestein's from Oponeo).

I see you still have the Audi centre caps on too - are you planning changing them ?  I had hoped that the centre caps off my standard wheels would fit, but they're too small and I'm not sure what size I need to look for as replacements.

Now feeling like I was ripped off  :(  :p

Same here with the centre caps, I have bought some some stick on badges for the caps, but the raised Audi logo needs to be ground off. I may just stick with the Audi caps, they are hardly noticeable.

Think i will be saving my money and keep standard wheels and tyres on all year round. If weather is that bad its a good enough reason not to go to work! Lets face it we all managed ok before this winter tyre craze started.

Same here with the centre caps, I have bought some some stick on badges for the caps, but the raised Audi logo needs to be ground off. I may just stick with the Audi caps, they are hardly noticeable.

Yes - I had a similar problem last year when running Audi A3 Alloys. I overcame the problem by getting some cheap Skoda centre caps from some bloke in Bulgaria (off Ebay).

I then stuck some stick velcro pads around the inside of the hub on the wheel and cut down the other part of the velcro and stuck that to the cap.

They stayed put all winter, which is more than could be said for the skoda emblems on the centre caps!!.

After a couple of washes they peeled off.

This year I purchased a new set of Spectrums, which came with new caps. So now I have two sets 1 for winter and one for summer.

winters.JPG

Think i will be saving my money and keep standard wheels and tyres on all year round. If weather is that bad its a good enough reason not to go to work! Lets face it we all managed ok before this winter tyre craze started.

My own car is RearWheel Drive, automatic and has a shed load of torque... i don't move in anything remotely white without winter tyres on... 

Dad's Yeti, should have been fine, but again, the Pirelli tyres that are original don't look too much like snow munchers! 

Al. 

ps. Plus, keeps the original AMG wheels looking good for two-thirds of the year! - and it's funny as hell to pass stuck RangeRover's too! 

We all used to stop before the disc brake craze too. I remember ordinary tyres before the radial craze. Before heaters motoring coats kept people from the cold.

One slither and crunch at walking pace will cost you more. I'm not sure what you do for a living but you may find yourself becoming dispensable if we have a poor winter.

• Like 4

Winter tyres are for use - "in the winter" - it does not have to be snowy, icy or below freezing. Once temperatures fall below 7c a winter tyre out performs a summer tyre in all aspects.

Obviously for those that cant afford a second set of wheels (and thats all you are considering, as the capital outlay on a second set of tyres is offset by the extended life of both) or have storage issues then there is no choice to be made.

Personally speaking I prefer to have the knowledge that I can stop in a shorter distance in the wet, can retain grip for longer in ice and snow.

If you don't have to go out when the roads are tricky then thats good, but many people do have to go out. Doctors, nurses, care workers, patients to hospital etc etc. When we had the snow at the beginning of the year Wessex 4x4 response (of whom I am a responder) did >5000 miles of such journeys in less than 7 days. We would not have been able to do so on summer rubber - 4x4's or not.

• Like 2

My own car is RearWheel Drive, automatic and has a shed load of torque... i don't move in anything remotely white without winter tyres on... 

That is why people with powerful RWD cars need to have a fair few bags of sand in the boot in snow! Tada problem solved. A FWD car has a lovely engine on top of the driven wheels helping with traction. A RWD car has nothing but an empty boot and perhaps a battery if you're lucky. Add some weight above the wheels and you should be able to get about easier.

This should be a fine winter in good old Wiltshire possibly for two reasons:

1. Winter tyres went back on yesterday
  2. I had a new boiler installed last week

No photos of my winter wheels as they are exactly the same wheels as my summer  :giggle:

There are loads of good wheel with winter tyre fitted on Mytyres, as dcl5ad mentioned in his post. The only difference is Rainworth deliver free and Mytres £9.90 for each wheel complete with tyre.

Do you need new wheel bolts if the winters are on steels?

No.  You use the exact same bolts you just don't put the plastic caps over them.

• Like 1

That is why people with powerful RWD cars need to have a fair few bags of sand in the boot in snow! Tada problem solved. A FWD car has a lovely engine on top of the driven wheels helping with traction. A RWD car has nothing but an empty boot and perhaps a battery if you're lucky. Add some weight above the wheels and you should be able to get about easier.

Yep, my boot's full of "work stuff" - around 100kg's extra - but on 9" wide Dunlop Sport Maxx GT MO which are almost bald when they are new, it's not rocket science to see why it just don't go in the Snow!

3-10-13-1%20(39).JPG

Dad's been out on all speeds now on his Goodyear Wrangler's on his Yeti and he's very happy so far - Snow has not yet been tested.. 

Al.

ps. tyres are not mine, but the same tread pattern... 

Yorkies moons and Goodyear Eagle GW3`s

attachicon.gifP1030803.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030827.JPG

Cheers

Peter

Old post and pics but now on for 3rd winter yersterday. Tyres still hardly worn reckon they have only done around 6000 miles.Most miege in summer but great if you want to go out playing in snow!!

Cheers

Peter