Leaving the heated wing mirrors on

When I picked up my Fabia estate back in September last year the salesperson said something along the lines of "and make sure you don't leave the heated wing mirrors on for too long as this might damage the electrics". I thought this was a bit odd as I would expect them to turn off automatically if this was a problem and didn't think any more of it. Since then I've used the heated mirrors quite a bit and have on more than one occasion forgotten to turn them off without any noticable effects. Could it really cause a problem leaving them on?

jmbo.

Skoda has obviously learnt from the Fabia MKI - there's an extra position on the control - left mirror, right mirror, heated, and off (used to just be left, right, and heated!).

Edited by Wee Bri

But on the MKI I'm fairly sure there was a "time out" which would switch them off even if you left them on.....thought I saw something that was adjustable for "time out" in VCDS...

Wonder why they don't link into the heated rear screen electrics, so they come on when the rear screen is on etc?

Superb has the same functions for the mirrors - heated, off etc

When I picked up my Fabia estate back in September last year the salesperson said something along the lines of "and make sure you don't leave the heated wing mirrors on for too long as this might damage the electrics". I thought this was a bit odd as I would expect them to turn off automatically if this was a problem and didn't think any more of it. Since then I've used the heated mirrors quite a bit and have on more than one occasion forgotten to turn them off without any noticable effects. Could it really cause a problem leaving them on?

jmbo.

Hi jmbo

I am not sure if the mk11 has a timer, but you won't do any harm to the wiring as such, but because the heating elements are very fine and could

burn out very easily, so turn off asap.

And our Mk1 does not switch off on a timer, the only way to turn them of is have the switch at either left/right but not in the middle position.

Radiotwo

my rear screen has a time out for sure, I'm not sure about the mirrors though, biggest harm I would though it would do is to your battery charge.... if your average journey is reletavley short and involves alot of stop start, you could be draining it... after a few weeks it may fail (the reason for this is the alernator will only "maintain" not charge the battery on tickover, if most of your drivivng isnt stop start, it wont affect it!)

as someone else said, eventually the element will fail, but I dont know...

my guess is if the rear screen times out, the mirrors probably do too...

Yes they do time out but if you were to leave the switch in the heated position then everytime you turned the car off then back on again they would be on.

The drivers side on mine needs replacing as it has worn out and barely gets luke warm whereas the passenger side gets toasty warm!

The glass with heated element in isn't much to buy but as said best to leave them off when not needed.

Phil

I wanted to post the same question but thought somebody would do it for me... :p I have forgotten them turned ON more than 3 times and for more than 2-3 days, (during which the car did approximately 20' trips) so I wondered If I had damaged them, they still do work ok however.

Main reason, apart from me forgetting them is there's no notification they are still working like for so many other things in the car. There could easily be a small light on the dashboard for when they're ON, even sharing the rear defrost's light if there was not enough space...

I think you will only damage them if they are left on for a prolonged period.

I think mine have burnt out becuase the previous owner probably left them switch on most of the time not realising.

I went to turn mine on a few weeks ago for the first time only to realise they were already on and probably had been since I've had the car.

They still work well enough so my guess is the hearing elements will come to the end of their life quicker if left on all the time.

Wonder why they don't link into the heated rear screen electrics, so they come on when the rear screen is on etc?

Superb has the same functions for the mirrors - heated, off etc

rear heated element puts a strain on the electrics, with heated mirros on at the same time...

Had my mk1 vrs for 3 years now and the mirrors have been left on heated since I got it, even through summer and they still work fine...

I find it funny how everyone is faffing about the elements burning out when a new mirror is only a few quid from dealer LOL

Had my mk1 vrs for 3 years now and the mirrors have been left on heated since I got it, even through summer and they still work fine...

I find it funny how everyone is faffing about the elements burning out when a new mirror is only a few quid from dealer LOL

it's a lot of money, hard earned money for a lot of people

each time i use this switch i think im going to break it, its just sooooo flimsy. i wonder what a new switch would cost as im more likely to break that than burn the element out

yeah agreed!, when i first twisted it all the way round to the heater symbol i thought it had sheered off, i though oops was i meant to do that???? lol.

So long as you're half-way handy with a soldering iron the "burnt-out" elements may be salvageable with a little effort.

As I was house-bound yesterday I took my drivers side mirror to bits to investigate its lack of heating.

Use a flat (wooden / cooking) spatula to remove the glass (just clips out, starting from the bottom edge) and then prise off the plastic "carrier" from the back of the glass (carefully !) Next, remove a thin (sticky) black membrane to reveal the printed element tracks.

Any burnt area should be easily visible. Clean the area with something like isopropyl alcohol to remove the glue residue and further clean up the "track" with one of those wonderful fibreglass pencils. Bridge the gap with a tiny length of wire and solder. Check your work with a multimeter - only a few ohms between the + and - connections is what you're looking for (just ensure there is continuity really as opposed to an open-circuit) Re-assemble and refit.

As usual in this litigatious world the above advice is given in good faith as it worked fine for me. No responsibility will be taken if it all goes nipples-north if you try it for yourself. As there's glass involved please use appropriate safeguards.

I checked out the offerings on that well-known internet auction site and reasoned that a lot of them (non OEM) would require some soldering work anyway then I might as well have a go at repairing the existing heater.

Cheers.

Pete

Our Mk1 did 50k miles in 8 years with the mirror heaters always on and were still working when we sold it.

My Passat has done 20k miles in 18 months with the heaters always on, still working.

Can't be bothered to remember to keep turning them off, seem to be fairly robust units.

Cheers

Lee

• 1 year later...

Realise this is an old thread, BUT....

Had a Saab 900 many years ago, heated seats and mirrors, both on permanently (Unless you unplug them) I suppose they use more power (fuel, to you and me) And over many, many years, may wear out but it was designed that way, not accidental!

That said, I am having a problem with my LHS mirror on my 59 plate Fabia, hence looking at older threads, where the glass goes left, right but not up/down, heater still operates fine, no sign of accidental damage. Perhaps this overheating has buggered up my wiring(?). 

Amid the repairing the element solution, I have not tested but have seen, a method of repairing the rear window element, that consists of a small bottle of liquid metal, like nail polish, that you carefully apply to bridge any breaks in the element. I am sure careful application to a mirror element should result in success, be cheaper then replacing the glass AND leave you with a sufficient quantity to repair more or pass on to others with the same dilemma!