How Long to Warm Up

hamro

Hi Guys,

I have had my 1.8TSI DSG combi since June and it is coming up to 6000 mls. One thing I have noticed recently is how long it takes to reach operating temperature on the guage. I drive off promptly from cold but it is about 3 mls before it reaches 90.

Is this normal for this engine?

Generally loving the car by the way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its the time of year, nothing to worry about at all. My PD140 is also taking around 10-12 miles to hit 90c, and takes around 3 miles before there is any sign of heat from the vents.

I have the diesel-aux-heater myself and it's pure ownage during the winter months here in Norway! With temperatures below -5c (and often down to -15c) it makes the mornings much more enjoyable both for me and the car! Nothing beats the feeling you get from getting into a car that's at +15c a cold, snowy morning! The only thing I don't like is that you can't pre-heat the seat from the remote! :(

I have the diesel-aux-heater myself and it's pure ownage during the winter months here in Norway! With temperatures below -5c (and often down to -15c) it makes the mornings much more enjoyable both for me and the car! Nothing beats the feeling you get from getting into a car that's at +15c a cold, snowy morning! The only thing I don't like is that you can't pre-heat the seat from the remote! :(

I am surprised with a modern car, my previous BMW petrol 6 pot was up to temparature in a few minutes irrespective of the outside temp. The water stat is meant to stay close until the engine is up to temperature. Running with a cold engine must be detrimental to fuel consumption

Im surprised the diesel Superb's don't have an auxiliary heater on them (the electric type).

Phil

With 'winter package' they do. Unless one ordered an petrol heater from the factory. Then the electric type is not present in the car even with these 'winter packages'.

The types of electric aux heaters they use now days won't heat the engine so it won't speed that up. It heats the incoming air and helps in getting warmer air in the cabin.

With 'winter package' they do. Unless one ordered an petrol heater from the factory. Then the electric type is not present in the car even with these 'winter packages'.

The types of electric aux heaters they use now days won't heat the engine so it won't speed that up. It heats the incoming air and helps in getting warmer air in the cabin.

Yeh. On a cold morning that's all you're bothered about... you being warm not the engine! lol

I can see the sense in not including it for us as we don't live in a really cold climate but it would make a huge difference.

Even being thinking of retro-fitting one on mine as they are available for near enough all models and share the same part number generally.

Oh and about the comment on the BMW 6 pot... it's a petrol so yes it does heat up much quicker than diesel!

3 miles!!! My 170 diesel is just hitting normal temp near the end of my 12 mile journey to work!! Not good at this time of the year.

Me also - 15 miles to normal operating temp today, really hurts fuel consumpton too !

Same here car takes ages to heat up even my heated seats back and front I was nearly home 7 mile journey from work this morning and seats wer only warm. How are these heated ? Is it from engine heat or are there heating elements in the seats ?

Edited by barts2

My 140 TDI takes a while to warm up, but is quicker than my old Mondeo. Fortunately the heated seat is nice and toasty very quickly indeed. :)

How long a min or 2 ? mine take ages

My Superb starts to blow warm air inside the cabin after only about 10-15 seconds.I saw that I have some type of electric heater inside the air vents,but maybe this one comes only at the Elegance spec.If you have VCDS,you can check byte 4,bit 1(must be checked) in module 09-Cent Elect if I remember it correctly.On the Octavia it's a separate controller for this electric thing(not to be confused with aux heating),but on Superbs they are somehow integrated in 09-Cent Elect.The seats become warm after about 2 minutes,but only if you seat on them,otherwise it takes ages :'( .And regarding the engine temp,it takes pretty much indeed.After 3-4 km it starts to rise from 60 degrees,but at that point the entire cabin is already at about 25° Celsius.All these are at an outside temperatures of -10° - 0° Celsius.

In colder parts of Europe the electric heater is standard, at least here it is. It will be excluded only in case of aux. heater.

The same goes for Saab i.e.

3 miles!!! My 170 diesel is just hitting normal temp near the end of my 12 mile journey to work!! Not good at this time of the year.

Ditto. My urban run each morning is under 8 miles but takes 30 - 35 minutes. Is getting warm but not hitting 90.

Boy, am I glad of my hot seat & hot screen these days running at around zero ambient.

Unfortunately it's not possible to have a parking heater with Greenline models :( So I only have an auxiliary heater which needs, of course, auxiliar electricity.

And how long does it take to warm up? Well, IMO too long. My old SAAB NG900 (which has an iron block) and 9-3SC (which I had before SuperB) do/did warm up faster than Skoda. Bummer :(

When I ordered SuperB Greenline Combi (=Estate), I asked my colleague whether SuperB would be warm enough during the winter time and would heat up just OK. He answered "OK, it will" so I ordered the car. So far I haven't "frozen" inside the car (those heated seats are brilliant btw.) but I'm afraid that it's gonna be cold if the winter really kicks in. Usually there's lots of snow and cold in Finland during this time of year but now it's only zero Celsius grade to that's good ;)

My Superb starts to blow warm air inside the cabin after only about 10-15 seconds.I saw that I have some type of electric heater inside the air vents,but maybe this one comes only at the Elegance spec.If you have VCDS,you can check byte 4,bit 1(must be checked) in module 09-Cent Elect if I remember it correctly.On the Octavia it's a separate controller for this electric thing(not to be confused with aux heating),but on Superbs they are somehow integrated in 09-Cent Elect.The seats become warm after about 2 minutes,but only if you seat on them,otherwise it takes ages :'( .And regarding the engine temp,it takes pretty much indeed.After 3-4 km it starts to rise from 60 degrees,but at that point the entire cabin is already at about 25° Celsius.All these are at an outside temperatures of -10° - 0° Celsius.

I have a 2010 Elegance spec June I think don't think I have the electric heater well if I do it don't work

I had option in congfigurator to add electrical heating (7E6 code - 165 EUR). When I asked dealer, he explained to me that heater is for engine not for cabin. Later I found here same information that there is option for having electrical heater for cabin. After already getting my Superb I have again tried with my dealer to check is it possible to have something like that. They asked official importer for Serbia and told me again that electrical heater is for engine only, to help to warm up engine in low temperatures. I guess it helps warming up cabin as well...

My daily office commute trip is 2 miles, I don't even see engine warming up at all during cold mornings. Can someone check:

1) What is option 7E6 code?

2) Can it be retrofitted?

3) If it is engine heater and not cabin one, does it make difference to cabine temperature?

This does not have anything to do with Webasto or auxiliary independent heater.

7E6,that's the one I was talking about.It's an additional air heater.Here is a text form a Volkswagen brochure:

Romanian:"Incalzire suplimentara (aer), electrica (incalzitor fata cabina soferului/ parbriz) 1,8 kW 7E6" - 129 Euro

English :"Suplimentary air heater ,electric (front part of the cabin heater) 1,8 kW 7E6" - 129 Euro

Other PR codes:

7VA - Air heater with Countdown timer 3,5kW - 1438 Euro

7VN - Coolant heater(for engine),programmable without remote control 5kW - 845 Euro

7VL - Coolant heater(for engine),programmable with remote control 5kW - 1078 Euro

9M5 - Engine heater(aux heater) 5kW - 562 Euro

Ditto. My urban run each morning is under 8 miles but takes 30 - 35 minutes. Is getting warm but not hitting 90.

Boy, am I glad of my hot seat & hot screen these days running at around zero ambient.

Has anyone tried a Kenlowe Hotstart? Am thinking of fitting one as I have mains socket outside. Heats the coolant so heat should come thru quickly.

Hi Guys,

I have had my 1.8TSI DSG combi since June and it is coming up to 6000 mls. One thing I have noticed recently is how long it takes to reach operating temperature on the guage. I drive off promptly from cold but it is about 3 mls before it reaches 90.

Is this normal for this engine?

Generally loving the car by the way.

Quite normal, be thankful you do not have a diesel that takes twice as long. Heated seats are the answer to feeling warm quickly which I have on my L&K and I am just about to order a Superb 1.8 TSI S but I will order heated seats on the long list of extra I order with it.

The only Skoda I have driven that heats up really quickly is the Fabia 1.2 HTP which is warm within half a mile, even the TSI Fabias seem to take about a mile.

Heated seats, not easy to retrofit I guess, definately a worth while option and especially with VAT offer on extras.

Edited by lol