How Long to Warm Up

hamro

Me also - 15 miles to normal operating temp today, really hurts fuel consumpton too !

Not been a Superb owner that long but now the cold is here I'm suprised how long it takes the car to warm up.

Was going to ask the question but now i've seen here its obviously 'the way they are' :wonder:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Octavia mpi mile and half its up to temp get hot air before that though just lovin this old engine !

ah but my 170CR is quicker even when driven under 2k rpm than the MPi I had to misfortune to have as a courtesy car, what a dog of an engine emoticon-0106-crying.gif (good on fuel tho')

The CR does take a long time to get up to full working temperature but at least the heater and heated seats kick in pretty quickly. :thumbup:

ah but my 170CR is quicker even when driven under 2k rpm than the MPi I had to misfortune to have as a courtesy car, what a dog of an engine emoticon-0106-crying.gif (good on fuel tho')

The CR does take a long time to get up to full working temperature but at least the heater and heated seats kick in pretty quickly. :thumbup:

Ah but my 1.8 TSI and VRS TSI are quicker than the 170CR and warm up twice as quick.

Still take the 1.2 HTP Fabia for the city hops as the engine and tyres warm up in a mile or so when and when I use to have a wiesel without heated seats use to have to wear the coat in the car and then stop five miles down the road when it was finally warmish, nightmare.

I've noticed my suberb takes ages to warm up, even the seats.

Much longer then the Bmer's I've previously had, I mentioned it on another thread but can someone test if there centre vents push our warm air. In mine warm air only comes out of the passenger and driver vents, when I pump up the speed on the fans air does come out but it's not exactly old.

When I leave it on auto nothing comes out at all.

Ah but my 1.8 TSI and VRS TSI are quicker than the 170CR and warm up twice as quick.

Personally for me, I will take the extra 8mpg, lower tax and insurance at the expense of 0.3 seconds 0-62mph and lower priced fuel thanks :thumbup:

Still take the 1.2 HTP Fabia for the city hops as the engine and tyres warm up in a mile or so when and when I use to have a wiesel without heated seats use to have to wear the coat in the car and then stop five miles down the road when it was finally warmish, nightmare.

Tyres warm in a mile? :giggle:

I NEVER wear a coat when driving and TBH have not found the need to in a petrol or diesel car. yes the leather is cold when you get in, but soon warms up with heated seats.

Sw1

I get warm air out of the centre vent (make sure you have pressed the centre vent button :thumbup: )

An offtopic thing but the biggest Finnish automobile magazine tested the automatic climate control (ACC) systems of the most popular car brands.

The most interesting thing was that Skoda Octavia Estate warmed up sooner than VW Golf even though one could expect they'd share the same ACC components :o

Personally for me, I will take the extra 8mpg, lower tax and insurance at the expense of 0.3 seconds 0-62mph and lower priced fuel thanks :thumbup:

Tyres warm in a mile? :giggle:

I NEVER wear a coat when driving and TBH have not found the need to in a petrol or diesel car. yes the leather is cold when you get in, but soon warms up with heated seats.

Sw1

I get warm air out of the centre vent (make sure you have pressed the centre vent button :thumbup: )

slide the car, it warm the tyres up quicker.

170 diesel/160hp TSI (DSG of course)

- 7 mpg better compared on Combined, 6 mpg better on Extra Urban

- Diesel is one group higher for company car tax and one group lower for road tax ie £25 pa

- Diesel is about 10p per litre more to buy ie about £5 more per fill up.

Do not like the slow warm up of the diesels I have had but liked the greater range as/but the Octavia and Superbs have annoyingly small fuel tanks compared to similar cars A4 etc.

Edited by lol

slide the car, it warm the tyres up quicker.

170 diesel/160hp TSI (DSG of course)

- 7 mpg better compared on Combined, 6 mpg better on Extra Urban

- Diesel is one group higher for company car tax and one group lower for road tax ie £25 pa

Do not like the slow warm up of the diesels I have had but liked the greater range as/but the Octavia and Superbs have annoyingly small fuel tanks compared to similar cars A4 etc.

As I started this thread, which appears to gone off in several directions, I clarify my point. I don't really have a problem with the cabin heating up it was just the thought of running on a cold engine which presumably wears more and uses more fuel. However the comments from Diesel Superb owners referring to 10/12 miles to warm up makes me glad I chose the petrol engine as I do a fair number of journeys under 10 miles. I wonder if you measured fuel economy from cold for the first 10 miles whether the petrol would come close to beating the diesel?

Not down here, the difference at the local Esso and Tesco is currently 3P per litre which makes it only slightly more to fill up. The diesel will also travel further this negating the small difference in price to fill up (down here that is).

As I started this thread, which appears to gone off in several directions, I clarify my point. I don't really have a problem with the cabin heating up it was just the thought of running on a cold engine which presumably wears more and uses more fuel. However the comments from Diesel Superb owners referring to 10/12 miles to warm up makes me glad I chose the petrol engine as I do a fair number of journeys under 10 miles. I wonder if you measured fuel economy from cold for the first 10 miles whether the petrol would come close to beating the diesel?

Hi!

This I have tried several times during this autumn (around zero degrees more or less...) and found that by engaging the Webasto heater AFTER startup it will help my engine to reach normal working temperature within half that distance, around 5 miles. I usually kill the heater half way up. When (if I might add) the temperature outdoors drops to freezing 20 or even 30 below zero the Webasto has to be used before startup. But we aren't there yet...

/Superbjoser

No worries about warm up times here in Oz.

Just glad I got the ivory leather and added much darker after-market tints on top of the factory "tints" to help keep the cabin temps down when parked in the sun. This hasn't worked all that well today though. Just checked the ambient temp in the shade at 30, tarmac at 46 and the Superb's seats at 55! Gotta get the garage tidied up so the cars can go inside. Meanwhile must remember not to wear shorts when sitting on 55 degree leather.

No worries about warm up times here in Oz.

Just glad I got the ivory leather and added much darker after-market tints on top of the factory "tints" to help keep the cabin temps down when parked in the sun. This hasn't worked all that well today though. Just checked the ambient temp in the shade at 30, tarmac at 46 and the Superb's seats at 55! Gotta get the garage tidied up so the cars can go inside. Meanwhile must remember not to wear shorts when sitting on 55 degree leather.

Wish we were there, today here where I live we are expecting a high of just 3c today although it will improve during the week we may have 9c on christmas day.

I wish my seats were 55C when I get in the car

No need for reproductive organs?

Unfortunately we have a bad weather here as well ~0°C, whereas should be -10 to -15°C and a lot of snow for Chrismas...

• 1 month later...

Seems like there is no point for me to switch on the climate control heater during future winters.

My journey every morning is only 15 minutes 3 miles. Better keep the minor heat with the engine to make it more efficient.

• 1 month later...

Hamro@ with the 1.8 TSI you need to consider 2 temperature levels.

Coolant temp that reach 900C after just 3-5 km and oil temp that lubricate the turbine and cool down the air intake need just more time. This initial level will let you run on torque range between 1500 - 3000 rpm. Second temperature is refering to oil, about 90 -950C and will enable you to run over 3000 rpm and is reached after 12-15 km in winter and 10-12 km in summer. This second level will give better lubrication to turbine that rotates to about 100. 000 rpm at full throtle.

Edited by safari hunter