Here to help!

LeeHarrison

Just a brief message to let all you Briskodians know that if you have any questions please do feel free to contact me.

I shall be posting more regularly (when the sponsor is complete) and look forward to helping in the future.

Kind regards,

Lee Harrison

Preston Motors

86-88 Woodgrange Road

Forest Gate

London

E7 0EW

Just a brief message to let all you Briskodians know that if you have any questions please do feel free to contact me.

I shall be posting more regularly (when the sponsor is complete) and look forward to helping in the future.

Kind regards,

Lee Harrison

Preston Motors

86-88 Woodgrange Road

Forest Gate

London

E7 0EW

A BIG welcome to you Lee, and all at preston Motors. :yes:

PS> Please send me your stockist of Octavia and Superb estates, as my brother is looking to swap from his Alfa Sportswagon estate.

Hi Lee, welcome & season's greetings.

I have one for you, concerning the Columbus satnav on my Yeti. Since it's first service in October this year my positioning on the screen has varied from being close to actual through to 5 to 20 miles out - until the last 4 days where I am positioned in Germany, around the Berlin area.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Bal, can I shall look in to this but need to clarify a couple of bits.

When you say positioning on the screen, I will guess that you mean where you actually are (close, right where you are or a good few miles away)?

Was the car serviced over here and then you have gone to Germany?

Have the last 4 days resulted in the Sat Nav being accurate again?

Regards,

Lee

I have one for you, concerning the Columbus satnav on my Yeti. Since it's first service in October this year my positioning on the screen has varied from being close to actual through to 5 to 20 miles out - until the last 4 days where I am positioned in Germany, around the Berlin area.

Hi Bal, during the service was a firmware upgrade done? It is a known issue on Columbus units which have been retrofitted and been upgraded that sometimes they will say you are in a town in Germany called Regensburg. It is known on here as Regensburg syndrome. A downgrade or change to a different variation of software usually helps.

Ian

Nice to here from a friendly Skoda dealer representative...taking the place of James Rothwell!!!(lol).

I am new to the Skoda (Yeti) mark and find the dealers so far a bit patchy in customer service and product knowledge skills.

Skoda UK Customer Service (run by an outsourced outfit??) also less than what is required in product knowledge (lots of mis-information).

Love the Yeti...had some minor warranty issues (paint,trim) which spoiled the experience.

Welcome to the forum.

My Columbus was factory fitted, but out is very slightly out at the moment, only by a few metres, but I have missed a few turns recently. I have the navigation sound turned off 95% of the time and just go by what is on the Columbus and on the maxidot. I'll only have the sound on if I'm going to a completely new area, whereas I know my way around South London quite well now, and ignore the instructions most of the time, as local knowledge will beat sat nav every time, but just need it normally for the last 0.5 mile or so, so never have the sound on.

After speaking to a couple of our technicians they have pretty much dittoed Countryboys 'regensburg syndrome' (although I don't think they called it that)!!

Without checking it would appeaer that the software does either need:

Change of software

Downgrade.

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more helpful but I think Countryboy covered it.

Good luck with the car and Nav

Lee

P.S. If I can be half as helpful as James @ Allams then I'll be happy (and hopefully all of you will be as well)!

Edited by Preston_Motors

Lee & All, Thanks for the info, that particular syndrome dosn't seem to apply. the Columbus was factory fitted, car supplied new from Preston Motors-I took delivery on 15 Dec last year. Preston Motors was the nearest (friendly) dealer when I first went looking at the Yeti (the only dealer in greater London that replied to my request for a test drive). However, Citygate, a VW dealer in Colindale, recently opened a Skoda dealership not a half mile from my home, so I booked in with them for the Yeti's first service. It is since then that the Global Positioning has run amock. It started by indicating my position to be in the Potters bar area (Hertfordshire) when I was actually leaving work in Deptford S E London).

By the time I arrived home, a journey of 17 miles, the satnav corrected itself & was there or thereabouts on track. This situation lasted for a month or so,then would not correct itself at all. As previosley stated,for nearly a week now my position is shown somewhere S E of Munchen in Germany, even though my journey to & from work remains the same. I am somewhat annoyed that an extra costing something short of £1500 has malfunctioned after less than a year! Apart from that, no compaints about the Yeti at all, it's all I hoped it would be & more. Is there an answer to this problem, or I am going to have to return to a dealer?

You did well to get it for "something short of £1500". I run two satnavs in my car all the time (don't ask; though i could explain) both hidden from view... Total cost £100. Indeed this is the only car I own where, wherever you put/hide the satnav(S), they work perfectly. In all my other cars they have to be mounted on a sloping window.

You did well to get it for "something short of £1500". I run two satnavs in my car all the time (don't ask; though i could explain) both hidden from view... Total cost £100. Indeed this is the only car I own where, wherever you put/hide the satnav(S), they work perfectly. In all my other cars they have to be mounted on a sloping window.

I will ask you Freedie - two at the same time?! I did use my old Navman for a week or two after getting he Yeti a) to use whilst aquainting myself with the Columbus & B) to check the mph against the car speedo readings. Unfortunately I gave it away thinking It would be of no further use (how wrong can you be) I would be interested to know why you use the two-please dont tell me one is for the wife/girlfriend/partner?

Hi Lee, I'm thinking of getting a set of winter wheels and tyres (16"). My local dealer's prices aren't great (list price for Skoda wheels and a lot for tyres). Is your dealership doing anything competitive?

Thanks for the enquiry,

At a guess, your dealership probably offered you winter tyres and wheels at £275 each.

This is the only 'offer' (well say offer, it is a bit eye watering) that Skoda are issuing to dealers.

We do also get our our tyres from a couple of other suppliers, but stocks are very sparce (I think that spellings correct).

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee, I'm thinking of getting a set of winter wheels and tyres (16"). My local dealer's prices aren't great (list price for Skoda wheels and a lot for tyres). Is your dealership doing anything competitive?

Hi,

picked up rims from a dealer earlier this year for £41.50 each, so might be worth ringing round local dealers.

Just spotted on my tyres 215/60 R16 Nokian WR D3 for £99 apiece My link. Fitting, again ring round, last time cost me less than £30.

TP

I will ask you Freedie - two at the same time?! I did use my old Navman for a week or two after getting he Yeti a) to use whilst aquainting myself with the Columbus & B) to check the mph against the car speedo readings. Unfortunately I gave it away thinking It would be of no further use (how wrong can you be) I would be interested to know why you use the two-please dont tell me one is for the wife/girlfriend/partner?

I have a Medion with TMC which plans the routes and avoids the jams (works out of sight in the front tray. I never look at it, just listen); but is useless for putting POIs on. I have a Garmin on which is my Pocketworld speed camera database (far superior and far more up to date than the Medion) which runs in map view only, so all I hear from that is the alerts which I need!

"I was just making good progress, officer".

One thing about having a vehicle with a private registration is that you tend not to use it for the girlfriend, as it might get back to the wife.

Thanks for the enquiry,

At a guess, your dealership probably offered you winter tyres and wheels at £275 each.

This is the only 'offer' (well say offer, it is a bit eye watering) that Skoda are issuing to dealers.

It was a bit less than that but still eye watering - thanks for the reply.

Hi,

picked up rims from a dealer earlier this year for £41.50 each, so might be worth ringing round local dealers.

Just spotted on my tyres 215/66 R16 Nokian WR D3 for £99 apiece My link. Fitting, again ring round, last time cost me less than £30.

TP

That £99 price looks good. Cheers.

T-7.

Hi Bal,

Apologies for being late with my reply. Glad that you are enjoying the Yeti and that you were happy with our service to you.

Admittedly we are not your local dealership and would have liked to have seen you again but do understand that Citygate was closer to you.

With response to the Sat Nav malfunction I would get it in to a dealership as soon as possible, explain what has happened and when it first came to light and they will rectify this for you.

All the best

Lee

Lee & All, Thanks for the info, that particular syndrome dosn't seem to apply. the Columbus was factory fitted, car supplied new from Preston Motors-I took delivery on 15 Dec last year. Preston Motors was the nearest (friendly) dealer when I first went looking at the Yeti (the only dealer in greater London that replied to my request for a test drive). However, Citygate, a VW dealer in Colindale, recently opened a Skoda dealership not a half mile from my home, so I booked in with them for the Yeti's first service. It is since then that the Global Positioning has run amock. It started by indicating my position to be in the Potters bar area (Hertfordshire) when I was actually leaving work in Deptford S E London).

By the time I arrived home, a journey of 17 miles, the satnav corrected itself & was there or thereabouts on track. This situation lasted for a month or so,then would not correct itself at all. As previosley stated,for nearly a week now my position is shown somewhere S E of Munchen in Germany, even though my journey to & from work remains the same. I am somewhat annoyed that an extra costing something short of £1500 has malfunctioned after less than a year! Apart from that, no compaints about the Yeti at all, it's all I hoped it would be & more. Is there an answer to this problem, or I am going to have to return to a dealer?

Hello Lee

It's good to have you here, and I hope you won't mind another question.

Our Yeti 1.8TSI Elegance has Xenon lights and I'm unimpressed with them. They are OK on dip, but on main beam they put a lot of light onto the nearside verge and up into the trees, but don't concentrate light on the distant road surface where it's needed. This would suggest they need adjusting, BUT my Xenon-equipped BMW does exactly the same thing. Unlike the Yeti, the BMW has adjustment screws, and after careful experiment with them I could not improve matters and put the adjusters back where they had been to start with.

So the question is: is it worth getting a Skoda dealer to try and set up the lights better, or is this 'blind spot' in the centre of the high-beam pattern a known problem with Xenons? The Yeti is under warranty, but I imagine a dealer would still charge, since it would be an 'adjustment'.

No doubt people will be along in a minute to say the Xenons are better than the halogen lamps. That may perhaps be true of the Yeti, but it is certainly not always true. My previous BMW (E39) had four halogen headlamps with main beams that far out-performed the Xenons on both the Yeti and my present Xenon-equipped BMW.

That would suggest that the dealer didn't set the lights up on the PDI. Take it back and complain; they shouldn't charge for it.

It's a 600-mile round trip to the dealer I bought it from (and saved over £3000 by doing so).

It's a 600-mile round trip to the dealer I bought it from (and saved over £3000 by doing so).

Then take it to another dealer!

You don't have to go to the place you bought it, the warranty is on the CAR not the garage.

I've just had warranty work done on mine at a garage much closer to me, and had no trouble getting it done (even though SUK were involved)

I bet your local MOT station would do it for a 6 pack of beer!

Then take it to another dealer!

You don't have to go to the place you bought it, the warranty is on the CAR not the garage.

But adjustments (or PDI checks) that should have been performed by a dealer are not warranty matters. If you know of a dealer that is happy to do work free of charge that another dealer was paid to do and didn't, please let me know who it is. I have been in exactly this situation in the past and been told politely to take it up with the supplying dealer.

In any case, contrary to your view, I think that the problem I have described is quite likely to be a design weakness and not a matter that can be fixed by adjustment. That is what I am asking about here.

I'm scratching my head a bit on this one, as I've mentioned in a couple of forums, I'm no tech god but will always try and find an answer/solution.

Fom my point of view I would believe that the reason for the beam to be projecting to the left would be so that is doesn't blind oncoming traffic, but this is only a guess.

I shall have a word with one of our technicians and see if they can throw any light on the suubject (no pun intended) and get back to you.

Thanks

Lee

Hello Lee

It's good to have you here, and I hope you won't mind another question.

Our Yeti 1.8TSI Elegance has Xenon lights and I'm unimpressed with them. They are OK on dip, but on main beam they put a lot of light onto the nearside verge and up into the trees, but don't concentrate light on the distant road surface where it's needed. This would suggest they need adjusting, BUT my Xenon-equipped BMW does exactly the same thing. Unlike the Yeti, the BMW has adjustment screws, and after careful experiment with them I could not improve matters and put the adjusters back where they had been to start with.

So the question is: is it worth getting a Skoda dealer to try and set up the lights better, or is this 'blind spot' in the centre of the high-beam pattern a known problem with Xenons? The Yeti is under warranty, but I imagine a dealer would still charge, since it would be an 'adjustment'.

No doubt people will be along in a minute to say the Xenons are better than the halogen lamps. That may perhaps be true of the Yeti, but it is certainly not always true. My previous BMW (E39) had four halogen headlamps with main beams that far out-performed the Xenons on both the Yeti and my present Xenon-equipped BMW.