Should I buy the Fabia 1.4 MPI (2011)?

RJV

I think you've got to think what will suit you best. It's not always about "will I have the diesel long enough to get my initial higher output back in fuel savings".

I would, personally, always be prepared to pay out more initially as we just prefer diesel's and find them much easier to drive and much more relaxing when going to the conitnent and on the motorway when the engine isn't screaming like in a little petrol.

Phil

Sorry guys yes the 1.6tdi and the 1.2 tsi might be more modern and ecomonical but if i was owning these cars for 7years plus then i would certainly prefer the MPI because cheaper parts, and far less complex which means maintainence cost will be lower.

I would take the MPI everyday

Interesting that Skoda seem to have re-introduced an older spec engine without any fanfare, NONE of the Autocar type mags seem to have mentioned it and why are they only available 'pre-registered'? Normally pre-registering is a sign that manufacturer has difficulty in selling that model but this one seems like a good deal.

I'd like to know which engine it is mine's a 'BTS' Fabia '57 reg 1600, is this the same type?

Have they re-introduced it because of problems with the TSi engine? Too complicated although good power & emissions?

Would prefer petrol to diesel ( new car )unless covering more than 15,000 miles per year.

Not factory fitted. The cars are in the process of being or just awaiting to be built. Retailer fitted options are available.

This offer is throughout the network but every retailer had to submit an order form, so you may find that some retailers will be supplying the cars and others not.

Yes- that's the same deal I've been offered. UPDATE: Went to test drive a 1.4 MPI this week, and to be honest I wasn't that keen. It didn't feel much different to my 1.2 Corsa I'm driving at the moment.. So although the price is very appealing, if I'm spending nearly 10k, I want to feel totally happy with what I'm buying.. I'm thinking about trying a 1.2 TSI, so waiting to see what deals they've got in the new year..

I've not been that taken with the 1.4 either. If I was on a budget and didn't do mega miles or lots of motorway driving, I'd be more than happy with the 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol -it's actually really nice to drive, and feels very light and 'nippy'.

I haven't driven any of the TSI engines so can't comment on those.

Yes- that's the same deal I've been offered. UPDATE: Went to test drive a 1.4 MPI this week, and to be honest I wasn't that keen. It didn't feel much different to my 1.2 Corsa I'm driving at the moment.. So although the price is very appealing, if I'm spending nearly 10k, I want to feel totally happy with what I'm buying.. I'm thinking about trying a 1.2 TSI, so waiting to see what deals they've got in the new year..

Presumably nearly £10k for you if you want dealer options, but as I understand it, the OTR price, no quibbling, is £8,995.

There'll be a lot of people, including myself, who are currently considering a new or nearly new car for, as Dickens described it, an "aged P". Thus far I've been looking at 6 month old Ford Fiesta 82bhp Zetecs with 5k mileage at around £9,995.

On the face of it (and like the recent Octavia 1.6 mpi offer), this Fabia offer looks like the deal of the century, but the deal-breaker is the old 1.4 mpi engine - is it really as gutless as posters are making out? MPG isn't the be all or end all (provided it does 30 - 40!) but does this engine have enough poke to survive the rough and tumble of A&B roads?

these engines are fine. it's a 9k city car.

the tsi engines will be cars that no one whats in 10yrs time becuase of the cost of repairing and maintaining them, whereas this will likely not go wrong and be cheap if it does.

if i could buy a fabia today but with my 75bhp 1.6mpi engine from my felly i would do it in a heartbeat, would i own a tsi/tsfi engine out of warranty??? NO.

I drove a 1.4 16v in 2009 back to back with a 1.2 HTP 70hp. I bought the HTP as I found it just as quick round town but more eager and characterful. The 1.4 was better when revved hard but joining a motorway, the HTP reached just over 70mph at the end of the slip road and the 1.4 80mph so not that much in it really.

I would say the 1.4 is alright but I didnt rate it at all, and it seemed to bog down a lot when pulling away and at low revs, how much can you get a 1.2 HTP SE for with discount... its a better bet IMHO.

would i own a tsi/tsfi engine out of warranty??? NO.

You would never own any turbo'd car then? They are hardly an advanced engine. The FSI has been out for 8 or 9 years now and is proven.....bolting a turbo on is about all they have done....

I drove a 1.4 16v in 2009 back to back with a 1.2 HTP 70hp. I bought the HTP as I found it just as quick round town but more eager and characterful. The 1.4 was better when revved hard but joining a motorway, the HTP reached just over 70mph at the end of the slip road and the 1.4 80mph so not that much in it really.

I would say the 1.4 is alright but I didnt rate it at all, and it seemed to bog down a lot when pulling away and at low revs, how much can you get a 1.2 HTP SE for with discount... its a better bet IMHO.

The 1.2 86PS SE is £11,970 minus VAT = £9,504.17 just over £500 more and the 69PS SE is £8,991.67 - VAT.

The 1.4MPI is now on the Skoda website at £8995 OTR

• 3 weeks later...

The 1.2 86PS SE is £11,970 minus VAT = £9,504.17 just over £500 more and the 69PS SE is £8,991.67 - VAT.

The 1.4MPI is now on the Skoda website at £8995 OTR

I think your subtraction is wrong £11970 minus Vat of £1900=£10070 that is why the 1.4 seems great value at over £1k of the 1.2tsi price ,if it was just £500 it would be a no brainer

Edited by kitchens

There is 3 options to consider on the new Fabia.

1) Fabia SE 1.4 (86)@ £8995

2) Fabia SE 1.2 HTP (69) @ £9557 or

3) Fabia SE 1.2 TSI (86) @ £10070

Glad you found this topic and hopefully has spread a bit of light on the various engines.

Lee

Interesting post, been looking at this one myself and thinking if its worth going for.

Comment about no-one wanting the TSi in 10 years time not too sure about that one myself, yes agreed that the 1.4mpi being a basic engine will be easier to maintain but in 10 years time, fuel and co2 level will be big factors, I just feel that maybe the 1.4mpi will be harder to sell years up the line.

I'm all for basic honest engines, its why I like older cars, but unsure if its the best for buying new?

• 1 month later...

I took a test drive the 1.4 mpi last week. Have ordered one in white. Bought a 1.6 mpi Octavia last year. No problems so far. Ran-in the engine for 1500 miles. Only worry is mayo on the oil filler cap, which I was not expecting. Its done about 5000 miles in one year. Apart from the mayo, no problems. Plenty of pull too after running in. Drove the Polo as well. They were offering a good deal as well, but found it too cramped for me. Also drove the new up! and the Hyundai i10. Have chosen to buy the 1.4 mpi SE out of the 4 models. Was disappointed by the space in the Polo, I must say. Only thing, the plastic surround around the AC controls, right in the top-middle of the dash is Very plastiky (maybe to differentiate it from VWs). The rest of the dash seems fine. I think they have done this deliberately to dumb it down a bit. Alex Laurie Skoda will let me know on Monday, when it will be delivered.