Continental SportContacts

jonny boy

They're not the best in the wet, especially when your pumping stage 1 power through them.

Im getting federal 595RS-R for mine. Was sorely tempted to order a set of the Goodyear eagle F1 Assymetric 2's. Pretty cheap and have topped a fair few tyre tests since their recent release.

Ill be increasing the size of tyre from 205/40R17 to 215/40R17 as well

The continental sport contact 2 got quite good grip in the wet when it got alot off pattern left.

As soon as you drop below 4 mm it drops in grip significantly!

I've tested some tires on the Fabia and I've liked the Federal 595RS-R most.

The Hankook Ventus RS2 comes in a 2:nd place (waaaaay behind the RS-R and pretty close to the SC2) due to them having bad grip in the rain (unless you've gotten some heat in them which is impossible in the rain).

I got an video here for you, it's from my Fabia while it's running stage 1+ (modded stage 1 software, 3" downpipe with 100 cell racekatalyst and modded intake).

The temperature is pretty hot outside, around 20 degrees celsius.

Enjoy!

Cincerly : your friendly violent viking.

Edited by Confide

They've got to be better than the Dunplop Sport Maxx that came with mine - they are :swear: - absolutely no confidence in them in the wet. My Lupo GTi was on Dunlops as well - shocking on wet / greasy surfaces. Dunlop should wear a :bandit: to charge what they do for these tyres (premium tyres my arse!).

I've heard alot off bad things about the Dunlop, but honestly : the sport-contact are a good tire for it's price.

It's mid-premium and it does it's job great for the money... just that the Federal out-perform then on the dry since it's a semi-slick tire.

An extremly soft compound aswell, if you roll it on tarmac it will suck up pebbles like mad :p.

Oh, I also like the pattern :

241122-2481108.jpg

If you need a awesome tyre for the wet you need a tyre designed for the wet

Uniroyal Rain Sports, the clue is in the name.

Awesome in the Dry, even better in the wet

Simples

Yip, had them on my MKI vRS - brilliant tyre - can get them for 80 quid a corner from my local fitter into the bargain.

All four Dunlops will be getting replaced in March / April.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had conti's and find them very good and lower noise, but the sideways grip is not as good as the dunlop sp sport or fast responses

Your having a laugh surely, Dunlops having more grip than conti's?

All of the MK2 VRS lads who got shafted with the dunlops from the factory have been having issues with them, the guys with the conti's have had nothing like the same traction or grip issues. The only place the dunlops realy work are tracks.

Your having a laugh surely, Dunlops having more grip than conti's?

All of the MK2 VRS lads who got shafted with the dunlops from the factory have been having issues with them, the guys with the conti's have had nothing like the same traction or grip issues. The only place the dunlops realy work are tracks.

it's just the side ways grip. other problem with conti i find is they wear too fast.

edit: bear in mind i'm only in a 1.2 htp

Edited by fabia55

The SportMaxx tyres aren't great to be honest, wet conditions don't favour them.

Are the UniRoyal Rainsport 2 tyres really that good? They are a midrange tyre, what's the benefit of going for that over say a premium brand apart from price? I do like the reviews just wondering about the brand bit.

Edited by VRS-Powered

I don't think i'll be going for contis or dunlops next due to the price...

some of the reviews say the trade off with the unro roual 2's is that they are noiseier?

I don't think that would bother me, just turn the stereo up :rofl:

Would there be any cons/issues to running 215s on the front and 205s on the back?

Edited by VRS-Powered

The SportMaxx tyres aren't great to be honest, wet conditions don't favour them.

Are the UniRoyal Rainsport 2 tyres really that good? They are a midrange tyre, what's the benefit of going for that over say a premium brand apart from price? I do like the reviews just wondering about the brand bit.

They are Awesome

Just my opinion though

Would there be any cons/issues to running 215s on the front and 205s on the back?

Legally you can do it...

Cons

You need to carry a can of Tyreweld or similar along with ur spare tyre..

I'm not sure if it would increase the risk of snap oversteer, which is ok on the track, a fookin nightmare on the roads??

Legally you can do it...

Cons

You need to carry a can of Tyreweld or similar along with ur spare tyre..

I'm not sure if it would increase the risk of snap oversteer, which is ok on the track, a fookin nightmare on the roads??

Just wasn't sure if it would make much difference at all to grip and being able to put the power down

Lots of vehicles have dissimilar sized tyres usually RWD tho for performance reasons..So yep ur going to get better grip etc with wider tyres, but personally I prefer to have the same amount of grip front/back on a FWD car (not withstanding weight considerations etc)