To VRS or not to VRS?

Evening everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Octavia CR Tdi VRS and was after a few bits of info to help me in my choice, replacing SEAT Toledo 1.9tdi. have been looking at SEAT Leon Exeo, Leon FR Tdi, Vauxhall Insignia VX-line Tdi.

MPG - What everyone realistically getting? I commute 33 miles each way on decent A-roads and am looking for 55mpg? About 15k a year roughly? Is this a realistic target?

Service intervals - Is it standard VAG 10k or different?

Tyres - have read a bit about saw-toothing and wondered if how badly this effects the wear?

Sat-Nav and bluetooth - Is it worth the money and how good is the bluetooth system?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Wingers

55mpg should be realistic providing you aren't pushing hard all of the time.

I average 53mpg on my older and (less efficient) PD diesel vRS. The newer CR engines are more fuel efficient.

You can choose to have the car set on fixed servicing (10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever you reach first) or variable servicing (the car monitors your driving style and the condition of the oil) Variable allows up to a maximum of around 25,000 mile intervals but most on here seem to average around 18,000 mile intervals.

Saw toothing wears the inside edge of the tyre so should be easy to spot, that and the unbearable droning!

Both the factory fit Sat Nav (Columbus) and Bluetooth get good comments on here.

We get any thing between 40 and 47 mpg average when we reset the computer on our DSG VRS Estate CR. Can average 50-55 mpg on a run if you treat it nice but then there is not any point in buying the car.

I saw 50+ once on my cr and averaged about 37. Diesel didn't stack up for me as I only do about 12k pa plus I was disappointed with the performance.

You need to do your sums as with only doing 15k pa, the higher price of diesel, the higher purchase price of the car and the economy achievable from the tsi you may find the tsi is actually more cost effective.

I've seen 60+ mpg on a run but my weekly average is 47, I do a 16 mile commute to work 5 days out of 7.

I've done just short of 10,000 miles in almost 12 months, why did I get a diesel rather than petrol I hear you ask, well it's because I much preferred the drive. It's horses for courses, personal choice and all that and I have not been disappointed.

servicing fixed or variable, mine is supposed to be on fixed but the dufus' at Simpsons put it on variable, anyhow it's going in for it's first service on it's anniversary at the beginning of Feb and will be set to fixed at that time.

Saw toothing, yes I have noticed a little bit but as it helps wear the tyres out and mine was unfortunate enough to be supplied wearing Conti's I'm not getting my alignment until I come to change them :giggle:

I don't have blue tooth but Columbus is a cracking system although it is very expensive.

Evening everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Octavia CR Tdi VRS and was after a few bits of info to help me in my choice, replacing SEAT Toledo 1.9tdi. have been looking at SEAT Leon Exeo, Leon FR Tdi, Vauxhall Insignia VX-line Tdi.

MPG - What everyone realistically getting? I commute 33 miles each way on decent A-roads and am looking for 55mpg? About 15k a year roughly? Is this a realistic target?

Tyres - have read a bit about saw-toothing and wondered if how badly this effects the wear?

Sat-Nav and bluetooth - Is it worth the money and how good is the bluetooth system?

Wingers

33 miles on A roads should easily see 55MPG. I have the DSG and see that figure all the time when driving on A Roads

Service Intervals - Variable - got 18.5k before 1st service

Tyres - No problem on mine - believe it was only the Dunlops that suffered this.

Sat Nav and Bluetooth - I would go for the bluetooth and then do what i did and buy the Columbus second hand for around 1/4 of the price of the factory fit. Plug and play too....

Also there are no injector issues with the CR, that affected the PD....Same goes for the DPF. Don't worry about going for a diesel basically as long as you get a CR (presume that you are going for a new one?!)

I saw 50+ once on my cr and averaged about 37. Diesel didn't stack up for me as I only do about 12k pa plus I was disappointed with the performance.

You need to do your sums as with only doing 15k pa, the higher price of diesel, the higher purchase price of the car and the economy achievable from the tsi you may find the tsi is actually more cost effective.

+1

At 15k miles a year, a petrol TSI could well work out cheaper, particularly with the widening gulf between petrol & diesel prices at the pump.

A petrol vRS is a fantastic drive too.

Might be worth doing the sums...... will also depend of course on what kind of drive you prefer, but the petrol is pretty torquey these days.

Good luck choosing. Either way, the vRS is a great car!

Why not go for a VRS petrol...? sure you don`t get as much MPG but no possible Flywheel, DPF or injector problems?

Have you heard/seen many CR's with injector or DPF problems? I haven't.

They both have dual mass flywheels so I think your being unduly harsh on the CR.

Hi

I did the same as your thinking and changed from Toledo tdi to Octy PD tdi VRS, i get 55 easily without driving like a Grandad , the ride is harsher than toledo but not too much , but the handling is far better so its worth it. re your thoughts on the Leon FR ,drive one first they are rock hard ,my son has one and the suspension was designed by a dentist to get more work i think

I have just changed from a seat toledo tri 130 to a vrs cr tdi dsg & no regrets so far other than only got average of about 46mph on a 30 mile run to work on dual carriageway but its only just turned 15k so i hope that's going to improve. no sign of droning or sawtoothing but mines running on pirelli's at the mo

Evening everyone,

Wingers

Hi

It would be possible to get 55mpg average consumption given the length of your commute but I wouldn't hold out for that, more realistically 48 to 50mpg.

Skoda claim the 10k service interval is for 'normal' users and the long life 20k service interval for high mileage users, so 15k miles per annum wouldn't fall in that category.

Saw toothing seems to have been one of the vRS headaches and can be expensive given subsequent tyre wear. I'm on my second CR vRS and have not had this problem. If you're concerned a quick trip to a good outfit to check and adjust the wheel alignment would cure any problem.

Can't comment on the Bluetooth but the SatNav is good, however not worth the money.

Regards

Skoda claim the 10k service interval is for 'normal' users and the long life 20k service interval for high mileage users, so 15k miles per annum wouldn't fall in that category.

VW say 12k plus and variable is fine, so 15k will be perfect for variable.

The differences and which suit which are on the VW website.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, much appreciated to hear the truth from actual owners rather the the same old dull patter from salesmen. some interesting thoughts ref petrol v diesel and which is cheaper based on my mileage, need to seriously work the figures out.

Thanks again

Wingers

Thanks everyone for your opinions, much appreciated to hear the truth from actual owners rather the the same old dull patter from salesmen. some interesting thoughts ref petrol v diesel and which is cheaper based on my mileage, need to seriously work the figures out.

Thanks again

Wingers

I have a 60 plate VRS TDI local mpg with quite a few short journeys sees 50 mpg no problem. Just turned 15k front tyres replaced at 13500 but handling tends to make you drive pretty hard in the corners. Amazing power and bags of room huge boot. Wouldnt worry about sat nav as an option tom toms come cheap and easily updated. Bluetooth prob a good option but full leather with heated seats is a real bonus. Mine is white and love it rear parking sensors really handy.

Hi

I did the same as your thinking and changed from Toledo tdi to Octy PD tdi VRS, i get 55 easily without driving like a Grandad , the ride is harsher than toledo but not too much , but the handling is far better so its worth it. re your thoughts on the Leon FR ,drive one first they are rock hard ,my son has one and the suspension was designed by a dentist to get more work i think

I came over from a 3 year old Leon to an Octy VRS CR in November and agree with your thoughts on the suspension...great fun but not refined. The VRS is so much smoother and dare I say it better quality in many respects.

Diesel will always work out cheaper.......50mpg vs 30mpg and the extra cost of buying the diesel in the first place will be returned at resale and also ease of sale.....don't forget cheaper tax also.

15k a year is fine for a diesel and variable (its a little less than what i am currently doing).

But only you can make the decision, do the maths and test drive both and see what you think.

I've had the VRs in both petrol versions and Diesel and Hatch and Combi and take my advice go for the Diesel if your doing 33 miles each way to work !!!

My current Candy White DSG Petrol Combi is an absolute hoot to drive but Im doing 31 miles each way to work and Im slamming at least £60 in the bugger and over the week I can only really average early 30's mpg !!

COming from a Superb 170 diesel Elegance which easily managed 56mpg (best was 62mpg) it has been a big shock and I now know why I have had diesel for the past 4 years !!!

If you know how to drive them 170 Diesels are as every bit as fun as a Petrol Vrs and they are definitley miles better by far for short burst over taking on A roads...awesome torque !!! hence my decision to go back to a 170 diesel Elegance Superb later in the year !! :oP.

Which ever one you choose youll be sure of top motoring in a skoda..

I've had the Columbus Satnav and bluetooth in a Superb Elegance and I can honestly say its the cats tits !!!

Bluetooth is awesome and if you havea smart phone you can use the bluetooth audio function and stream audion off your phone to the system.

Telephone interface on the system is excellent as well.

Sat Nav is a very good system as its the latest VAG sytem adopted by all the VW group companies even Bentley use it with their own spin on the interface.

The best thing on the Columbus system is that if your always waiting for the wife or the girlfriend outside Next while she takes "stuff" back then you can just pop in a DVD and let her do her thing while you watch a film !!!! AWESOME.

When in doubt vRS is better than not vRS.

Diesel makes a great deal of sense for your mileage (and mine). If I were always sensible I would choose a diesel.

Petrol has more grunt but probably not much in it for real world driving but it is a lot more open to remapping.

I get 35 mpg long term average and whilst am no boy racer I certainly don't hold anybody up.

I have diesel estate VRS with DSG. Its still not run in with only 6k on it. Nevertheless I'd expect over 50mpg given your 33 mile run.

I was hesitant to buy mine, having read about certain issues such as sawtoothing and the DPF. However, none of these matters have come to light.

As for performance.................well the diesel is, for me at least, plenty quick enough and you still don't get punished at the pumps!

Enjoy whatever you buy.

I have diesel estate VRS with DSG. Its still not run in with only 6k on it. Nevertheless I'd expect over 50mpg given your 33 mile run.

I was hesitant to buy mine, having read about certain issues such as sawtoothing and the DPF. However, none of these  matters have come to light.

As for performance.................well the diesel is, for me at least, plenty quick enough and you still don't get punished at the pumps!

Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

+1

At 15k miles a year, a petrol TSI could well work out cheaper, particularly with the widening gulf between petrol & diesel prices at the pump.

A petrol vRS is a fantastic drive too.

Might be worth doing the sums...... will also depend of course on what kind of drive you prefer, but the petrol is pretty torquey these days.

Good luck choosing. Either way, the vRS is a great car!

There is no way a petrol is going to be cheaper to run with that number of miles. When I last did the calculation (when the difference between petrol and diesel was 10p) you broke even around the 6k a year if looking at 3 year ownership. And that did not take into account the greater resale value. Diesel will always be cheaper at 15k miles. Whether the saving is enough to make a diesel worthwhile for you only you can tell. If you do not like how a diesel drives then it may not but if you are indifferent or like a diesel then it will.

Also not sure if it is still true but the bluetooth option used to only be available with DSG so if you do not go for DSG you may not be able to get the bluetooth factory speced. You could add it after but this is not that cheap.

Edited by PSM

My petrol VRS has bluetooth and rear parking sensors fitted by the dealer as the limited edition couldn't be specified with options. Bluetooth is awesome, and parking sensors are very useful given the rear spoiler.

I average ~32 mpg at the pump on my commute in traffic (11 miles), more like ~37 mpg on the motorway at 75. I'd got for the diesel with your mileage.