Cupra 345mm brake kit

i know it's been probably asked a million times just want to know a couple of things. As my disk ned replacing i'm thinking of going with this kit. I see Awesome do a complete kit for £858. Is this a good price or can they be got a lot cheaper? Secondly will they fit behind the 17" vRS wheels?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will fit behind 17'' wheels I believe but you can get them cheaper. Either eBay for R32, Cupra and S3 setup's or I had a price recently from Dave Hawthorne Seremotors on the Seat Cupra.Net site for the whole kit delivered for £660 which is a good price.

They will fit behind 17'' wheels I believe but you can get them cheaper. Either eBay for R32, Cupra and S3 setup's or I had a price recently from Dave Hawthorne Seremotors on the Seat Cupra.Net site for the whole kit delivered for £660 which is a good price.

What are they like on the DSG just out of interest? I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the brakes on mine but just feel sometimes it could do with a little extra.

What are they like on the DSG just out of interest? I'm not saying I'm unhappy with the brakes on mine but just feel sometimes it could do with a little extra.

What difference does DSG make?

R32 callipers, carriers and discs from a car that had done 6k miles aparently - pads hardly worn and no lip at all on the disc £250 delivered from the ebay

£10 for some hammerite red spray paint

brake lines - both the flexi and the hard lines on the back of the callipers due to one being bend in transit, disc shields, bolts for the shields and disc - £45 from VW

so just over £300 plus some brake fluid.

just got to find the time to fit them now

is there not something about changing a setting in VCDS to get the best from them ?

R32 callipers, carriers and discs from a car that had done 6k miles aparently - pads hardly worn and no lip at all on the disc £250 delivered from the ebay

£10 for some hammerite red spray paint

brake lines - both the flexi and the hard lines on the back of the callipers due to one being bend in transit, disc shields, bolts for the shields and disc - £45 from VW

so just over £300 plus some brake fluid.

just got to find the time to fit them now

is there not something about changing a setting in VCDS to get the best from them ?

Bargain, my S3 set up was fitted today (pictures to follow) mine came in at around that price including having the calipers blasted and powder coated. After fitment, sit back and enjoy, no VCDS adjustments required. :thumbup:

@ OP, keep your eye on the bay and the mk5golfgti forum, and bear in mind the R32,S3,Cupra,A3 3.2 Quattro and TT-S all have the same fronts. :thumbup:

Why add more weight? Are you using the car on track? If not your better investing in higher performance pads and a lighter rotor/hat system at oe 312 dia.

Do a search for rotor weights on the brembo site - probably looking at at least 4kg per side addition of rotating weight (therefore about 5x that in mass).... Light alloys make a big difference to feel - why add big lumps of iron behind them ;)

Because they look

thedogs.gif

Amen to that brother Brimma, got my S3 'big lumps of iron' brakes fitted yesterday and they DO look as above, well maybe with less hair. Comparing weight between them and the 312mm set up, I have added approximately 5kg of unsprung weight per corner. Based on the fact the marauder is used daily and never on the track and bearing in mind it will have an additional 60bhp over standard in a few weeks I think I can live with that extra weight! If it does cause a problem I will put swmbo on a diet........ :p

Amen to that brother Brimma, got my S3 'big lumps of iron' brakes fitted yesterday and they DO look as above, well maybe with less hair. Comparing weight between them and the 312mm set up, I have added approximately 5kg of unsprung weight per corner. Based on the fact the marauder is used daily and never on the track and bearing in mind it will have an additional 60bhp over standard in a few weeks I think I can live with that extra weight! If it does cause a problem I will put swmbo on a diet........ :p

Did it make the car feel different with steering etc or would you really notice anything? Well apart from the extra stopping power :giggle:

The car weighs 1400 odd, so makes no difference at all.

Adding "unsprung" weight is going to make more difference than just putting a 5kg weight in the boot for example.

I've looked at the options for brake upgrades, and I'm sure the R32/porsche items people have fitted are undoubtedly going to be an improvement in terms of stopping power for me, on the road, i've never felt the OE brakes lacking. Based on this, for me a brake upgrade would just be for vanity and as marcevo as said, it'll be adding unsprung weight that won't help the handling.

On a previous car I went from the OE alloys to some forged magnesium rims which were about 5kg per rim (IIRC) each lighter. You really did feel the benefit - more than i thought you would. On that same car i was doing track days, airfield days, vmax etc and the stock brakes were not up to the job, so on that car I had a set of big AP's fitted so I'm not against brake upgrades on principle, just that i've not felt the vRS needs it for road use.

02p etc.

have a look at the price for some 2 piece 312mm discs and youll see why? dont think anywhere really makes the hats so its a custom job

i saved around 2 kgs each side on the bora and there was next to no difference in steering saying that god knows how much weight was added by fitting the larger wheels

have a look at the price for some 2 piece 312mm discs and youll see why? dont think anywhere really makes the hats so its a custom job

That's bizarre - given the number of vehicle that have these brakes fitted I would have thought they would be lots of choice..

"Always better to have too much brakes when you don't need it, than too little when you do"

By god these r32/s3/cupra brakes work well :rofl: had mine fitted as I knew I was going to up the power, running a health 252bhp and 316Ib/ft of torque, these handle it nicely but can be a little sharp! need to get the rear's BIG'd up to 310mm to sort it out.

I've been out for a quick run and apart from the ridiculous improvement in stopping over standard you wouldn't know they were there. And when they look this good I couldn't care less if they weighed 100kg........:p

381436_10150520262116473_796276472_8598924_1627028389_n.jpg

Adding "unsprung" weight is going to make more difference than just putting a 5kg weight in the boot for example.

I've looked at the options for brake upgrades, and I'm sure the R32/porsche items people have fitted are undoubtedly going to be an improvement in terms of stopping power for me, on the road, i've never felt the OE brakes lacking. Based on this, for me a brake upgrade would just be for vanity and as marcevo as said, it'll be adding unsprung weight that won't help the handling.

On a previous car I went from the OE alloys to some forged magnesium rims which were about 5kg per rim (IIRC) each lighter. You really did feel the benefit - more than i thought you would. On that same car i was doing track days, airfield days, vmax etc and the stock brakes were not up to the job, so on that car I had a set of big AP's fitted so I'm not against brake upgrades on principle, just that i've not felt the vRS needs it for road use.

02p etc.

I understand the difference in weight, but a few extra kilos in a heavy car is going to be barely noticble. I certainly didn't notice the difference in mine on the road or track, other than they are much better with reduced fade. The positives certainly outweigh any negatives.

I'm sure if this "unsprung" weight was a problem VW wouldn't have fitted them to the R32/Cupra and the S3. Never hear any complaints from the owners of these cars about too heavy brakes?