The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

Ttrs/ rs3 lump? Love the sound of 5 pots :)

That's the plan Charlie, but it's finding one.

There was a 12 plate TT-RS DSG that went through Copart today with a bump on the front and a smashed quarter panel too, Cat D.

It made £23k + fees (more like £25k delivered) which is crazy money when the insurance payout on it was stated as £31k and the repair would have cost at least £4k.

Fixed up it would sell for £26k tops...

While I like the idea of DSG for raw speed I think I'd miss the fun of a manual.  Got to be having fun, rather than just going fast.

The RS3 are all DSG so it depends what comes up...

Beggars can't be choosers!

Preference is on the manual though I think, and the TT-RS was manual only for a year or two before the 7 speed S-Tronic was put in so those are cheaper anyway.

I've already found someone to build it for me too. :)

• Like 4

The guy who did my turbo conversion will be starting his project in the new year, it is a MK 2 Golf G60, it will be fitted with TT-RS engine, twin turbo, all wheel drive and this will run DSG too, apparently the gearbox in a Tiguan is the same as that in a high powered Audi.

I will ask him where all his bits and pieces have come from as I know he won't have paid big money for any of it.

DSG, You know it makes sense Richard, especially as you have a tendency to rip the gearstick out of the floor 

• Like 2

The guy who did my turbo conversion will be starting his project in the new year, it is a MK 2 Golf G60, it will be fitted with TT-RS engine, twin turbo, all wheel drive and this will run DSG too, apparently the gearbox in a Tiguan is the same as that in a high powered Audi.

I will ask him where all his bits and pieces have come from as I know he won't have paid big money for any of it.

DSG, You know it makes sense Richard, especially as you have a tendency to rip the gearstick out of the floor 

I'm sure he didn't pay much but when I asked you an engine alone was £12k IIRC.

So to hell with the cheap option I've decided to buy a whole donor car and do it properly.

I'm sure one of the TT girls would like to buy an RS interior and exterior panels to make their diesel look rather nice.

• Like 2

And why not  :p    

With all this modding of the Yeti I am going to have to look at a forged VR lump for the golf, I was not even close to catching you this year and you are upping the power again, I should probably stop trying to catch you as I have a family to provide for as well as a Golf to make go like hell!   BTW, I have bought another engine in anticipation of rods, pistons and more boost!   

The G60 project is looking for 850bhp and street legal. Ambitious.

• Like 1

The G60 project is looking for 850bhp and street legal. Ambitious.

Yes.

No matter what you do, there is always someone out there doing something better. :)

That's why I shall continue to build the Yeti for fun and shock value.

I could have bought a Radical for less than this'll cost.  But hey, it's a Yeti!

• Like 3

Yes.

No matter what you do, there is always someone out there doing something better. :)

That's why I shall continue to build the Yeti for fun and shock value.

I could have bought a Radical for less than this'll cost. But hey, it's a Yeti!

Apart from with a Yeti or Fantasy Green Fabias as I don't think anyone is crazy enough to yet,
  • Like 1

Apart from with a Yeti or Fantasy Green Fabias as I don't think anyone is crazy enough to yet,

When you are a GTROC member you regularly see people braking the 1,000bhp barrier like it's no big thing.

So you kind of get over big horsepower claims and just focus on enjoying yourself.

You can't be better than everyone and there are some talented/wealthy people out there.  So do what makes you happy. :)

There will always be people that did it cheaper or did it better.

• Like 3

When you are a GTROC member you regularly see people braking the 1,000bhp barrier like it's no big thing.

So you kind of get over big horsepower claims and just focus on enjoying yourself.

You can't be better than everyone and there are some talented/wealthy people out there. So do what makes you happy. :)

And as I see it as long as you're living within your means and you've got enough money you can't take it with you so you might as well spend it on something that's enjoyable and you find fun. I don't think you'd find it the same in a Radical compared to a Yeti so carry on I'm looking forward to seeing this at the Spring Action Day

Fantastic :) that will be brilliant. I was going to say it would be cheaper to buy a used/ new one than getting a copart one. That price is crazy.

I wouldn't mind the clocks surround from the tt. Looks pretty cool :D

(Circling vulture alert)

• Like 3

Fantastic :) that will be brilliant. I was going to say it would be cheaper to buy a used/ new one than getting a copart one. That price is crazy.

(Circling vulture alert)

I wouldn't mind the shell to fit a 1.2 HTP into ;)

(Circling vulture alert)

Nice to have a drivetrain designed for the power too.

While mine is OK, the clutch is a bit aggressive in first gear and it can slip if you give it the beans a little soon before you get your foot all the way off the clutch.

It's why I don't do racing starts. :D

The fact they make around 400-420 with an exhaust and remap is the way to go IMO, over an overly tuned two litre.

They were made to do that power without loads of modding and bolt ons.

Better power spread from earlier RPM too over slapping a big turbo on a 2.0.

• Like 3

For comparison.

APR big turbo conversion on a 2.0 4 pot with plenty of supporting mods.

TpfiN2.gif

APR 2.5 5 pot remap with exhaust, same fuel grade.

UcJINJ.png

Slightly lacking in peak power, but far earlier spool, far wider powerband and far more torque.

All while running far less over the power the stock engine was designed for.

• Like 4

Pity the graphs are not on the same scaled X-axis, as is now it is a bit misleading and does not show the advantages of the 2.5 lump clearly.

Day to day driving wide power band is important. For performance driving it is not really as you are suppose to keep the rpm in the optimum rev range at all times - you simply match the gear ratios to your engine performance curve and final drive to the track you are racing on, but that is for a dedicated, a little more serious track toy. I'd personally go for the 2.5 lump, more potential :)

You can't be better than everyone and there are some talented/wealthy people out there.  So do what makes you happy. :)

Exactly why I'm loving the Greenline project while others think it's bonkers :)

• Like 1

Ah awesome, cheers for the link to this thread, do enjoy reading the mad conversions-will have to come to the next track day as people from Meon meet did sell the whole track day thing well!

I honestly didn't realise they did a 5 pot TFSI engine, need to do more research.