First Service costs on Variable Servicing

£216 for service plus £55 (plus vat) for 2 year brake fluid change plus £10 for courtesy car.Or something like that.

They saw you coming. Ridiculous price for service and a ridiculous price for a pointless brake fluid change.

Just paid £302 for my first variable service today at DM Keith York.

Not what a newbie wants to hear but that's expensive as said above.

If you don't mind a Yorkshire haggle:

We will match any like-for-like written quote for service, maintenance and repair using VW genuine parts from any garage within a five mile radius. That’s fair.

http://www.dmkeith.com/skoda/servicing-bodyshop/customer-promise

Stick around here on Briskoda - you'll learn a lot about your car and how to save (and spend) money.

I was in DMK Leeds yesterday, they quoted £96 for the oil change :) but £204 for the first service??? Hmmm.

So did they justify the extra £108 by saying we kick the tyres , look underneath and plug in vcds :dull:

edit just looking at a flyer I got posted from them, service and mot £99 inc vat based on a Fabia 1.4 mpi including free health check. Then in red a checklist .

VW group -trained technitions

VW group computerised diagnostics

VW group approved original parts

Free courtesy car or

Free collection and delevery

Free car wash and air freshener

mot included

Free visual health check

most bulbs and wipers fitted free

convenient service appointments

Now this service includes a plug in and an mot, is this price simply to keep servicing within a main delear as they know nobobody will be paying the other prices after 3 years :yes:

So did they justify the extra £108 by saying we kick the tyres , look underneath and plug in vcds :dull:

edit just looking at a flyer I got posted from them, service and mot £99 inc vat based on a Fabia 1.4 mpi including free health check. Then in red a checklist .

VW group -trained technitions

VW group computerised diagnostics

VW group approved original parts

Free courtesy car or

Free collection and delevery

Free car wash and air freshener

mot included

Free visual health check

most bulbs and wipers fitted free

convenient service appointments

Now this service includes a plug in and an mot, is this price simply to keep servicing within a main delear as they know nobobody will be paying the other prices after 3 years :yes:

wow, MoT and a free visual health check! so the visual health check doesn't form part of the MoT then :S

UPDATE

Called in tonight on way home

The price is that because its a VRS..."Why should that make any difference?" I said

Its a bigger engine Sir.."The engine is identical to that a 1.9 TDi 140" I said

I'll go and ask for you Sir

Comes back 5 mins later

"The price of £204 is set by VW, not us. We have to charge that amount"

I then explained that a friend of mine had his serviced not long ago for £50 cheaper WITH a brake fluid change for £158.... and he couldnt explain that.

I said that I would ring back if I was cancelling the service ..if I got a better price elsewhere.

I rang Audi..They cannot service a Skoda because its different to an Audi..When I pointed out that the parts were the same he said that they couldnt reset the service on the computer because their resetting equipment was not compatable

I then rang JCT 600 (VW)...The girl was very helpful and quoted me an identical price but didnt know wether they could reset the service indicator either..She would ring me back tomorrow

So..Thats it for now

Any other suggestions?

Chris told me tonight it apparently had to be on variable service as his has a DSG box, anyone else been told this :wonder:

The thing is they seem to have got most people over a barrel, they say a first service is £100, and a variable £200 odd, but before you purchase they reckon if you do high mileage variable is cheaper. But it is not, you pay double and have it serviced once every 2 years, so the same then :dull:

ring simpsons at colne quoted me £178 inc vat for first service on my vrs

So DM Keiths lied to me

"The price of £204 is set by VW, not us. We have to charge that amount"

I'm realley peed off that Dealers can rip us off like this

All I want is value for my hard earned money!!

As Alan says..They have us over a barrel

Anyone know why the Octavia vRS CR DSG has to be on variable servicing?

So DM Keiths lied to me

I'm realley peed off that Dealers can rip us off like thie

All I want is value for my hard earned money!!

As Alan says..They have us over a barrel

Anyone know why the Octavia vRS CR DSG has to be on variable servicing?

It doesn't but why not have it on variable, it uses the same oil anyway due to the dpf.

I got a a bargain then at £120inc looking at some stupid prices being banded about on here.

Whats all this cack about DSG's having to be on variable servicing instead of fixed? Also as somebody has already pointed out the "special long life oil" is a load of cobblers - they have to use the same oil because of the DPF's (my agent Rivervale uses the low ESR Mobil 1) so somebody is having the proverbial giraffe here.

Whats all this cack about DSG's having to be on variable servicing instead of fixed? Also as somebody has already pointed out the "special long life oil" is a load of cobblers - they have to use the same oil because of the DPF's (my agent Rivervale uses the low ESR Mobil 1) so somebody is having the proverbial giraffe here.

Thats what my Dealer told me

Mind you they also told me the service was that price because the engine is bigger!!

It's pretty irrelevant on the engine size, a 1st variable service is only an oil and oil filter change (and as previously stated anything with a DPF has to use the same VW507.00 oil) and a quick visual check of the following items:

VisualHealthCheckammendeddetails.jpg

My first variable service was carried out within the Greater Manchester area. I wanted to keep the warranty so I went FSH at a main dealer.

During the time they had it I was rung up by the service manager and told the rear nearside tyre was below 3mm and she quoted over a hundred to replace it. I pointed out there was a brand new spare on an alloy in the boot which they might have noticed had they checked. :dull:

I didn't replace the tyre for another 12,000 miles and it was still above the tread wear indicators when I did.

When I got home I saw that the circular drip tray that fits under the oil cap missing. I returned and I was given a replacement. "Must have forgotten to put it back " I was told.

Total cost for a first variable service, pollen filter and brake fluid change, £244 (Novemeber 2009)

Two years later and out of warranty, I got Opie Oils to supply Fuchs and filters and had a go myself.

I found two of the rearmost machine screws holding the belly plate to the suspension sub frame were cross threaded. There's a days work drilling them out and taping the frame for Heli-coil inserts! :'(

Once I got the plate off I found the circular drip tray that had been lost on the first service - now I have two and someone in and around Manchester is driving a Skoda or SEAT without theirs.

I bled the brakes and in addition, the clutch slave cyclinder - massive ammounts of air in there!

I used a £50 handheld device to check the DTCs and reset the Service Interval light.

Total cost for an second variable inspection service, with VAG approved oil, OEM quality air, fuel and pollen filters, plus clutch and brake fluid change, £92.36.

But, I hear you say, what about the safety checks and whatnot? Well straight after the service I took it for an Irish MOT. It's known here as an NCT. I watched them from the observation lounge as they checked emmissions, lights, brakes, suspension and underbody. Result? "Spot on" said the inspector.

Since the NCT is mandatory, I regard it as a free inspection that I have no need to pay for again at a dealer's.

Going by the fixed price deals I see advertised on Volkswagen's website, it must be possible to save over £200 if you go DIY.

I do see the attraction of having a Full Service History but I don't see the value of the poor quality workmanship. On balance, I think I will do my own and revert to fixed intervals (change in driving habits and increased towing).

You mileage may vary :rofl:

UPDATE:

Well..It went in today..I asked for a full breakdown of costs before I left it with them

They told me it was £26 for a pollen filter..I qustioned that..but he gave me aprice of a smidgin over £178...Bit cheaper than the £206 they originally quoted me

Strangely..When I got the invoice..The price was correct..as they quoted..BUT the Pollen filter was £8.75

Here is the Invoice:

Carried out first Variable Service 75.00

Oil Filter 5.75

Pollen Filter 8.75

Environmental Disposal Charge 2.50

Screen Wash 3.08

Alloy Sump Plug 1.41

5 Litres of Long Life Oil 52.30

Total goods: 148.79

Total VAT 29.76

Invoice Total £178.55

Just for reference I recently had 80,000 service with new oil (Longlife) air filter, oil filter, pollen filter, spark plugs and new diverter valve for just over £300 and that was by a well respected independant. Shows just how 'over a barrel' the dealers have you really.

And if truth be told, you're probably all doing it for the Skoda stamp. I know that I have done in the past.

Here is the Invoice:

Carried out first Variable Service 75.00

Oil Filter 5.75

Pollen Filter 8.75

Environmental Disposal Charge 2.50

Screen Wash 3.08

Alloy Sump Plug 1.41

5 Litres of Long Life Oil 52.30

Total goods: 148.79

Total VAT 29.76

Invoice Total £178.55

So that confirms it then, a 'variable' service is no different to a 'fixed' service, at least in terms of parts.

I'll say it again, my local Skoda dealer offers a 'fixed' service (including long-life oil) for £129.99.

Or, buy Skoda's 2 year service plan for £299 with two free MOT's, deduct the cost of the MOT's and you'll be paying just over £100 for the same service as others have been paying well over £200 for :o

Just for reference I recently had 80,000 service with new oil (Longlife) air filter, oil filter, pollen filter, spark plugs and new diverter valve for just over £300 and that was by a well respected independant. Shows just how 'over a barrel' the dealers have you really.

And if truth be told, you're probably all doing it for the Skoda stamp. I know that I have done in the past.

:o , how much are four spark plugs, diverter valve and air filter? More than £200 I hope or it was you being bent over a barrel!

See my previous post, I can get longlife oil, oil filter, sump plug and pollen filter for £110 AND a Skoda stamp.

See my previous post, I can get longlife oil, oil filter, sump plug and pollen filter for £110 AND a Skoda stamp.

Me too (longlife oil). £110 exactly from main dealer for 1st variable service. Had to travel 50 miles but had a nice day out in Lincoln :)

Was also told January is the best time to get a bargain service, they are always quieter and more open to discounts.