Octavia 3 Platform announced

Very interesting points. There are a lot of politics in car companies and V.A.G are the same as many , there is usally a hieracy , with VAG it's Bugatti,Bently,Lamborgini,Audi,Volkswagen,with Skoda and Seat together in roughly that order. So as a rule of thumb similar models in the same range for example volkswagen , skoda and seat ...outright performance will go in that order. Due to subtle things like software programing for ecus, gearing , and suspension set ups, traction control. It's quite easy to have a heiracy of performance when you control all the cards. It's the same reason while you will never see for example a 3 door seat leon cupra r. Just politics and money.

This new platform seems very interesting and a lot more thoughful than fords global platform. The extra wheelbase and shorter overhangs should really improve basic handling. Lets just hope they look good. B)

Think you're wrong about the Skoda - Seat order. Seat Leon gets the uprated Golf 6 GTI engine and the Golf/Scirocco R engine, Skoda doesn't.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when in 2013 would we expect to see this?

I will be buying a new vrs in 2013 but would prefer the option of a new model over old.

I've the same dilemma. PCP up for renewal in Jan next year - love Octavia but would not want to buy a car about to be replaced.

Perhaps will have to change to a Superb or Yeti.

Makes me laugh when manufactures say big weight saving.... 60kg.... Hardly trying in the scheme of things? Lighter seats and a smaller battery and your nearly there - hardly radical

Think you're wrong about the Skoda - Seat order. Seat Leon gets the uprated Golf 6 GTI engine and the Golf/Scirocco R engine, Skoda doesn't.

We have the 6 GTI engine too! although not the R engine.

I'm seriously interested in the MK3 as a replacement for mine current one. I really hope the new VRS retains it's sporty look and doesn't go down the dull road the VWs seem to be heading. From the pics of the MK3 that I've seen it doesn't look good, in a new look Passat kinda way :S

TBH I can see 250bhp + as this is the new benchmark for the next gen hot hatches. They've got over the 200bhp hurdle with LSDs (mechanical or otherwise) & torque vectoring. The new Astra VRS is 250bhp, as is the new Focus ST. No official word on the CTR but 250bhp seems to be the old 200bhp (with the exception of the new Toyota/Sub coupe but that's a different design principle). Skoda have yet to do their version of the 'R' that VW & SEAT offer, maybe the 270bhp will the the VRS 'R', with 230-250 reserved for the VRS?

maybe the 270bhp will the the VRS 'R', with 230-250 reserved for the VRS?

I would love to think thats gonna happen, however realistically the gains are likely to be similar to the increase when we went from the mk1 to mk2 Octavia vRS

I'll put my money on it being ~220bhp.

I'll sign up for a mk3 or the smaller rapid after a drive. Hopefully there will be some nice deals to start them rolling out the factory......

Rapid vRS would be interesting emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Before choosing the octavia , i had a test drive of both MK5 Golf and Seat Leon FR ...The Golf had the best of everything , but at a cost. what really won me about the Octavia was the interior. It's quite close to the Golf and to me a lot better than the overtly plastic Leon.

As has been said the recent styling of the Polo,Golf and Passat are not as nice as their older versions. It's really hard to tell a Polo Gti from Golf Gti at a distance ...and the angular styling of the current Passat leaves a lot to be desired. It's lost a lot of it's individualality. Lets hope they don't mess up the styling of next gen of golf platform cars. The spy shots of the golf, the skoda rapid and octavia don't inspire much confidence. They are starting to look very Japanese in styling and not the LFA/GTR type more the boring looking stuff they have been known to produce.

Secretly to me one of Volkswagens better recent efforts is the Passat CC , really love that look , we need a Skoda along those kind of lines IMO.

I still seriously doubt it will ever happen.

It would need 4WD for my money as mine struggles with putting down ~255bhp. Before someone says diff, whilst I am sure that helps it isn't going to be as good as 4WD.

Totally agree. That's why I'm chopping in the VRS for the 3.0T S4. 4WD is infinitely better than the VRS at stage 1. If the VRS was 270 and 4WD then this is going to a great car but I have my doubts as to if it will be.

Totally agree. That's why I'm chopping in the VRS for the 3.0T S4. 4WD is infinitely better than the VRS at stage 1. If the VRS was 270 and 4WD then this is going to a great car but I have my doubts as to if it will be.

S4 is where my money will go next too I think but will wait 12 months and see what's around then.

S4 is where my money will go next too I think but will wait 12 months and see what's around then.

They can be remapped by revo to get RS4 power as well. Shame about the octy as its such a good price. If one does come with 270bhp and 4WD then this will be extremely tempting.

All this talk or 4wd but it shares the Golf/Leon platform. There isn't a 4WD GTI so I can't understand what makes people think there will be a 4WD VRS? If there were, chances are that everyone here saying they'd buy one wouldn't do so due to price as it would be pretty expensive.

The VRS wins for me because of it's boot - can anyone think of another car that offers the same package? All other hatch boots are tiny by comparison.

S4/RS4 - nice cars but they come with horrendous running costs and repair bills once out of warranty. 4 figure repair beills are not uncommon on these :o

All this talk or 4wd but it shares the Golf/Leon platform. There isn't a 4WD GTI so I can't understand what makes people think there will be a 4WD VRS?

Well there is, it's called the Golf R. That's why the vRS is unlikely to come with that sort of power; it will always be the same, or slightly less than the GTi. I agree that the vRS is also unlikely to be 4WD though.

Vw will not let that happen. It would kill the GTI sales.

I agree.

4WD is not the be all and end all for performance. Most smaller VW's use the haldex system , which is mainly front wheel drive, until those wheels start to slip. My Good friend with his Audi S3 ( original ) ,says that it does not feel like a full 4WD. Having had a 90 Quattro in my past, i have found that most 4wd offers massive grip , but you loose a lot of the feeling and excitement. Thing is VW ( Skoda ) have always had good front wheel drive chassis ( erm ! forgetting the mk3 and mk4 platfoms), I'm from a diet of golf mk2 and corrado's ...and despite to lack of power of they had , they were fun to drive.

The Audi S4 will be a deep car to drive, but i bet you will miss finite handling that a front wheel drive chassis can give. My last car was a 4WD Jaguar x type 3.0 sport, i had loads of grip but even with Arden springs , it ran out of talent , and with the extra weight of the 4WD system , killed the edge of the performance from the engine , bearing in mind this car was based of the excellent mondeo ( yeah i know ford )floor pan, light weight alloy engine and even a carbonfibre drive shaft. Don't get me wrong it was nice to drive , but i could not carry speed through corners like the octavia vrs can. The jag will out grip the VRs and if you have no mechanical symphony can launch like a scolded cat ( only a few time before it kills the transfer box), but must admit i'm having loads of fun in a modestly powered ( for now :wait: ) fwd car.

Personally i think 4wd will kill the personality of the Octavia VRS, if i want a 4wd VW based car , i would get an Audi. Now with vw's power limiting ecu programing ( usually first gear ) and the stiffness of the recent floor pans , traction control , and all the technical updates in suspension systems and tyre technology ...270 bhp fwd Octavia VRS sounds like a it would be a hoot to drive :p

Many interesting points above. I drove an S5 and understand what you mean. However I plan to remap the S4 to around 380-400 so hopefully that should be bloody exciting. I will miss the turbo though. I just don't feel hugely confident in the corners with the 250-260 I have in my VRS, also lose traction which just feels awful.

I hope I don't regret it as its not going to be a cheap car. Il be gutted if I buy the S4 and an upgraded VRS comes out just after.

• 8 months later...

I am saving up for a new Octavia - however given that it is to grow in size and weight (are they looking to move up a segment with it?) I may look into the Rapid when that comes out (estate hopefully!).