Octavia vRS - just a boring sensible family car...

Er...nope!

Been driving my 07 petrol Combi for a couple of months now and done mainly short trips to work and a long one to the UK at Crimbo. Drove very well, in all cases, very easy to drive with loads of torque on tap and great seats. Not a bad stereo either.

Just took it for a lunchtime spin down some twisty country lanes not far from work, and was laughing my rear off all the way. It's a heavy car, but doesn"t feel it once you are pressing on a bit, great brakes, lots of power, lots of grip.

This is of course nothing new to anyone here who already has one or has driven one, but in case there are some new members still to take the plunge and are worried it will not be a fun drive after they have upsized from something small and nippy...do not worry, it is a great car. Go for a diesel and it is even good on juice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to convince my brother to buy one but says it's too big and insurance is still a bit much for him atm.

Well as you probably know it is the same chassis as the 2004-on Golf, so not a huge car, but plenty of room in size. The boot on the back end adds some length, but to be honest I came from a MINI and there was not that much adjustment time for parking (little more for squeezing through gaps without clenching everything).

if he does not need the space then maybe a Golf or even a Polo/Fabia would suit him as well. Depends if he is by himself in the car most of the time, and whether he likes a car that can go quite quickly or not. Some folks are not fussed and just want something to look good and drive OK.

I guess I am lucky that insurance for semi-sensible family guy like me is OK at last.

Shhh don't tell everyone.

I quite like the VRS being a bit of a sleeper despite the bright blue paint an rear wing.

Shhh don't tell everyone.

I quite like the VRS being a bit of a sleeper despite the bright blue paint an rear wing.

Haha! Yep that kind of gives it away if you don't recognise the subtle little grille badge as well. No wing on the Combi, so even more sleepy. Although in black my mother in law said it looked like a hearse!

She is invited to ride in the back of the car next time she says that...seats folded flat :)

I love my VRS - only have it four days but sure the feeling will carry on. Touch wood reliability is fine, but think it's perfect for our 'little one' coming along in August. Needed a bigger car from a Fiesta ST, but still wanted some pace, fitted the bill perfectly and better!

Congrats on the new arrivals, both now and in August, best wishes in both cases.

Biggest challenge with little cars and kids is finding a buggy that doesn't reduce boot space to zero. In theory you will have no problem at all, but I think it is a law of the universe that if you have space you will no doubt fill it with "stuff".

It's a heavy car, but doesn"t feel it once you are pressing on a bit, great brakes, lots of power, lots of grip.

Don't think it is a particularly heavy car, lighter than an Audi S3. The FL also lost a bit of weight too.

Congrats on the new arrivals, both now and in August, best wishes in both cases.

Biggest challenge with little cars and kids is finding a buggy that doesn't reduce boot space to zero. In theory you will have no problem at all, but I think it is a law of the universe that if you have space you will no doubt fill it with "stuff".

Thats why I bought an estate. The buggy we got filled the boot of the Fabia, and that was with removing the front wheel. The Octavia swallows it whole and theres still room for all our bits for a weekend away.

spare wheel? I only seem to have big polystyrene grey thing with a couple of screwdriver things (haven't looked properley but that's what I saw when popping the boot upon purchase on sunday)

The spare was an option only on the FL cars - mine didn't have one either. I now carry a skinny space saver out of a golf gti - gets you home but doesn't weigh as much as the "full size" 16" are you'd get if you ticked the £75 quid option. Best of both worlds?

brakes.........OMHO they are find for road use even if on a briskie run. Had a few track days on them now and I've never though oh gosh the brakes are fading. If however I was going to add power then I would think about uping the brakes.

As a package, and like many of skoda's car its very hard to beat :thumbup:

Family car.....nope, I'm a single, childless (or do I mean childish?) bloke very happy with his combi.

This has got me thinking, it is a great family car but it's been a long time since I've taken mine out on some nice country roads and thrown it round the corners. We've got two young children and it handles everything you throw at it or in it. There really isn't anything else out there to touch it for the combination of performance, practicality and value for money hence why I'm on my third vRS.

Perhaps this weekend I'll take a little drive out on my own somewhere nice :-D This thread really got me thinking plus my wife mentioned she'd driven some roads I'd of liked today around Rothbury so that also got me thinking.

Mine resting after a 'spirited drive' around the lanes whilst the wife and kids were at a party. Perfect B)

DSCF6550.jpg

Haha sounds like a..."Honey, I'm just off to get some more party hats...back in a bit...screech!!"

Any excuse to bugger off for a burn in the car eh?

Haha! Yep that kind of gives it away if you don't recognise the subtle little grille badge as well. No wing on the Combi, so even more sleepy. Although in black my mother in law said it looked like a hearse!

She is invited to ride in the back of the car next time she says that...seats folded flat :)

Ha ha ha. Made me laugh that one!! 😄

Keep to yourself though! ðŸ˜

Just took it for a lunchtime spin down some twisty country lanes not far from work, and was laughing my rear off all the way. It's a heavy car, but doesn"t feel it once you are pressing on a bit, great brakes, lots of power, lots of grip.

Go for a diesel and it is even good on juice.

Where are these twisty lanes :giggle:

Yeah Diesel is good on juice 50 odd mpg :thumbup:

Mine resting after a 'spirited drive' around the lanes whilst the wife and kids were at a party. Perfect B)

DSCF6550.jpg

That car is sitting nice.. How much did you drop it?

It's fitted with Eibach Pro Kit springs, so about 20mm. For the price I think it's just about perfect.

so would they have been -50 or something as the vRS is already down -20/30mm ?

Or are they specific -20 for the vRS?

They would be about 35mm on a non vRS but the vRS is already 14mm lower

Good stuff Thanks for that,

Do you find it stiffend up the ride or make it a bit more uncomfortable in any way?

Edited by vectra1

Great brakes are you having a laugh!

They need up rating IMO

Golly If you are overheating your brakes, you must be using them too much...is that it?

Just messing, they are not race brakes, and probably would start to fade after a few big stops or maybe on track if you are leaning on them, but I think so far they are dead on for road driving. They bite with no dead travel and are easy to modulate without either giving yourself a windscreen headache or an excessive puckering of the seat fabric.

Pushing past standard power it might be good to run something a little meatier to counteract the extra speed (up to and no further than the national limit in your respective country and taking into account variations in your local authorities mandated speed limits), but I wouldn't jump straight into a big brake kit yet, unless it was for looks.

Glad some of you guys are still driving for fun, it's too easy to lose the will to live in traffic and on motorways. Back roads rule!