VW and Adblue = Arrrgggggghhhh!

gadgetman

That would make sense, there would then be enough for 10K miles, so enough to last you until each service ..... unless it's on variable servicing :giggle:

Of course due to not many cars using it yet, how many dealers will know to top it up :dull:

I think you would need to ask them to top it up as it's not a normal service item with it being a consumable.

There is also a special nozzle/filler required apparantly. Whether this is just a gizmo that prevents spillage I don't know.

I'd definitely go down the route of topping it up myself!

Just wait for Euro VI to come in. More and more cars will be using it!

Phil

AdBlue is not pig/sheep or anything close to it! I worked with it quite a bit a few years back when these systems were being developed.

Its all part of a process called SCR (selective catalytic reduction). It uses ammonia to reduce the NOx levels in the exhaust gas.

Well it is actually urea which then produces ammonia when it reacts with water. I would imagine it is used as it is a lot easier to deal with than ammonia would be (you really wouldn't want an ammonia tank in a car that leaked).

Well it is actually urea which then produces ammonia when it reacts with water. I would imagine it is used as it is a lot easier to deal with than ammonia would be (you really wouldn't want an ammonia tank in a car that leaked).

Yes, the point i was making was this stuff is not made from wee as some people thought when it first appeared. It does make your skin go funny though, i remember trying to purge through a urea pump in development and getting covered in it. :(

AdBlue is not pig/sheep or anything close to it! I worked with it quite a bit a few years back when these systems were being developed.

Its all part of a process called SCR (selective catalytic reduction). It uses ammonia to reduce the NOx levels in the exhaust gas.

AdBlue is simply made from urea and water.

What is one thing that contains urea??

Yes, the point i was making was this stuff is not made from wee as some people thought when it first appeared. It does make your skin go funny though, i remember trying to purge through a urea pump in development and getting covered in it. :(

On a industrial scale it is made from ammonia, just be glad you didn't covered in that.

I once got covered in hydraulic fluid which was supposed to be non toxic and made from fish oil - it made my hi vis jacket turn green and it smelled quite bad.

AdBlue is simply made from urea and water.

What is one thing that contains urea??

Are you taking the urea?

I seem to remember that some Merc cars have Adblue aswell.

As has already been said, i can go about 3-4 weeks without filling the tank on my truck, and then we have both adblue and diesel pumps next to each other at work, so normally do both together.

If anyone can tell me a VW part number for the sealing nozzle to fit the 10l container, or somewhere else that does which will fit the tank opening, I'm all ears.

I'm told you shouldn't overfill, and using a funnel risks emptying it all over the car interior. Don't fancy dissolving the rear seats!

This is genuinely the first time I have heard about cars running with adblue.

We have IBCs full of the stuff at work, with a fleet of 2500+ HGVs. As others have said it is used widely in the HGV sector where emissions must comply with the Euro standard - currently upto 5, with 6 coming soon.

As already discussed above, the Adblue is used as part of the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system and this solution consists of the reprocessing of exhaust gases with a urea resin (AdBlue). This intake of urea into the exhaust system permits the conversion of approximately 85% of the nitrogen oxide into water vapour and harmless nitrogen. The AdBlue is stored in a special tank added onto the vehicle’s fuel tank. The secondary method of adhering to Euro standards is EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). EGR is based on cooling part of the exhaust gas before reintroducing it into the engine with the intake air in order to obtain a lower combustion temperature. Alot of operators have leaned towards EGR as it doesn't involve storing Adblue, filling it, additional tank on the chassis etc, although with the increasing availability of Adblue, SCR engines are becoming popular.

There are some details HERE on VW's system

• 2 years later...

So I learned today the work's Sharan has adblue. I had no idea what it was until I got an error message.

Driving along get a brief message about adblue error, range 22000miles. Then 650miles! Looking in the book the car uses adblue, and if you drop below 600miles remaining distance you run the risk of not being able to restart the engine, even by jumpstarting, which on a bluemotion is fantastic!

So went to VW and grabbed 2 bottles. The only 2 bottles they had. But you need 6 (10 litres) to reset the system and stop it shutting the engine down.

Car's sat on the drive screaming errors about adblue low, and with a spanner symbol and the EML light on. I have to try and limp to a VW garage hoping they have some!

I now also have a new option in the MFD showing the range left of the adblue which never existed until the error message today. Seriously this is dangerous as you could get stranded very easily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do VAG have to mess with stuff. I'm starting to miss my old work's Mondeo emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

I know it's a thread resurection, but if still you have the bottles you used?

If so you can cut the bottom of the bottle off and use it as a funnel to the special connector.

Then go to a local garage near a lorry route and pick up a big bottle 10L+ of adblue and just pour it in.

If you measure out the amount you have to put in to top up, less what you've already added, you won't be overfilling it, as you said it needs 10L minimum to reset it.

It's a lot cheaper than the VW stuff too ;)

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Does the 1.6 tdi require adblue ?

No, at least not the 1.6CR CAYB/CAYC and later, just sometimes it requires a new engine block every 16k miles :p

By the way, the DPF fluids used on most VW cars in Europe are more similar to Peugeot/Renault fluids, i.e. the thick stuff rather than adblue. US versions of VW cars carried AdBlue equipped DPFs, at least for a while a few years back. Hence a lot of confusion arose over which fluid for which car/engine.

Interesting read:

The bosses son has a Q5 and he has to put Ad blue in, I had to read the contents twice as I couldn't believe it was urea. I could not understand how that would improve economy, always learning :)

JRJG

...By the way, the DPF fluids used on most VW cars in Europe are more similar to Peugeot/Renault fluids, i.e. the thick stuff rather than adblue. US versions of VW cars carried AdBlue equipped DPFs, at least for a while a few years back. Hence a lot of confusion arose over which fluid for which car/engine...

+1

see post #18

Interesting read:

The bosses son has a Q5 and he has to put Ad blue in, I had to read the contents twice as I couldn't believe it was urea. I could not understand how that would improve economy, always learning :)

JRJG

No effect on fuel economy as far as I understand it. Just a big reduction in nasty nitrogen oxide emissions.

Anyone answering my friggin question ? So I thinks no as the bigger engines have ad blue and smaller engines use the dpf system ?

AD blue breaks down NOx which is above and beyond what a dpf can do. I know some VAG engines have an additional CAT to do this before the DPF. Euro 6 halves the NOx emissions compared to Euro 5, so we may see AD blue systems but I think VAG would prefer to do it with another CAT.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

All the New Holland Tractors and Combine we have on the Farm all use AdBlue now. Very strange seeing no black smoke coming out of the exhaust when giving it some stick in field work or dragging a heavy trailer up a hill. Heard some New Holland guff when they first started using it that it would take 200 AdBlue tractors to pump out the same emissions as one of the older non AdBlue tractors did.  :D

Anyone answering my friggin question ? So I thinks no as the bigger engines have ad blue and smaller engines use the dpf system ?

It's been answered. The two systems are unrelated. DPFs reduce particulate output, AdBlue reduces NOx. Skoda currently do not use AdBlue in any vehicle, the only one that did is the MK I Superb. This will likely change when Euro 6 kicks in early next year.

IIRC the brochure for the mkVII Golf had a whole load of info on SCR to reduce NOx emissions and no mention of AD blue, so I'm pretty sure that's the route they're taking. The extra cat is pretty small too, only about half the size of the dpf.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The 1.6 in our Touran doesn't, but there is a newer version which does.

Following the NOX sensor being replaced by a competent VW garage it's be using 10L every 16-19,000 miles which according to VW dealer is very good going. Theoretical maximum is supposed to be 14k.

I'm using the 10L bottles from BP (about £11) and shoving the whole lot in when it comes up. The tank is 15L as I understand, you just need to empty the boot to get to it, and fill it slowly to avoid it blowing back everywhere and dying clothes, or damaging plastic & metal.

The 1.6 in our Touran doesn't, but there is a newer version which does.

Following the NOX sensor being replaced by a competent VW garage it's be using 10L every 16-19,000 miles which according to VW dealer is very good going. Theoretical maximum is supposed to be 14k.

I'm using the 10L bottles from BP (about £11) and shoving the whole lot in when it comes up. The tank is 15L as I understand, you just need to empty the boot to get to it, and fill it slowly to avoid it blowing back everywhere and dying clothes, or damaging plastic & metal.

Sounds good.

Worth it too if it means they ditch the EGR ;)