What not to do when a set of blue lights come up behind you

So, bit of a rant, twice in as many days i`v seen some worrying driving as a result of an ambulance coming up behind.

Incident one, was coming up to a roundabout on a duel carriageway with a car behind me, I could see in the distance the blue lights approaching. As we got closer to the roundabout the ambulance was coming up behind me and the other car, so I eased off a little earlier than normal to allow the ambulance a clean entrance onto the junction. As i`v done this, the car behind has pulled straight out in front of it to overtake me! :o Lucky as I was already on the brakes I managed to make enough of a gap for the ambulance to slip in front of me. Were they pulling out because they wasnt looking? Or just think they can do what they like?

Incident two, cruising down a 70mph duel carriageway, ambulance passes me with blues and twos on not much quicker than me, then pulls back in front. We both carried on down the road, ahead I saw another car in the inside lane, as the ambulance arrives behind it, with me behind that, the car in front of us just slammed its brakes on! The ambulance had to swerve to avoid it, I backed off and eased past wondering exactly what these people are thinking when they do these kinda things. :dull:

Seriously worrying. :(

I have the greatest respect for the lads and lasses that crew ambulances. I've been in similar positions as yourself, see/hear an ambulance behind, slow up a bit and move over to the side a little to give them an easier passage through, driver behind pulls out in front of them. I was involved with ambulances in my last job, believe me - the crews can give you some really frightening stories. 4 1/2 tonnes and in a rush perhaps to get to a critically ill patient, why do people pull out in front of them?

Unfortunately most people don't know what to do when they see blue lights, even though they think they know what they are doing, they often make it much harder for the responding vehicle. I've often been driving on blues n twos and people have either not seen me and continue to drive along at 30mph etc, or they stop in the most stupidest places ie next to a traffic island or opposite parks cars etc so that I can't get past. It's something the general public need trained on.

• Like 1

I drive with blues on every shift and to be honest 80% of folk are fine, some folk with very little driving experience or very little confidence do tend to brake sharply and stop in the most awkward places....Van and lorry drivers (the minority) can take an absolute age to even notice you are behind them as their radios are blarring and they have no veiw of the rear of their behicle unless they use their wing mirrors which in my opinion none of them do nearly enough.

On the whole it does make for a challenging drive which always gets the adrenaline up for whatever situation is ahead, so not all bad :thumbup:

Early last year, I was on a single track road when I noticed an ambulance coming behind be in a hurry, so I sped up a little. A couple of hundred yards later, we both came across a car that had stopped after seeing the blue lights. After a bit of time had passed, I jumped out and told him to get moving and he just kept saying that "you HAVE to stop for ambulances". In the end one of the ambulances guys had to get out too. He then drove by the only passing place as I pulled into it and had the ambulance was stuck behind him all the way to the main road.

I know the ambulance crew reported the driver, as I had a visit from the Police who asked me to give a statement. Haven't heard anything since.

They must have had someone on board and were delayed by 2-3 minutes.

So, bit of a rant, twice in as many days i`v seen some worrying driving as a result of an ambulance coming up behind.

Incident one, was coming up to a roundabout on a duel carriageway with a car behind me, I could see in the distance the blue lights approaching. As we got closer to the roundabout the ambulance was coming up behind me and the other car, so I eased off a little earlier than normal to allow the ambulance a clean entrance onto the junction. As i`v done this, the car behind has pulled straight out in front of it to overtake me! :o Lucky as I was already on the brakes I managed to make enough of a gap for the ambulance to slip in front of me. Were they pulling out because they wasnt looking? Or just think they can do what they like?

Incident two, cruising down a 70mph duel carriageway, ambulance passes me with blues and twos on not much quicker than me, then pulls back in front. We both carried on down the road, ahead I saw another car in the inside lane, as the ambulance arrives behind it, with me behind that, the car in front of us just slammed its brakes on! The ambulance had to swerve to avoid it, I backed off and eased past wondering exactly what these people are thinking when they do these kinda things. :dull:

Seriously worrying. :(

Matt i thought you see it everyday being a bus driver, im well aware that other drivers dont look far enough ahead or behind at all usually, or indicate lol, how many times have you been overtook in traffic because your in a bus and they think you have stopped only to get level with you then realise ah ive now got nowhere to go now oops. Sadly us aware motorists that look ahead/behind, indicate etc have to look out for these kinds of drivers otherwise there would be a hell of alot more accidents. Im back bus driving for the minute again lol

It's all about observation. If you can't see a great big blue and yellow thing behind you or hear it coming, it's time you stopped driving. Bring on regular re-tests I say.

What makes me angry are the people at red traffic lights. Just move forward to let the emergency vehicle past. They think as its red they can't go anywhere!

I've always followed the advice of continue to drive normally and they will work around you, which is fine in wide, unbusy roads... smaller roads I'll acknowledge them and slow/pull in where possible.

Unfortunately some people wouldt know how to use to roads in a proper manner even if the highway code smacked them round the head a few times

I normally see the case of people slowing down on the other side of the road, when the ambulance has a clear run in front of him there is no need for folk on the other side of the road to slow down.

I know this is going against what the topic is and as said before i have the greatest respect for the ambulance crews but as Babs said, they can only do a max of about 75-80 mph, partly because they weigh more then the sun and 50% of the time have a patient onboard but on a dark night then LED lights absolutely play murder with your eyes, i end up having to over take them, i was following on the other night on the moors road, after 5 miles i couldt even focus my eyes so i had no choice

I've always followed the advice of continue to drive normally and they will work around you, which is fine in wide, unbusy roads... smaller roads I'll acknowledge them and slow/pull in where possible.

That's bad advice to be honest, never keep driving along at 30/40/60mph, it makes it so much harder to get past when your driving a van or anything bigger than a car. You should always pull over and stop ASAP in the nearest wide place so the vehicle can get past you.

What makes me angry are the people at red traffic lights. Just move forward to let the emergency vehicle past. They think as its red they can't go anywhere!

Its technically not permitted to run a red or do anything illegal for emergency vehicles (from what I've read on here lol). Thats including mounting a kerb. Which obviously I got ZERO gratitude for when recently an oncoming police car was trying to get through a narrow lane and me going to the edge but refusing to mount the kerb.. He squeezed past slowly and I saw the evil in his eyes as if I skinned his cat alive and used it as a scarf.. :bandit:

I know this is going against what the topic is and as said before i have the greatest respect for the ambulance crews but as Babs said, they can only do a max of about 75-80 mph, partly because they weigh more then the sun and 50% of the time have a patient onboard but on a dark night then LED lights absolutely play murder with your eyes, i end up having to over take them, i was following on the other night on the moors road, after 5 miles i couldt even focus my eyes so i had no choice

Technically the sun has no "weight" in space :angel:

That's bad advice to be honest, never keep driving along at 30/40/60mph, it makes it so much harder to get past when your driving a van or anything bigger than a car. You should always pull over and stop ASAP in the nearest wide place so the vehicle can get past you.

My sources:

From the Highway Code...

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

And this Government video:

:think:

Its technically not permitted to run a red or do anything illegal for emergency vehicles (from what I've read on here lol). Thats including mounting a kerb. Which obviously I got ZERO gratitude for when recently an oncoming police car was trying to get through a narrow lane and me going to the edge but refusing to mount the kerb.. He squeezed past slowly and I saw the evil in his eyes as if I skinned his cat alive and used it as a scarf.. :bandit: Technically the sun has no "weight" in space :angel:

smart arse! haha

I mus say i dont remember been told what to do in the case of an emergency vehicle with blues on, i know its just common sense to get out of the way but there are people on our roads that dont even know what most the switches and stalks do in their own car :wonder:

SWMBO's mum asked the other day what the hazards were?

For hazardous drivers :D

My sister doesnt know how to pop the bonnet..dont you need to know how to do that to pass your test?!

My neighbour asked me last week where the washer bottle is and how to check the oil (she has seen me do it and guessed she would have a crack at it)

It took my friends dad half hour to figure out how to turn the rear wiper off..half an hour of pure entertainment for me! haha

So when it comes to moving over for an ambulance im not surprised people forget how to drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQugBEmsHek

Seems very appropriate for this topic :D

Edited by Ema_jane
  • Like 1

If its SAFE I'll move enough for the emergency vehicle to get past at red light, but if not then no I'll stay where I am, no point causing more accidents.

I have overtaken ambulances before, as ema said, sometimes they are just cruising at 60-70, only on a duel carriageway obviously lol.

I just think people loose their head a bit, paticulaly the person on the duel carriageway just stopping. Iv also found that as much as they often get slated, lorry drivers are normally pretty on the ball. Van drivers are in a whole legue of their own tho tbh!

If its SAFE I'll move enough for the emergency vehicle to get past at red light, but if not then no I'll stay where I am, no point causing more accidents. I have overtaken ambulances before, as ema said, sometimes they are just cruising at 60-70, only on a duel carriageway obviously lol. I just think people loose their head a bit, paticulaly the person on the duel carriageway just stopping. Iv also found that as much as they often get slated, lorry drivers are normally pretty on the ball. Van drivers are in a whole legue of their own tho tbh!

Yeah iv noticed this with Lorry drivers, they are always aware of whats going on around them (i suppose they have to when they are in control of 44tones!) but iv never come across one that had left his main beam on accidently on an unlit road but saying that they dont seem to mind pulling out on me doing 56mph when im doing 70+mph to over take his mate (and then take about 4 miles in doing so)

My sources:

From the Highway Code...

And this Government video:

:think:

I think that video is as old as Adam and eve! Lol. The highway code quote says if necessary pull over and stop, honestly when there's blues and twos behind you, pull over and stop immediately if safe to do so, it is so hard to pass a car that hasn't reacted to you and is still travelling at 30mph especially as you will have junctions, other road users, traffic islands etc etc, even our 3.0 shoguns are crap at accelerating so are difficult to pass people.

(i suppose they have to when they are in control of 44tones!) but iv never come across one that had left his main beam on accidently on an unlit road but saying that they dont seem to mind pulling out on me doing 56mph when im doing 70+mph to over take his mate who is doing 55mph (and then take about 4 miles in doing so)

+1, but generally speaking lorries here (EU) get filled up volumetrically before they reach 44tonnes, many avg at under 28tonnes before its full and they often aim below 32 tonnes if not, something to do with clever logistics :drunk: , thats why you see 4m high lorries are getting more common. Its sad, I know :giggle: (Again not just for the fun of it, its for the course I did).