what did you have before a vrs and why did you choose a vrs

Jasons

Mk4 Seat Ibiza PD130

Only replaced it with the Fabia cos we (thought) were putting big miles on the Ibiza at the time (i think it reached a heady 70,000) and the Fabia offered the same but in a more aggressive looking body (plus Briskoda is loads better than SCN!)

To add to the irony the other half then got a job further away from home so started piling more even miles on the Fabia!

Resulting in the Fabia now having 45,000 more miles than the Ibiza did when we sold it :doh:

I've had 4 vRS in a row now, 2x Mk1 Octavias, and 2x Mk1 Fabias.

Before that, i was running an Impreza.

Combination of a job change, and having to commute again, led me to buying the Octavia, and then i wanted a smaller car, so opted for the Fabia.

I only got rid of the Fabia as it was written off, and bought another Mk1 Octavia, which i sold and bought my current Fabia, which i'll be selling next month.

306 HDI dTurbo lowered mapped.

wanted something newer and vag. and something where bits dont fall off. And stop working on a regular basis.

Although... I spent more on a sachs clutch and smf than i sold the mint 306 for!!!

Adam

Had a Polo 6K Saloon before my Fabia.

Huuuge boot, and quite spritely for a 1.4.

Didn't really like Club Polo, and just got bored of it after about 6 months though.

Heard about the vRS while I had it, drove one, then I was hooked. :)

P1030294.jpg

• Like 1

Had a crappy pug 307 tiptronic (when it worked) auto.

Used to think pugs were up to the job but the 307 soon dispelled that thought.

Saw the fabia vRS on fifth gear and thought Hmmm, that'll do.

Took a test drive soon after and the rest is history.

Couldn't bear to part with it when I got the Yeti so SWMBO now uses it.

Best of both worlds? Definitely :)

In the past year and a half

Fabia 1.4 mpi - first car - best car imo

Corsa 1.2 M reg 95 (only had 20k miles!!)

Audi A3 - kept leaking water, no idea where from no one could work it out

Audi A4 - 97 brand new gun metal spray job 110 TDI - Rear shunt got wrote off cause me to have 2 slipped discs

Audi A4 97 - Broken waterpump getting sick of cars by now scrapped it

push bike - cheap, lost 3 stone in weight

now back to good old Fabia vRS - reason I got was because it was owned by service manager as a Skoda garage had FSH and was going cheap because he was getting a monte carlo, glad I went back to my roots until engine blew up after a month now I have it back and hope to keep it for quite a long time

Bit of a shady car history for myself.

Mk 1 Renault Clio 1.2 (4 speed beast) - Clutch was gone and the car was pretty much a write off if it ran out of petrol (plus I had it for 2 years).

Citroen Saxo VTR - Loved this car but I wasn't sensible at the time and bought a duff car, problems with gearbox, electrics and in the end it would cost a lot to fix up.

Mk 1 Ford KA - Having a small budget from the sale of the Saxo needed something cheap, this came along.

Mk 2 Renault Clio 1.6 - Took a look at myself in the mirror and realised I was a 23 year old male with a KA, something had to be done and just did a straight swap to get the Clio.

55 Plate Seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport (in yellow) - The Clios engine died after a year of owning the vehicle and needed something more reliable, bought this.

Mk 1 Skoda Fabia VRS - Job change came about at my work and was required to commute 100 miles a day, the Seat was a thirsty 1 and just would have bankrupted me if I kept it. Opted to go for the Fabia because it was nippy, in fantastic condition, low mileage and for the most part very cheap to run!

Mk5 fiesta zetec s in black was second owner, love look of em and still do. Sold it for 3200 lad rolled it few weeks after and got 3600back!

Next was a impreza import tuned to 320bhp and at 20 insurance was a little steep.

Then a polo g40 best car. But engine went. Spent 3k rebuilding only to take it to garage and bodywork was rotten and cudnt afford to carry on.

Then a seat ibiza cupra nicely modded in silver

Then a octavia vrs which mike on here's got.

Then quadbike which is in garage and now the hybrid yellow fab!!

Clio 1.6 8V - My first car, a nice reliable nippy little car.

Clio Renaultsport 172 - A brilliant car, looked great, drove beautifully, really fast.. but a bit too thirsty for my wallet. Also build quality issues etc.

Fabia vRS - Looks great, drives great, reasonably fast, built well, very reliable... but best of all very cheap to run. Performance AND economy - love it!

I've had a pretty dire car history, the Furby vRS was my first decent car. Previously drove:

17052_412985180121_768610121_10695034_6849636_n.jpg

• 1997 MkI Phase III Clio 1.2 RL Paris 3d in white (with rust). Complete bag of bolts, list of repairs in 3 years, 15,000 miles:
    • 5 wheel bearings!, 2 clutch cables, 1 clutch, 2 tyres, 2 front brake pads, 2 front drive shafts, 1 front coil spring, 2 dampers, 1 brake cylinder and a misfire.
    • Rolled more than an inflatable in rough seas, no grip, lots of understeer. Brilliant in snow though. Ultimately let my dad use it for the scrappage scheme and used my cut of the money to get a....

• 1998 MkIV Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec (no rust until we had the big freeze, but lacquer peeling on spoiler (sound familiar to vRS owners :giggle: )).
    • This suffered from a misfire too, traced to the HT leads. And handbrake cable seized. Was still on its original battery so had to change that too. Other than that, no faults but brake bleed nipples had seized, so couldn't bleed the spongy pedal!
    • Swapped to the Fabia vRS after I'd saved up some money, because despite being a lowly 1.4 with only 90 bhp the Fezza was only returning about 35 mpg (and about 35 mpg on oil too!). Didn't sound too bad though and rolled less than the Furby, but nowhere near as much grip

Picked the Fabia on the basis of it being more economical and a lot faster than my old cars, and the rave reviews in pretty much all publications about both the Fabia and VRS. Definintely wanted a diesel warm/hot hatch (also looked at Astra 3 door 150 bhp CTDi, until I heard about their tendency to eat DMFs!)

Sorry about the massive images, I tried to scale them down but the post editor thing won't let me :-S

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

I had this as my daily driver for about 5 years before the vRS (i still have it but it gets used about once a month now)

340+BHP its alot of fun....I have another one which I am rebuilding as a rally car.....should be even more fun :)

Picture019.jpg

Had to sell (my half) 2004 A3 2.0tdi sport to my x in 2010 when we split up...... wanted to get something with similar performance as the A3... simple as that really!

At the moment i'm going thru a small car stage.... the Fabia vRS has everything i need and quick and fun enough without being raped for insurance, tax and general costs.

I think it looks better to the very similar ibiza fr and there was nothing else out there that ticked as many boxes as my Fab.

i had a vauxhall corsa design as my first car and had always wanted a vrs, when the time was right so the insurance could be afforded i bought one and loved it, still puts a smile on my face

Prior to my MKI Fabia vRS I had a Lupo GTi, which is still my favourite car. Always liked the MKI vRS, so it was a case of scratching the itch. Don't regret it at all - great car - only moved on to the MKII as it was another itch that needed scratched (plus I only do about 5k / 6k a year, so fuel prices not an issue).

Ford Fiesa 1.4 Si Mk 4 (90bhp) - Was first car and bought it for a suprising £520 with 12months MOT. Was a great first car as was very nippy and hardly any other NA 1.4 could compete with the performance. The car handled very well and could just be chucked around corners and no over or understeer. wasn't too bad inside although the outside looked old and ugly. Died after 10months due to lack of engine oil so scrapped it.

Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9TDI (110bhp 52plate) This was my dads old taxi and he upgraded to a octavia VRS. I payed £800 for it and had full service history at 208k miles including a new turbo however still on original clutch. Car was great, loved the space, comfortable but would have liked a bit more poke. Car was written off after 9 months due to being in the middle of a pile up.

Gilera runner 125SP (2 stroke) - After the pile up i had no money and was left pennyless due to being Third Party Fire and Theft, Took me a good few months to save up for the bike due to change of job and less money. Was a great bike.

Corsa C 1.4SRI (X Reg 90bhp) - Changed job again and could finally afford to buy/run a car again. bought this as started work for BMW and this was a trade in. Trade in's normally go to auction however put a request in and got the car for £1100 with full service history at 60k miles - Was good to have a car again however after a month it just couldt compare to the octavia. Was the same BHP as the Fiesta however the Fiesta would have eaten it for breakfast. I hated the handling as well. Would have been a good first car but just didn't get on with it. Too common as well.

Fabia VRS MK1 (55plate) - So after a few months went by in the corsa i had saved up some cash and had been looking at Fabias for well over a year in the past. A dealer 10miles from work had an add on their website, went down after work to look at it, bought it and collected the following week - was very exited have to save. Great car, have already had it mapped and love the car. Handling could be better and it may not be the fastest of cars but it's so good. Got ESP, full leather, Electric sunroof and others so not too bad spec/

I've had a pretty dire car history, the Furby vRS was my first decent car. Previously drove:

17052_412985180121_768610121_10695034_6849636_n.jpg

• 1997 MkI Phase III Clio 1.2 RL Paris 3d in white (with rust). Complete bag of bolts, list of repairs in 3 years, 15,000 miles:
    • 5 wheel bearings!, 2 clutch cables, 1 clutch, 2 tyres, 2 front brake pads, 2 front drive shafts, 1 front coil spring, 2 dampers, 1 brake cylinder and a misfire.
    • Rolled more than an inflatable in rough seas, no grip, lots of understeer. Brilliant in snow though. Ultimately let my dad use it for the scrappage scheme and used my cut of the money to get a....

• 1998 MkIV Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec (no rust until we had the big freeze, but lacquer peeling on spoiler (sound familiar to vRS owners :giggle: )).
    • This suffered from a misfire too, traced to the HT leads. And handbrake cable seized. Was still on its original battery so had to change that too. Other than that, no faults but brake bleed nipples had seized, so couldn't bleed the spongy pedal!
    • Swapped to the Fabia vRS after I'd saved up some money, because despite being a lowly 1.4 with only 90 bhp the Fezza was only returning about 35 mpg (and about 35 mpg on oil too!). Didn't sound too bad though and rolled less than the Furby, but nowhere near as much grip

Picked the Fabia on the basis of it being more economical and a lot faster than my old cars, and the rave reviews in pretty much all publications about both the Fabia and VRS. Definintely wanted a diesel warm/hot hatch (also looked at Astra 3 door 150 bhp CTDi, until I heard about their tendency to eat DMFs!)

Sorry about the massive images, I tried to scale them down but the post editor thing won't let me :-S

Is that the fiesta behind the Clio?

• Like 2

I had a Vauxhall Agila 1.0 when I passed, It was a terrible car in many ways, but great in others. I got it as a CAT D and put it back on the road.

Then I had a 05 Corsa 1.2 for a while before the vRS.

I got the vRS because I wanted something fast, economical and cheap(ish) to insure.

Heres a few pictures of the Agila after I had a little bump...

645_52114356941_503536941_1799337_2465_n1.jpg

645_52114351941_503536941_1799336_2100_n1.jpg

19742_376060425511_517610511_10434528_1054261_n1.jpg

It still worked very well so why scrap it? Endlessly useful in the sticks on a farm and lots of fun!

• Like 2

1.2 Fiesta Zetec (petrol-wanted to go derv)

306 straight diesel (good engine-thats all i have to say......and it looked awesome) otherwise it wasnt great but i suppose it wasnt exactly new..

1.4 8v Polo

then i grew up a bit

'04 Leon 110 non pd....didnt realise til i had it home that i should have bought a pd (company van led to me giving it back)

307 2.0 hdi 110 needed a car asap and the guy down the street was selling it so i bought it. got a year out of it and it only stood me £50, efficient motoring at its best :happy:

05 pre facelift vectra c sri 120bhp was bad news from i got it, clutch, flywheel, release bearing, turbo, egr valve... the list goes on and on

so :rofl:

last monday i said id had enough got some money together and went for the fabia, my mate in work has an ibiza which is almost identiacal to the fabia and he loves it plus hes got about 120k on it and it really is a weapon

so i bought an '05 fabia vrs with 53k on the clock, and here i am :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

loving it although its a bit broke atm but what can you expect buying a second hand car

first car corsa c 1,2 sxi lasted 2 weeks before i stuffed it into a field

2000 fiat punto 1.2 base model plug absoutly hated that car blew the gearbox then got shot of it

corsa c 1.4 sri had it 2 years grat little car had it dropped the deck was too thirsty for my ex commute though

2004 fabia vrs got it for said commute 3 years ago and love it too bits dont think ill get rid of it too good a car

Previous cars have all been petrol and Vauxhalls.

My previous Astra,

DSCN4642rs.jpg

DSCN4650rs.jpg

Had a change of job which meant an increase in commuting miles and also now travelling at the height of rush hour traffic. Having had the Astra nearly 7 years and approaching 150K miles it was time for a change. I had the money to buy something petrol and relatively quick but felt it would be a waste doddling along A roads at 40mph as most of my commute is.

So I reluctantly decided I had to go diesel. Made my mind up pretty early on I wanted the PD130 with the 6sp 'box. The problem was there were lots of dreamers asking silly money for 8 and 9 year old Golfs and Leons, and lots of them were 100K plus. In the end plumped for the Fabia.

Sorry, but I didn't really want a Fabia, it just won by default. Already planning my move back to petrol with my next car.

Edited by Big Col

cel1.jpg

Loved my GT4, but it cost a fortune getting the fig 8s sorted, new engine, clutch etc etc. After that had a L200 pickup but that also cost a fortune to run so got the Fabia now and love it to bits.