225/50/17 versus 215/60/16

Runswick Stag

My tyres are coming up for change soon and the price for them is a bit steep ....was just wondering has anyone considered fitting 225/45/17 instead of the 225/50/17...there's about £40 difference per tyre..and the size difference is quite small

After long investigations and despite being primed with info on this forum, my potential dealer hasn't had any luck in getting the standard 17's swapped for 215/60 R16's other than by retailer re-fit with me paying for them - a quite unbelievable £1450. I'd like to think they have really tried but others owners here seem to have been successful recently without too much fuss. What are my people missing? Or is it me? (We're talking Yeti 140 4x4 DSG plus one or two bits.)

After long investigations and despite being primed with info on this forum, my potential dealer hasn't had any luck in getting the standard 17's swapped for 215/60 R16's other than by retailer re-fit with me paying for them - a quite unbelievable £1450. I'd like to think they have really tried but others owners here seem to have been successful recently without too much fuss. What are my people missing? Or is it me? (We're talking Yeti 140 4x4 DSG plus one or two bits.)

Hi,

unfortunately the dealers get the standard SUK brush off, that you the customer have to have what they deem appropriate not what you want. Therefore you have to do the leg work yourself and challenge the dogmatic position by contacting both the manufacturer and the head of SUK, Mr. Hazelwood.

Maybe one day they may listen and offer the 16" wheel option on all models :wonder:

Would actually like to know who decides the trim level offered on UK spec cars and invite them to come and test drive some of the models with these 'fashion' wheels and the obligatory wide low profile tyres,on real rural roads rather than on a mirror smooth test track :yes:

TP

brijo -

The Plumber is right, you have to contact Mr Hazelwood at Skoda UK, he will pass your request to a Customer Service Executive who will either e-mail you or telephone you. I did exactly that and my new Yeti shod with 16" Moon Alloys and 215/60 R16 wheels/tyres is currently on its way from the Factory to the Dealer to me.

What happens is that Skoda UK place the order with the factory then hand over the progressing of the order to the Dealer you have negotiated with. The Dealer was, I think, a little surprised by the process but was happy to work with it - no problem!

I've just bought a set of these - arrived yesterday. Seems like a very good price for a quality Yeti fit tyre. If this set sells, I would leave it a couple of days and check again, as the seller seems to be putting up a new set every few days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-225-50-17-98W-YOKOHAMA-C-DRIVE2-EXTRA-LOAD-TYRES-BRAND-NEW-/280841333253?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A225%7CAspect+Ratio%3A50%7CDiameter%3A17&hash=item416372aa05

Blimey, having just read Delboyyy's post, I thought I'd written it as that's exactly what I've done with my SM too. Couldn't agree more about how good the Vredersteins are, although we haven't really had as much snow here this year. They were good in the ice though. As for ride quality, again agree totally with Delboyyy about turn in etc, but the ride doesn't seem that much different from what I can remember, but I only did about 500miles in the car before swapping the wheels for winter & I'm also running my winters at +0.2bar as per the manual, so that will also affect the ride. So I suspect that's a spectacularly unhelpful post I've just written really, sorry!!

• 1 month later...

Well, now we're back on the "summers", I thought a quick update might be appreciated. On the 17"s I'd say that you're slightly more aware of significant ridges in the road & the sharp edges of bad potholes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's any more uncomfortable than on 16"s. I've noticed more perceptible changes in ride quality switching between different tyre manufacturers using the same size tyres before. However, I would say that I think the most noticeable change going back to the 17"s is that the damping is definitely improved & is significantly more efficient with the bigger rims -because the sidewall is lower (therefore stiffer) more energy & shock is transmitted directly into the suspension which allows the suspension to do its stuff properly. I guess that if you want a softer ride than the Yeti gives you need to buy a Cashcow. Just have the sick bags ready for the passengers when it gets twisty!!

• Like 1

Hi all,

As I haven't been able to find an answer through a search in this site... has anybody fitted 215/55/17 tyres with the original alloys?

It seems to be a good compromise between the two standard sizes and also you keep the original 17" alloys. I would like to know if there is a slightly better fuel economy (they are only one cm narrower) and slightly more comfortable (they are 0.5 cm higher) than the original 225/50 ones :notme:

Thank you, kind regards.

Well, now we're back on the "summers", I thought a quick update might be appreciated. On the 17"s I'd say that you're slightly more aware of significant ridges in the road & the sharp edges of bad potholes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's any more uncomfortable than on 16"s. I've noticed more perceptible changes in ride quality switching between different tyre manufacturers using the same size tyres before. However, I would say that I think the most noticeable change going back to the 17"s is that the damping is definitely improved & is significantly more efficient with the bigger rims -because the sidewall is lower (therefore stiffer) more energy & shock is transmitted directly into the suspension which allows the suspension to do its stuff properly.

+ 1 That sums up my findings perfectly. :)

As it isn't a recognised Skoda fitment in the UK, we would need to inform our insurance company of so-doing.

So, you cannot fit an equivalent size tyre within some margin (here in Spain there is a +-3% circumference margin) without having to inform the insurance company? I only hope you can at least fit a different brand tyre :wonder:

Kind regards.

It seems to be a good compromise between the two standard sizes and also you keep the original 17" alloys. I would like to know if there is a slightly better fuel economy (they are only one cm narrower) and slightly more comfortable (they are 0.5 cm higher) than the original 225/50 ones :notme:

Thank you, kind regards.

I am not sure how you can accurately calculate fuel economy between wheel and tyre variations as the rolling distance (circumference) will be different between the variations.

Your odometer will over / under read the distance travelled in comparison to the "as supplied" configuration.

Even this is confusing - there are differences between the 16 and 17" standard fit when it comes to distance travelled, check out the excellent tyre guide here.

Edited by vegit8

I am not sure how you can accurately calculate fuel economy between wheel and tyre variations as the rolling distance (circumference) will be different between the variations.

Your odometer will over / under read the distance travelled in comparison to the "as supplied" configuration.

Even this is confusing - there are differences between the 16 and 17" standard fit when it comes to distance travelled, check out the excellent tyre guide here.

Hi Vegit8,

Thanks for the link, I already had read that post. But since I didn't find anything about the tyre size I referred to, I decided to ask about it.

I realize you cannot accurately measure this with the maxidot information. But you can easily calculate it by adding the corrective factor to both distance and consumption. Assuming that for the current factory tyre size the Maxidot information is accurate, you can compare the data before changing the tyres with the data after the tyre change in this way:

Real distance = shown distance * circumference variation

Real consumption = shown consumption * circumference variation

In this case, the 215/55/17 has a 1.78% larger circumference, so the circumference variation factor will be 1.0178 which is very small.

But the consumption economy I was asking about was more focused to the fact of having a slightly narrower tyre, so there would be less friction and slightly better aerodynamic coefficient. I know these changes are very small and also depend on tyre pressure, wheight and so on, but taking these appart, just to see if there is any significant difference as it is said to be with the 205/60/16 fitted with the Moon alloys.

Kind regards.

There is so much difference between 16" and 17" ride in Yeti, that You can feel it without leaving a parking lot!

Steering in our 1.2TSi @16" is noticably lighter than in 17" 1.4 TSI.

Since Im driving 1.4TSI I will consider to go for 215/60 R17 or even 225/60 R17 when its come to tyre change..

Should I say anything else about ride comfort difference?

Edited by lok

Assuming that for the current factory tyre size the Maxidot information is accurate

That's quite a big assumption, and one which is not supported by my comparisons between consumption calculated from recorded mileages between brim-to-brim fill-ups, and what the Maxidot was reporting at each fill. I find the Maxidot consumption figures so wayward that they're not really worth bothering with.

Had a puncture yesterday, a nail which was too near the edge of the tyre to repair hence new tyre was required, Dunlop sport 01 225/50/17 94W.

Best price I could find £136.50 locally.Hurts when the mileage is only 2,200.

I don't think the 16" option was available when I ordered my car.

To answer the 215/55R17 question is the tyre fits well within the 3% ratio and suits the car very well as this is the size i use with my snow tyres (nokian) the http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

The 215 against the 225

in terms of mpg about the same , noise level the 215 was quieter , handling the 225 wins much more stability (not in snow though)

However the tyres did have different attributes being snow against sports so a closer product would really be needed to access this properly , the reason i use the slimmer tyres for winter is to clear the snow and rubbish easier as the wider section increases the chance of packing them full with snow etc.

Hope this gives some idea

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

ps I will be getting 215/60 R16 winters to go with the summer 225/50 R17 from the factory and do expect a less harsh ride (but I also expect less precise handling and possibly more noise). I will use my old company's tyres because I will get a discount but otherwise wouldn't have any qualms about fitting any major brand.

I have for winter time Conti Viking 5 215/60 R16 and for summer Pirelli P Zero (delivered with the new car) 225/50 R17. I tested the noise using my phone driving about 25 km from home to work. The Contis were 2200 km driven two weeks ago and the Pirellis 50 km driven yesterday. The condition of the streets after the winter is awful, they are very rough (most of Finns are using spikes), there is holes etc. The Yeti has 3 dB less noise when using the Pirellis.

Had a puncture yesterday, a nail which was too near the edge of the tyre to repair hence new tyre was required, Dunlop sport 01 225/50/17 94W.

Best price I could find £136.50 locally.Hurts when the mileage is only 2,200.

I don't think the 16" option was available when I ordered my car.

Why are you buying W rated tyres when the specced tyres are H rated. I expect Hs would be cheaper.

Why are you buying W rated tyres when the specced tyres are H rated. I expect Hs would be cheaper.

The info was taken off the existing tyre.The 94W refers to the load rating(I think).

According to Germans

http://www.tuev-hessen.de/content/e2562/e8658/Serienreifen_Skoda_2011_11_ger.pdf

for 1.2 engine the recognised tyres go on like this:

- 205/55 R16 91H M+S

- 205/50 R17 93H M+S

- 215/60 R16 95H

- 225/50 R17 94W

Meaning that mike 111's tyres are perfectly ok (not overrated).

BTW 94W means weight limit 670kg, speed limit 270km/h.

As for the tyre change, did you change both front/rear tyres mike? :giggle:

The info was taken off the existing tyre.The 94W refers to the load rating(I think).

W rating is for speeds upto 168 mph - H rating for speeds upto 130 mph.

W seems a bit optimistic for a 1.2 that is specced at 108 mph.