FSI, TFSI, TSI, WTF, FFS?!

Okay, so i'm asking this here as not everyone will look at the TTS shifter thread, but can someone explain to me IN LAYMAN'S terms what the frag the difference is between FSI, TSI & TFSI apart from what they are all acronyms for??

Also, can anyone state which engine types have which set of letters? For example, I have a 58' 1.8t L&K but due to different things written on different bits of paper I could have either a TSI or a TFSI, I just don't know.

Hopefully, as well as stating what the non grease-monkey written differences between the three types are (pro's and cons too, asking too much?), if someone can list which engines are which type, it might be of help to others too.

Over to you guys. :kiss:

May be wrong but think,

FSI - normally aspirated direct injection, Fuel Stratified Injection

TFSI - Turbo charged direct injection as above ^^^

TSI - Same as TFSI but VAG has begun dropping the "F"

Some of the smaller capacity engines have a Twin Charger, super charge low revs and turbo high.

So realistically FSI, has no turbo and TSI/TFSI no difference either older engine code or particular mark in Group is adding taking the "F" out or adding in.......

For the 1.8 and 2.0 engines older engines, 3 letter codes, AXX etc.., had rubber cam belts, newer, since (2008) 4 letter engine codes have cam chains. Other than cylinder spacing everything else is a complete redesign from the earlier engines. Loads of detail but the big one is the cam belt/chain. Chain is better than belt, other than that earlier and newer engins are generally well thought of.

Edited by disbloke

Worth pointing out you can't get the twin-charger TSI engine in a Skoda - we get the 1.8TSI instead. You can also get the MPI engine, but I've no idea how this differs from the FSI, however I think it's is only available in the 1.6 now as the 1.4 is replaced by a 1.2TSI.

best way to know is get the engine code off the car itself. either look on the engine, or on the build plate. it will tell u wat engine u have.

below is a list off all the different engines in the VwAG family:-

FSI Trans AXX ROW crowned 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

FSI Long BGB ROW 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

FSI Trans BHZ ROW 2.0 TFSI 195kW (265 PS)

FSI Long BPG NA crowned 2.0 TFSI 200 HP

FSI Long BPJ ROW 2.0 TFSI 125kW (170 PS)

FSI Trans BPY NA 2.0 TFSI 200 HP

FSI Long BUL ROW 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

FSI Trans BWA ROW 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

FSI Trans BWA ROW 2.0 TFSI 136 kW (185 PS)

FSI Long BWE ROW 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

FSI Trans BWJ ROW 2.0 TFSI 177kW (241 PS)

FSI Long BWT NA 2.0 TFSI 200 HP

FSI Trans BYD ROW 2.0 TFSI 169kW (230 PS)

FSI Long BYK ROW 2.0 TFSI 125kW (170 PS)

TSI VL Long CAEA 132kW

TSI VL Long CAEB 155kW

TSI Trans CAWB ROW 2.0 TSI 147 kW (200 PS)

TSI Trans CBFA NA 2.0 TSI 200 HP

TSI Trans CCTA NA 2.0 TSI 200 HP

TSI Trans CCZA ROW 2.0 TFSI 147kW (200 PS)

TSI Trans CCZB ROW 2.0 TSI 154kW (210 PS), 280Nm

FSI Trans CDLB ROW 2.0 TFSI 200 kW (272 PS)

TSI VL Long CDNB ROW 2.0 TFSI 132kW (180 PS), 320Nm

TSI VL Long CDNC ROW 2.0 TFSI 155kW (211 PS), 350Nm

NA (US) MK5/MK6 2.0 TSI Engine

CCTA

CBFA

CCT and CBF denote the engine's mechanical structure. IE, secondary injection (CBF) vs non secondary injection (CCT). A, the 4th letter, denotes the power output for the calibration, ie both rated in the us for 207ft-lb/200hp.

ROW (Rest Of the World) MK6, vRS and A3 2.0 TSI Engines

CCZA - A3, vRS

CCZB - MK6

CCZ denotes the european mechanical structure.

A and B denote a software calibration change for different power levels.

A has 200hp, B has 210hp.

A denotes the 200HP calibration. B denotes the 210HP calibration.

Edited by JR RS

Because IEEE802.11* confuses PC World workers :)

IEEE 8......extended warranty sir?

There is a long standing argument over wi-fi and IEEE 802.11x but loads of people accept 'wireless fidelity' so fill yer boots people.

I think I've dragged this thread sufficiently off topic now so I'll get me coat.........

• Like 1

2.0 Tfsi = 115 bar fuel pump, cam belt, K03 turbo, airbox integral to engine cover. Basic things....

2.0 Tsi = 130 bar fuel pump, cam chain, IHI turbo (smaller than K03) airbox seperate from engine cover it also has stronger internals.....

iirc the 1.8 Tsi is exactly the same as the 2.0 apart from the 200cc, 1.4 Tsi is the twin charger engine found in the mk2 Fabia vRS and a variation of the mk5 Golf GT, the Fsi is an normally aspirated engine in various sizes, none turbo.

• Like 1

Although FSI stands for fully stratified injection...the UK does not take stratified injection as there is too much sulphur in the fuel.

Only a few 1.6 mk5 Golfs were "proper" FSI as they had a NOX sensor in the exhaust.

Think of it as a trim level....a FSI is the same engine variant as a TFSI just without the turbo.

(if you notice no VWG Brand explain what TFSI, TSI or FSI stand for...they use it in the same way as vRS or GTD etc)

A TSI is a different engine entirely!........Believe me it gets more confusing than this! haha

Edited by BonnevillevRS

Sorry thats incorrect. Fabia Mk 2 vRS has the 1.4 Twincharger engine. (1.4TSI)

Yeah just after I posted it I thought about the Fabia vRS, but couldn't be arsed to fire up the PC to change my post. On the Octy you can't get the twin-charged TSI.

/stands corrected

t

Yeah just after I posted it I thought about the Fabia vRS, but couldn't be arsed to fire up the PC to change my post. On the Octy you can't get the twin-charged TSI.

/stands corrected

Groundhog- You can get the twin charger in an Octy, I have the 1.4 tsi estate 2011 plate, which is super-charged and turbo charged (same as golf GTI 1.4)

t

Groundhog- You can get the twin charger in an Octy, I have the 1.4 tsi estate 2011 plate, which is super-charged and turbo charged (same as golf GTI 1.4)

Erm, I've never seen one. Would loved to be proved wrong, what's your engine code and do you have a picture of the engine bay?

I've just thought of some more acronyms to add.

TDI - TurboDiesel Direct Injection (All diesels are have injection, that's how they work!)

TD - Turbo Diesel (normally indirect Injection)

SDI - Suction Diesel Direct Injection

PD - Pumpe Düse, CR - Common Rail

MPI - Multi Point Injection

HTP - High Torque & Performance

I've just thought of some more acronyms to add.

TDI - TurboDiesel Direct Injection (All diesels are have injection, that's how they work!)

TD - Turbo Diesel (normally indirect Injection)

SDI - Suction Diesel Direct Injection

PD - Pumpe Düse, CR - Common Rail

MPI - Multi Point Injection

HTP - High Torque & Performance or Has Three Pistons ;)

• 8 months later...

Okay, after all the hassle people have been having with cam chains jumping, can I confirm that despite the dealer writing TFSI on various bits of the paperwork when I bought it new in 2008, I actually have a TSI and this problem is a possibility with my car??