No ! We have no Raspberries . . . .

Clunkclick

Information seems to be a bit sketchy and confused. The machine spec says 256MB RAM and that it runs Fedora Linux booting from an SD card. However, the Fedora site claims a minimum requirement of 768MB RAM with 1GB recommended. You also need 9GB of storage for the OS which means a 16GB SD card to get you started as well as possibly some disk storage for other stuff.

So a Rasberry Pi with an ARM processor, 256MB RAM comes in at £21.60. Then add

16GB SD card

Screen

Keyboard

Disk

And you might get away with £150

A netbook with Intel Atom (or dual core AMD) screen, keyboard, battery, 1GB RAM, 320GB disk, Windows and webcam is about £229

Maybe it is good value if you want to use them to make a blade or array type environment, but as a one off development platform there might be better solutions.

This was on my mind all night, so I kept waking up. Got up just before 6am and turned PC on.

I already had a Raspberry Pi login as I ordered the stickers, so I thought it would be just a case of login in-order-paypal-go back to bed. Oh no. Their main website said they were now selling them through Farnell & RS Components. And they still have not arrived from China. Arrrhhhhh.

I logged into both websites, but then there only seemed to be 'register your interest' on RS and on Farnell the order screen did not recognise the item number? By this time it was a few minutes past 6am and the World and their dog was trying to log on. Registering an account with both companies was a nightmare.

Just checked on Farnell website, and they show all sorts of 'bundles' so it might be worth waiting and getting one with a USB hub etc.

I think all this interest/demand has shown that the Raspberry Pi will succeed and it was a very worthwhile project. I don't think I have time at the moment anyhow to learn how to use the thing, what with house & car projects. So might just wait for the bundles to come out.

• Like 1

I'm interested in one of these. I have been using Linux, Python and Arduino alot at the moment for my final year project and must say that this could of been potentially involved if it had been released sooner!

*Waits for them to appear on eGay at silly prices*

Didn't manage to get one for my "daughter" and so ended up registering my interest with RS and will see what comes of it. It's predominantly aimed at getting people interested in how computers work and so exposes the ability to program (ala original BBC B, ZX speccy, etc which offered built in BASIC interpreters in the main ROM) that most computers kids have access to hide..

I'll be interested to see how it looks and feels nd how accessible it is to da kidz it's pitched at. :D

Chris

The Pi will use a Fedora specially tuned for it. It will also run a few other flavours. I missed out too this morning but I'm in no hurry!

You only need a micro USB power supply, an SD card, keyboard and mouse and screen and your away. I have all of the above so just need the £25 Pi. I am looking forard to getting my hands on one!

Information seems to be a bit sketchy and confused. The machine spec says 256MB RAM and that it runs Fedora Linux booting from an SD card. However, the Fedora site claims a minimum requirement of 768MB RAM with 1GB recommended. You also need 9GB of storage for the OS which means a 16GB SD card to get you started as well as possibly some disk storage for other stuff.

So a Rasberry Pi with an ARM processor, 256MB RAM comes in at £21.60. Then add

16GB SD card

Screen

Keyboard

Disk

And you might get away with £150

A netbook with Intel Atom (or dual core AMD) screen, keyboard, battery, 1GB RAM, 320GB disk, Windows and webcam is about £229

Maybe it is good value if you want to use them to make a blade or array type environment, but as a one off development platform there might be better solutions.

Just to get it straight its a custom version of fedora, not the same as would be required for a x86 box as the requirements above say.

Plus, it has HDMI so no display required.. and a massive SD card is less than a tenner.

Im going to get one of these as the potential of them is massive. Theres already a development build of XBMC in existence, and using the HW decoding features of the CPU will mean 1080p streaming quite easily.

Think of it as a very very cheap yet more powerful AppleTV2

• Like 2

I'm interested in one of these. I have been using Linux, Python and Arduino alot at the moment for my final year project and must say that this could of been potentially involved if it had been released sooner!

*Waits for them to appear on eGay at silly prices*

Hows your Arduino stuff going Rob? - have to say that that would be one use case for them!.

• Like 1

I want one, but I don't like that it has no case? lol

I'm sure there'll be a market for stylish cases - get on the bandwagon early and start designing some to make your fortune.... once you've finished your course work of course :giggle:

Chris

They will be releasing a more "consumer" orientated version which has case/psu etc once all us geeks have got hold of them and pretty much developed a stable platform for them to market to schools etc lol.

• Like 1

Didn't manage to get one for my "daughter" and so ended up registering my interest with RS and will see what comes of it. It's predominantly aimed at getting people interested in how computers work and so exposes the ability to program (ala original BBC B, ZX speccy, etc which offered built in BASIC interpreters in the main ROM) that most computers kids have access to hide..

I'll be interested to see how it looks and feels nd how accessible it is to da kidz it's pitched at. :D

Chris

That's exactly what I'm interested in as well so I'm looking forward to their education launch, I'm a STEM ambassador so it would be great if the Pi could offer pupils an interesting start with computer programming similar to the old BBCs, C64 etc. as you say. I'm also a bit disappointed they've gone with ARMv6 rather than ARMv7 as even the budget phones are now moving onto ARMv7 but I guess choice is limited when on a very tight budget.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7