Street lights On or Off

CFB

Our local council has decided to turn off all street lamps at night, between midnight and 7am.

They're trying to save a few quid.

The lights at major junctions on main roads are left on for safety.

To my mind this creates nice dark streets with loads of parked cars for the vandals and thieves to have their way with!

Is this happening in your town and what do you think about it?

The lights around our estate roads (small cul-de-sacs) have been modified with some form of sensor on them, which means they come on when anyone (cars or person) come near. By the time I've driven past in my car though, the light has only just come on.

Good idea though.

The lights around our estate roads (small cul-de-sacs) have been modified with some form of sensor on them, which means they come on when anyone (cars or person) come near. By the time I've driven past in my car though, the light has only just come on.

Good idea though.

Now that's a council thinking -very unusual :hi: .Over in Warks we haven't had anything done ,but there's areas in Warks where it might cost the council more than it saves .

Same here in our part of Wales. Off from midnight to 5am. The one outside our house is one of the ones that turn off during those hours. Neighbours complained but typical council never listen. Tempted to go around all the councillors houses to see if their street lights are off. We live in a cul de sac so I've altered the timings on the telegraph poles with the works cherry picker. Neighbours are happy and no one thinks any different as it looks like I'm working on the overhead lines

Good idea though.

They seem to do the opposite here - walk past and they turn off!

But no, they've left most of the town/side road ones on here, but turned off the main A road ones.

Here every other streetlight has been turned off leading some dark spots.

Some areas are now getting 25% taller lamps installed, and the neighbouring 2 being ripped up. Naturally parts of the county have seen crime rising, especially sexual crimes and robbery/muggings

My concern will be suicidal cyclists with no lights, can barely see them now with the lights on, one of the perks of living near a university. Cops don't do owt, knocked one off last year after she cut in front of me to turn right, her excuse? I thought you saw me! Had a right go at her, how could I see her with no lights on! Thought I was in for it when a group of butch lookin girls came over but it turned out they saw everything and started telling the lass off aswell lol

My concern will be suicidal cyclists with no lights, can barely see them now with the lights on, one of the perks of living near a university. Cops don't do owt, knocked one off last year after she cut in front of me to turn right, her excuse? I thought you saw me! Had a right go at her, how could I see her with no lights on! Thought I was in for it when a group of butch lookin girls came over but it turned out they saw everything and started telling the lass off aswell lol

Those lot are trouble as are the I've got a single LED with flat batteries in the back so you can see me right lot.

I think they should automatically make an accident on a bike the bikes fault and the cyclist or their estate liable in any accident where there is a high degree of chance that the accident was caused by non compliant with the rules of the road by the cyclist. No lights, failing to obey traffic lights being but two.

Black hoodie, black Tracky bottoms, black trainers and no lights coz it's cool in it bruv :(

Those lot are trouble as are the I've got a single LED with flat batteries in the back so you can see me right lot. I think they should automatically make an accident on a bike the bikes fault and the cyclist or their estate liable in any accident where there is a high degree of chance that the accident was caused by non compliant with the rules of the road by the cyclist. No lights, failing to obey traffic lights being but two.

The police can barely catch drivers committing the same offences - very rare that they would catch a cyclist until after an accident regardless of fault. Speaking as both a keen cyclist and driver I have seen idiots on both sides and near misses with the non-"lycra louts" are usually the fault of the cyclist whereas the lycra clad hivis wearing cyclist is more risk aware and fault normally lies with the driver who is inattentive. I have also seen many an incident where an inattentive driver and non-experienced cyclist have met...

Naturally parts of the county have seen crime rising, especially sexual crimes and robbery/muggings

Really?

From the figures I've seen from ACPO that isn't the case.

Only one problem with that .The 30 limit is light dependant. Lights off ,it needs to be signed, BUT then cannot be enforced if signed and lights on .

New street lights are starting to use pulsed LED technology that can be controlled centrally and offers huge long-term power and cost savings. Initial outlay is higher at the present time but LED's are much cheaper to run that SON-type or similar lights and when they are controlled better (eg reduced output when not needed) that is improved again.

It's the future guys...

Only one problem with that .The 30 limit is light dependant. Lights off ,it needs to be signed, BUT then cannot be enforced if signed and lights on .

It's dependent on the presence of a lighting system - it doesn't say the lights have to be on for it to be valid (otherwise the limit would vary during daylight hours!).

From TSRGD section on placement of repeaters:

(4) The sign shown in diagram 670 (except when displayed on a variable message sign in the manner mentioned in regulation 58(7)( B )) shall not be placed along -

( a ) a road on which there is provided a system of carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland and which is subject to a speed limit of 30 mph; or

( b ) a motorway on which a national speed limit is in force.

Chris

Even with quotes from senior police in each article advising people to take care, and the progress of investigations?

You live in your area, there's an increase in crime.

You don't live in Wales and there's no increase in crime there.

Are you sure street lighting is the problem?