What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

If at all possible, I'd give you a wave or a flash of hazards for that, exactly because you can't be forced to pull over (but see HC Rule 169 https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169 ).

It's here: 54.366688,-1.352271 that I pull in. it's the only place where we can pull in before the A19. There is another bit that looks like a lay-by on the previous hill but that's someones drive so we can't. It's not the best of roads for leading but we have to use it. I pull in here every time I pass to let people go.

Richmond. What a s*** hole! Drove round the market place and found a parking spot, parked up and went to the bank, payed in a load of £2 coins and went back out. Got in car, went round the middle to go back up and out, turned right to go across the middle and up but some cow in a landrover was backing back down and indicating my way, well no, I wasn't backing back into the main part so stuff you go straight back or back up! Just sat there like a ***** instead so I thought f*** it, went straight forwards and turned up where some plank decided that it is his right to walk out in-front of cars waving his arms in the air. Then some arse decided to stop and start causing me to have to stop quick and stalled, got going again and they were just stopping and tarting all the time. Eventually got out of there and hope I never have to go back for a very long time! Stupid place full of stupid people that can't drive to save their lives!

Not technically driving so to speak but, got back to my parked car to find some idiot had gone in front first next to me but at an angle and could hardly get out the car themselves, I was glad I came along when I did, otherwise I could be looking at some more damage on the car

Silly young bint that decided the middle lane here actually veers left and that those dotted lines leading you into the correct lane weren't intended for her. And I just happened to be in the left lane. Obviously my nearly 5m long and 2m wide car is so smalls as to be invisible.

She then tailgated the guy doing 60 in a 60 until she gets past then proceeded to do 65 on a NSL dual carriageway.

I really need to get a camera.

Edited by Aspman

The learner that I ended up stuck behind for 2 miles on my way to work. Was stuck doing 15-20MPH in a 40mph zone and taking roundabouts (including 2 of the largest ones in town) at 5-10 mph. I did stay behind and not make a pass (very difficult to do so safely on this stretch of road even if you wanted to). I eventually turned off to my office at which point I noticed the tailback was 30+ vehicles.

I have nothing against the learner in question (we were all there once) but her instructor deserves special mention. Clearly either her instructor was not paying attention to her speed (which should be appropriate to the road) or  the student was not ready to be pushed onto main arterial roads. Allowing a student to drive on these roads when clearly not ready for the appropriate speed is a substantial hazard to other road users. There were a number of opportunities to take less busy roads which her instructor ignored.

• Like 1

After 20 years of driving, I got my first ever puncture. An effing draper expert torx bit with the socket bit on the end, well and truly stuck in nose first.

Got yourself a nice, useful tool there. Small compensation... :)

• Like 1

Snow that had melted then frozen to the windscreen making about 1/4" of solid ice to remove followed by a suicidal partridge that walked across the road in front of me.

Good news I can report that GY Efficient Grip really do have good grip in cold wet conditions.

I'm not sure which annoyed me more.

Sitting in traffic, crawling along. Every time I move, I hear what is like a horrible scraping sound. Panic! Spent a couple minutes trying to work it out, I gathered it wasn't me. Noticed other people looking at the car behind.

Breathing again, I took a look behind. Nothing appears untoward. Just a Peugeot estate behind me. Heres the issue. Every time they moved forward, you hear the noise. The best I could describe it is like dragging corrugated aluminium behind you on the ground. Not a nice noise.

The thing is though...they were not dragging anything behind. It was only heard on acceleration, as soon as they backed off and coasted it stopped.

IT WAS THE ENGINE!

No way was that a healthy engine.

So, the toss up, is it that someone has let their car get to that state, or simply the fact that they carried on, as if completely oblivious to it?

Crazy...

As an aside, any thoughts on what would cause such a horrible racket?

Edited by spgSCOTT

I'm not sure which annoyed me more.

Sitting in traffic, crawling along. Every time I move, I hear what is like a horrible scraping sound. Panic! Spent a couple minutes trying to work it out, I gathered it wasn't me. Noticed other people looking at the car behind.

Breathing again, I took a look behind. Nothing appears untoward. Just a Peugeot estate behind me. Heres the issue. Every time they moved forward, you hear the noise. The best I could describe it is like dragging corrugated aluminium behind you on the ground. Not a nice noise.

The thing is though...they were not dragging anything behind. It was only heard on acceleration, as soon as they backed off and coasted it stopped.

IT WAS THE ENGINE!

No way was that a healthy engine.

So, the toss up, is it that someone has let their car get to that state, or simply the fact that they carried on, as if completely oblivious to it?

Crazy...

As an aside, any thoughts on what would cause such a horrible racket?

I'm sure I heard the same crappy Peugeot making the same noises. I thought it was me too.

A foreign registered fully liveried up learner car tailgating me for miles, texting while drifting all over the place, not knowing the speed limit in the UK, not knowing how to indicate on a roundabout and doing a multi vehicle overtake slicing right past me almost past before actually leaving the lane........  :@ Bring back capital punishment tbh!  :dull: Time to post a video on the national governing body for instructors fb page with some pics or perhaps a video  :devil:

Nearly getting wiped out while doing 70 on the M11 by a black VW Eon who decided that just by his back bumper being past my door was an ideal time to change lanes. Managed to swerve to avoid him (just) he then continuednweavy across all 3 lanes in between cars but not really getting anywhere. After the M11 finished despite him nearly causing at least 6-7 different accidents he was still only 3 cars in front.

I hate dangerous stupid drivers. Just made my mind up for me to install car cam

Edited by Mikek3111

Nearly getting wiped out while doing 70 on the M11 by a black VW Eon who decided that just by his back bumper being past my door was an ideal time to change lanes. Managed to swerve to avoid him (just) he then continuednweavy across all 3 lanes in between cars but not really getting anywhere. After the M11 finished despite him nearly causing at least 6-7 different accidents he was still only 3 cars in front.

I hate dangerous stupid drivers. Just made my mind up for me to install car cam

I don't get why everyone has not got them; £29.99 plus a tf card, hides behind rear view mirror, goes on and off automatically with the fag lighter when starting car up (our Zafira's stays on permanently so we have plug and unplug it  :dull: ), when has filled card it records over it.  No hassle, ace footage.  Why not got it already?

I don't get why everyone has not got them; £29.99 plus a tf card, hides behind rear view mirror, goes on and off automatically with the fag lighter when starting car up (our Zafira's stays on permanently so we have plug and unplug it  :dull: ), when has filled card it records over it.  No hassle, ace footage.  Why not got it already?

which cam for £29.99 do you have

Just one of the things that have been on my list of things to do that I've not got round to doing yet and was something I didn't see as an immediate necessity at the time as I don't do load of mileage.

Knobbers with powerful cars that drive like pensioners through corners and then hoof it down the straights, only to hold you up through the next series of bends.

That's not way to talk about everyone else in my county..... wait a minute, it's more or less what I say too :D 

• Like 1

Just one of the things that have been on my list of things to do that I've not got round to doing yet and was something I didn't see as an immediate necessity at the time as I don't do load of mileage.

Fair enough, but so cheap and such an effective way to avoid months of arguments and headaches!

Fair enough, but so cheap and such an effective way to avoid months of arguments and headaches!

Funilly enough, after it happened I said to SWMBO about getting one sorted out for exactly the same reasoning, she wasn't too happy as its more money being spent on the car but totally agreed that it was the best way to go. Will have a look round over the next few days and order all the gear to wire it all in.

Edited by Mikek3111

I have debated about this for a while now, and had sort of discounted it, expecting for it to add a huge cost to my insurance (I am young, zero no claims, my policy is way into the 4 digit range already) but it seems that they will only want an extra ~£20 if I do end up fitting one. Interesting.

Now I am leaning more towards it. Seeing that they are not a whole lot to buy either now, I am finding myself swayed into looking at it more seriously.

Why would you have to declare a dash cam to insurance? Its not a modification to the car and it's easily removable. No different to having a phone cradle.

Edited by Mikek3111
  • Like 1