What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

Why would you have to declare a dash cam to insurance? Its not a modification to the car and it's easily removable. No different to having a phone cradle.

I have seen it mentioned here before now. They see it as a modification, hence declaring it. I may not actually have to I don't know, but at the end of the day, I don't really feel like it is wise to have ~£1500 worth of insurance policy potentially voided because of a £30 camera if I ever find that I need it.

I'd rather not take the chance really.

If you hard wire it, I'd call that a modification, surely?

EDIT: A word.

Edited by spgSCOTT

Funilly enough, after it happened I said to SWMBO about getting one sorted out for exactly the same reasoning, she wasn't too happy as its more money being spent on the car but totally agreed that it was the best way to go. Will have a look round over the next few days and order all the gear to wire it all in.

Wiring is easy, buy a £28 sat nav off ebay, a 12v twin USB socket, the dash cam and 2x USB - mini USB leads of the right length.

Plug the twin USB socket in, affix sat nav dash centre, affix dash cam behind mirror so you can see screen if you crane a bit, plug in both leads to USB twin socket leading them around the dash to the units in the least disruptive way, use small cable ties every so often to hold wires together and plug tail of cable tie into panel gap/dash gap wherever to hold in place, when sat nav wire gets to unit, wrap cable around mount until the right length, then plug it in, then do same for dash cam lead running it directly from back of sat nav up to dash cam, run cable around bracket once to make it tidy, then plug in.  With the nav low and dash cam peeking out behind mirror and a single tiny USB lead running between both, you lose no visibility.

If you buy a rear cam, simply push wire in headlining where it meets windscreen, then carefully around a-pillar panel, (do not block curtain airbags) door rubbers until you get to rear door end, then nip round to boot, (assuming hatch!) pull down the headlining, feed through to rear, pull out rubber tube which runs wires from body to boot, feed wire through, refit and lead to rear cam on back window, any excess wire tape to headlining.  Before fitting, mock it up to work and adjust camera as once mount adhesive touches glass it does not move and you do not want any obstruction in way, eg a bar of the rear screen heater.

20 min job.

Wiring is easy, buy a £28 sat nav off ebay, a 12v twin USB socket, the dash cam and 2x USB - mini USB leads of the right length.

Plug the twin USB socket in, affix sat nav dash centre, affix dash cam behind mirror so you can see screen if you crane a bit, plug in both leads to USB twin socket leading them around the dash to the units in the least disruptive way, use small cable ties every so often to hold wires together and plug tail of cable tie into panel gap/dash gap wherever to hold in place, when sat nav wire gets to unit, wrap cable around mount until the right length, then plug it in, then do same for dash cam lead running it directly from back of sat nav up to dash cam, run cable around bracket once to make it tidy, then plug in.  With the nav low and dash cam peeking out behind mirror and a single tiny USB lead running between both, you lose no visibility.

If you buy a rear cam, simply push wire in headlining where it meets windscreen, then carefully around a-pillar panel, (do not block curtain airbags) door rubbers until you get to rear door end, then nip round to boot, (assuming hatch!) pull down the headlining, feed through to rear, pull out rubber tube which runs wires from body to boot, feed wire through, refit and lead to rear cam on back window, any excess wire tape to headlining.  Before fitting, mock it up to work and adjust camera as once mount adhesive touches glass it does not move and you do not want any obstruction in way, eg a bar of the rear screen heater.

20 min job.

why do I need a sat nav?

I have seen it mentioned here before now. They see it as a modification, hence declaring it. I may not actually have to I don't know, but at the end of the day, I don't really feel like it is wise to have ~£1500 worth of insurance policy potentially voided because of a £30 camera if I ever find that I need it.I'd rather not take the chance really.If you hard wire it, I'd call that a modification, surely?EDIT: A word.

Insurance company can get bent. As long as its not hardwired into the main loom then its removable item, exactly the same as my sat nav or phone cradle. It in no way alters the original factory state of the vehicle therefore is not s modification. Did you declare your sat nav? Phone holder? Mats? Child car seats?

Biggest load of tosh I've heard.

The complete twunt in a massive mercedes van/bus thing that cut from the outside lane on to the slip road to my left at god knows what speed, leaving about a hair's breadth between his front bumper and my rear end... especially as my 7 month old girl was asleep in the back. Heart was in my mouth for a moment as it suddenly loomed in to my mirrors at speed.

why do I need a sat nav?

You may not, but it is a neat and easy combo to fit, rather than running wires from the lower dash up the A-pillars and across the roof; the sat nav neatens up the wiring as you can hide excess wires behind it.

It was just an easy way and works well, just a suggestion.

A flat-bed Transit of scaffold poles which was indicating to, i thought, reenter traffic and instead pulled across to make a three-point turn. There was no chance he could have completed the maneuver before I reached him. The audacity to wave after I was forced to almost stop was just the icing.

When I got to my destination, I am always amazed at the lack of awareness in parking. I was probably not going to be able to park in the small carpark, but there are two huge ones just across the road for the library etc. Bloke pulling out of the top huge carpark, which had three vehicles in it, in such a way that although I had right of way, stopped me entering said carpark. He comes out and goes into the 'too small' one opposite. I get in, get parked, and lo and behold the dozy git has parked ON the pavement.

My destination, NorthEast Disability Forum building. Littl'un managed to walk the fifty yards perfectly well.

A pair of complete bell-ends in white vans. I'd caught them and we'd reached a clear straight. I checked my rear view before overtaking and saw an ambulance coming up on blues and twos, so signalled left and stopped to clear the way for the ambulance (in that location he had to be on his way to a genuine emergency). The WVMs carry on and force the ambulance to slow behind them, to the point where I nearly catch it despite starting from rest and cruising slower.

When I did overtake them, I had to pass them both at once, despite them having been following each other for about 6 miles that I saw.

The number of idiots texting on the M62  this morning. Seems to be more each day. 

Only way to stop them is catch them at it and fine/prosecute them - only issue is there are virtually no police traffic cars about so very little chance of ever getting caught.

The Police are not prosecuting them in lots of areas just sending them on some stupid course at our expense no doubt,why don't the manufacturers make it impossible to make and receive calls at all. The technology is out there.

Err unless it's a secret plan to reduce population.

Why would you have to declare a dash cam to insurance? Its not a modification to the car and it's easily removable. No different to having a phone cradle.

IMHO insurance companies should be offering a discount on your insurance if you have one fitted,especially if its a removable one [ that way nobody breaks your window and nicks it when you're out of the vehicle ]

• Like 1

Knobbers with powerful cars that drive like pensioners through corners and then hoof it down the straights, only to hold you up through the next series of bends.

Yes!!

Or even worse, the ones that wait till you commit to overtake, then boot it.

Barstewards.

• Like 1

The Police are not prosecuting them in lots of areas just sending them on some stupid course at our expense no doubt,why don't the manufacturers make it impossible to make and receive calls at all. The technology is out there.

Err unless it's a secret plan to reduce population.

Actually, the WDU course is at their expense.

Does anybody actually think a course will stop these halfwits using there phones again,a driving ban will do the trick before they actually kill somebody,or themselves.

Tailgators. Tryna find my way around sheffield centre on the bike tonight, clearly dont know where im going, just reading signs whilst doing the speed limit.

Apparently thats not enough though. Apparently i need a passat CC 6 inches from my back wheel, just to give me 1 more thing to keep an eye on

The ambulance on a blue light run, running through the red (as they are entitled to, and I'd hope that they would) with no siren going.

Not a whole lot of traffic, but it wasn't clear to me (the second car at a light that just went green) and made the guy in front of me slam on for what I thought was no reason.

I think that if you are deviating from normal traffic laws that is when the siren should be going, in it's most obnoxious, get out of my way mode.

Nice chap in a red zafira yesterday on the top section of the Bewdley bypass. I was going east downhill -its single lane with double whites separating me from the 2 lanes going west and uphill. Coming towards me travelling round (to me) a long sweeping right hander comes matey in my lane! He kept coming too until I hit main beam and slowed down in case he carried on towards a head on impact. Only then did he cross the double white lines to rejoin his side of the road so what he was doing or thinking I have no idea. Had there been a cyclist or a biker going downhill it could have all gone Pete Tong. Unfortunately it didn't show up on my dashcam due to the wide angle and the bend, slope and speeds involved so he was too far away for it to pick him up- I was doing around 50 and he was doing far more than that in a 60. He did wave an apology as he sped past......

The ambulance on a blue light run, running through the red (as they are entitled to, and I'd hope that they would) with no siren going.

Not a whole lot of traffic, but it wasn't clear to me (the second car at a light that just went green) and made the guy in front of me slam on for what I thought was no reason.

I think that if you are deviating from normal traffic laws that is when the siren should be going, in it's most obnoxious, get out of my way mode.

Hmm. Whenever I've seen them go through a junction on a red light theyve turned the siren on just before.

Must of just forgot? Haha.

I understand that there are occasions when they specifically don't want to use the siren because it would cause stress to the patient.  As always, they do not have priority if they are going through a red and should be prepared to stop if necessary.  General advice from the blue light services is that they would like us to let them go, but not in a way which provokes a collision (by braking suddenly and hard).