Scout rear diff

Just a word in the ear of anyone with a Scout or 4x4

We have had a slight drone from the rear of the car for a while, it sounded a little like tyre drone but was only evident under very slight load at 60-70 mph & reapeared at over xxx mph

The rear tyres are low but as the warranty is close to expiring (57K) I took the car in to the dealer on Thursday to demonstrate the noise. They agreed it may not be tyres, they gave me a lift home to let them investigate further. They called later to say they had spotted an small oil leak from one of the shafts coming out of the diff & when the oil was drained it was evident all wasnt well in the diff. They dropped a loan car to me & said it would be sorted ASAP. Thankfully Skoda had one on the shelf & the car was sorted & back by 4 pm on Monday. Top service by the dealer to get it sorted so quickly, they even had time to stop the dash rattling while it was in. Its also reasuring to see Skoda carry parts that arent needed that often in stock . Having been victim to Nissan UK's stock control, "we will get it in a few days" & worse, "we have 3 listed but cant find any, we will have to try & find them" I had feared a wait

As I said I believe this is an incredibly rare problem on the 4wd cars, virtually unheard of but if you notice a similar small whine get it checked out, its only under light load & goes the instant you come off the throttle or accelerate harder, If it continues when you declutch or come off the gas its probably tyres

Oh dear.  I had my car serviced before Christmas including the Haldex.  I had my winter tyres fitted the next day & at first put the noise (sounds like that in the OP) down to them but soon decided to get it checked out.  They've checked the drive & all seems well but on the roads around the garage it's hard to replicate the effect. We decided we'd see what it was like once winter tyres came off which is tomorrow.  I'll be under the car looking for a leak in the morning.

Nice result. Glad you spotted it.

Could easily be something people just 'live with' that, or put down to a characteristic of the car, when in fact it could actually be more serious.

A good performance by your dealer too :thumbup:

My required:

Haldex coupling bush £394.95

Haldex oil seals £234.95

But it sounds like the OP needed a whole new Haldex!

Hence my question as to what they found when draining the oil to tell them things were amiss.

Out of interest what did they notice when they drained the oil to make them aware all was not well?

I cant remember the exact terminoligy, I took it to be the oil contained some metalic looking contamination

It's my diff that has oil on one side - not the haldex.  The garage aren't too worried about the amount of oil & did a check of the oil in the haldex & diff & both checked out ok.  Managed to get the noise to occur on a test drive but they don't think it's to do with the diff or haldex so it's booked in for more investigation.

Stuart_j - what was the part your dealer fitted?

It's my diff that has oil on one side - not the haldex. The garage aren't too worried about the amount of oil & did a check of the oil in the haldex & diff & both checked out ok. Managed to get the noise to occur on a test drive but they don't think it's to do with the diff or haldex so it's booked in for more investigation. Stuart_j - what was the part your dealer fitted?

Isn't the Haldex basically the rear diff in these cars? or does it have a Haldex and a rear diff?

All new to me but apparently not. Haldex is in front of the diff but they are bolted together & have their own separate oil. The techs took me under the car to show me what was what while it was up on the ramp. Issues aside I was amazed how clean & rust free the car was underneath for a nearly 5 year old motor.

My understanding is there is a final drive (diff) behind, and the Haldex clutch is in front of it (search YouTube for Haldex and there are some animations).

When you get the Haldex oil changed in a service, it's the Haldex clutch oil, not the final drive oil. However Skoda have a tech note to warn of mechanics mistakenly draining the final drive oil instead of (or as well as) the clutch oil and not reflling it causing final drive failure.

• 3 years later...

I had my Haldex serviced about 6 months ago; since then there seems to be a noticeable drone when accelerating under load (ie up hills or when heavily laden). I'm now concerned that my usually capable local mechanic may have neglected to fill the right oil afterwards. I'm guessing the easiest option is to take it to a dealer? Or maybe it's the tyres...

• 7 years later...
On 17/04/2012 at 06:13, Stuart_J said:

Just a word in the ear of anyone with a Scout or 4x4

We have had a slight drone from the rear of the car for a while, it sounded a little like tyre drone but was only evident under very slight load at 60-70 mph & reapeared at over xxx mph

The rear tyres are low but as the warranty is close to expiring (57K) I took the car in to the dealer on Thursday to demonstrate the noise. They agreed it may not be tyres, they gave me a lift home to let them investigate further. They called later to say they had spotted an small oil leak from one of the shafts coming out of the diff & when the oil was drained it was evident all wasnt well in the diff. They dropped a loan car to me & said it would be sorted ASAP. Thankfully Skoda had one on the shelf & the car was sorted & back by 4 pm on Monday. Top service by the dealer to get it sorted so quickly, they even had time to stop the dash rattling while it was in. Its also reasuring to see Skoda carry parts that arent needed that often in stock . Having been victim to Nissan UK's stock control, "we will get it in a few days" & worse, "we have 3 listed but cant find any, we will have to try & find them" I had feared a wait

As I said I believe this is an incredibly rare problem on the 4wd cars, virtually unheard of but if you notice a similar small whine get it checked out, its only under light load & goes the instant you come off the throttle or accelerate harder, If it continues when you declutch or come off the gas its probably tyres

Hi all, I know this is an old post but this is the exact same problem I have it seems, that it's the rear differential I am told by the dealer (replacement cost of £5800), with my 2016 Scout, I've now done 120,000 miles in since I got it new then , it's been serviced every year and as per the required interval by the Chester Skoda dealers. I was told by them, (though I  am not totally convinced) the service schedule is done from the chassis number, so the Haldex part was only serviced at 73k miles at 4 years, but the Skoda "Maintenance prices and schedule" internet web page says 30k miles or 3 years. The dealer said they used electronic ears to determine the problem and have said its the differential, is this the issue that the service was not done correctly as posted by  wfdTamar a few posts above ? I am not happy at all as it's only a 6.5 years old very well looked after loaded with extras car and reluctant to part with it.  Do I pay out for a new differential and hope the services are done with the right oils ? or worry that other things go wrong soon, Skoda U.K  won't I am told help with the cost because of the milage and say its up to the dealer for the service schedule?

Help

TMaintenance prices & Schedul

Could you describe your issue...   Is it a drone at about 2300rpm in a high gear underoad?  If so it could just be the rear propshaft coupling on its way out. 

Some have also had issues with an internal bearing inside the diff but that's repairable too. 

6 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Could you describe your issue...   Is it a drone at about 2300rpm in a high gear underoad?  If so it could just be the rear propshaft coupling on its way out. 

Some have also had issues with an internal bearing inside the diff but that's repairable too. 

It's a drone around about 50-60mph more prominent when I lift foot off accelerator, sounds like a brake pad sticking though it isn't. I have raised it as an issue with Skoda, and I am not sure the service schedule was adhered to tbh, though I'm probably going down the wrong rabbit hole, but tell me this, 'it seems' to me like its not really uncommon problem or am I wrong ? an expensive problem in any case.

17 minutes ago, skomaz said:

It's a drone around about 50-60mph more prominent when I lift foot off accelerator, sounds like a brake pad sticking though it isn't. I have raised it as an issue with Skoda, and I am not sure the service schedule was adhered to tbh, though I'm probably going down the wrong rabbit hole, but tell me this, 'it seems' to me like its not really uncommon problem or am I wrong ? an expensive problem in any case.

my 66 plate Scout has now done 120k miles and 6.6 years old