FUBAR

Hi all. Not been on here for a while. Swapped out my zx10r for an MT09 tracer back in March. Got hit by a car 5 weeks ago but bike repaired and I'm back riding again now. Just all the crap to deal with now.

Ouch, hope you're okay? What happened? I quite like the MT-09

Was filtering. She decided to turn into me. I'm fine. £1771 of damage to the bike but all good. The tracer is Incredible, rode across France twice this year on it. Keep going out for 125mile breakfast or lunch runs.

Lovely!

How are you finding it? Comfy enough? (:

I was looking through eBay and AutoTrader

I found and I am very happy with it :)

commuting to work great transport :)

traffic jams, "Cribbs Causeway Bristol" ceased to exist

I took the opportunity today to take my VFR for a good ride. Did about 60 miles of A roads, twisties and a little bit of dual carriage way. Had a smile from ear to ear! It's an absolutely awesome bike, does literally everything and you don't realise how easily it's doing it until you look down!

The bike is being collected on Wednesday to be taken for the new exhausts to be fitted. Once I get it back I'll do a similar ride and report back again with photos! Can't wait for the added noise :)

• Like 1

Went out for a steady spin with a mate on his ZX6R. 

He hasnt been riding that long, but is improving alot. He just doesn't forward plan.. at all. 

How's this for making no sense.. i one by one got past a line of traffic which were held up behind a tractor. Then i got to the front, slowly made myself room and left quite abit of space so i could 1) see past the tractor and 2) have loads of time to avoid and miss the cow **** it was dropping all over the place. 

So whats my mate do? overtakes me.. sits about 2 foot behind the tractor.. running over every bit of **** it drops and leaving him no chance to stop if the tractor stopped, and also he had no idea when the road was clear because all he could see was ****, literally. 

This went on for about 2 or 3 miles before the tractor turned into his farm. 

i did question his tactics.. but nice to get out never the less. 

Went out for a steady spin with a mate on his ZX6R. 

He hasnt been riding that long, but is improving alot. He just doesn't forward plan.. at all. 

Get him to sort some advanced training out. ;) 

Get him to sort some advanced training out. ;)

He really needs to do something. for his own safety if nothing else. 

He seems to be a slow learner.. but hes getting loads better tbh. 

When he first started he was doing 15-20mph everywhere. It was dangerous. i was bored.. it was far too slow, cycling from 1st and 2nd gear.. and the final straw when i left him was when a Corsa overtook us. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Took the GS out for a 100 mile round trip yesterday. As Chris has already said elsewhere the sun was low which presented some 'challenges' towards the end of the ride but really enjoyed starting to run her in and scrub the tyres. In retrospect I should have gone further west once I got to Ludlow, rather than going south then east through Worcester and on to Bromsgrove as I just ended up in traffic, culminating in a massive queue behind 4 horse drawn traveller caravans going along at little over walking pace on a winding main A road. I managed to safely filter past the cars and the 1st van. I suggested to one traveller who asked me to keep clear of his horse as his mate who was driving tried to under take me while I was patiently waiting my turn to get past the other vans in front positioned just to the left of the centre line behind another bike and 2 cars that they might consider pulling over to allow the massive queue behind them to disperse as they had just gone past 2 parking areas without stopping. Not sure where they were going but I was glad I was on the bike and not one of the many cars behind as there are few overtaking opportunities on that road.

Took the GS out for a 100 mile round trip yesterday. As Chris has already said elsewhere the sun was low which presented some 'challenges' towards the end of the ride but really enjoyed starting to run her in and scrub the tyres. In retrospect I should have gone further west once I got to Ludlow, rather than going south then east through Worcester and on to Bromsgrove as I just ended up in traffic, culminating in a massive queue behind 4 horse drawn traveller caravans going along at little over walking pace on a winding main A road. I managed to safely filter past the cars and the 1st van. I suggested to one traveller who asked me to keep clear of his horse as his mate who was driving tried to under take me while I was patiently waiting my turn to get past the other vans in front positioned just to the left of the centre line behind another bike and 2 cars that they might consider pulling over to allow the massive queue behind them to disperse as they had just gone past 2 parking areas without stopping. Not sure where they were going but I was glad I was on the bike and not one of the many cars behind as there are few overtaking opportunities on that road.

Madness. They wont care though. They do what thwy like. Its the horses i feel sorry for.

Glad youre enjoying the GS (:

Bet not many of you ventured out yesterday in them winds!  No I didn't either!!!!  I may pop out and wash the crud off the bike today and see how much tyre I have left.  Ideally I would like to leave it a couple of weeks until the Christmas credit card bill is paid.  Once that is done there will be some cash spare for new boots for the bike and for me as I am still wearing some Hein Gericke ones from 15 years or more ago!

There is a good chance of a ride out tomorrow as a couple of the RATS do New Years day if the weather permits.  Can't check the weather for tomorrow at the minute as the BBC web page has crashed.  My good lady is at work at 7 so I may well nip out somewhere.

Took the GS out for a 100 mile round trip yesterday. As Chris has already said elsewhere the sun was low which presented some 'challenges' towards the end of the ride but really enjoyed starting to run her in and scrub the tyres. In retrospect I should have gone further west once I got to Ludlow, rather than going south then east through Worcester and on to Bromsgrove as I just ended up in traffic, culminating in a massive queue behind 4 horse drawn traveller caravans going along at little over walking pace on a winding main A road. I managed to safely filter past the cars and the 1st van. I suggested to one traveller who asked me to keep clear of his horse as his mate who was driving tried to under take me while I was patiently waiting my turn to get past the other vans in front positioned just to the left of the centre line behind another bike and 2 cars that they might consider pulling over to allow the massive queue behind them to disperse as they had just gone past 2 parking areas without stopping. Not sure where they were going but I was glad I was on the bike and not one of the many cars behind as there are few overtaking opportunities on that road.

Where abouts was this? There have been a few horse drawn travellers in Telford over the last few weeks and I noticed yesterday that they'd gone! Maybe a coincidence!

While we are talking exhausts and the noise they make.  How many of you ride with ear plugs in?  I always do and have done for years. I can still hear the exhaust note and still hear the engine at all revs which is vital so that you can ride better.  I can also hear my wife talk to me and hear music on my phone (but don't) and can hear the phone and any conversation.  All of this is with moulded ear plugs rather than the cheapo foam ones.

Reason I ask is I have recently met an ex work colleague who I haven't seen for 17 years.  He has also retired from the force and before he left he did the same job as I did some years previously that being riding a large motorcycle on surveillance duties.  He did it for 9 years I did it for four but since that time I also did instruction for 4 - 5 years and have ridden on a daily basis for the last 5 so our time on a bike has been pretty much the same I suspect if not I will have done more hours than him.  He is partially deaf because of it and has to (but doesn't) wear a hearing aide because of the constant battering of the wind on his ears.

When in the Police we used to have our hearing tested every six months if you rode a Police bike because of the known issue with deafness caused by the wind noise and turbulence.  Had he not stopped riding when he did they would have stopped him because of the damage to his hearing.

This should not be a macho thing where folk say I don't need ear plugs.  You cannot tell what damage is being caused and it is only when it is too late to do anything about it that you find out.  This friend of mine is not the first that I have known to have suffered and the guy who did the job before me was the same.

So all of this talk of a nice sounding exhaust prompted me to post.  I fitted an after market exhaust to mine and immediately took the baffles out and it sounds very nice thanks but that is with ear plugs in.  I did ride by mistake one day back home having forgot to put the ear plugs in and the noise was deafening!

Just a thought really but honestly you guys don't underestimate the damage you are causing to yourself if you do not protect your lugs!

Pardon :notme::D

Took the GS out for a 100 mile round trip yesterday. As Chris has already said elsewhere the sun was low which presented some 'challenges' towards the end of the ride but really enjoyed starting to run her in and scrub the tyres. In retrospect I should have gone further west once I got to Ludlow, rather than going south then east through Worcester and on to Bromsgrove as I just ended up in traffic, culminating in a massive queue behind 4 horse drawn traveller caravans going along at little over walking pace on a winding main A road. I managed to safely filter past the cars and the 1st van. I suggested to one traveller who asked me to keep clear of his horse as his mate who was driving tried to under take me while I was patiently waiting my turn to get past the other vans in front positioned just to the left of the centre line behind another bike and 2 cars that they might consider pulling over to allow the massive queue behind them to disperse as they had just gone past 2 parking areas without stopping. Not sure where they were going but I was glad I was on the bike and not one of the many cars behind as there are few overtaking opportunities on that road.

Aha that's where the went ! They have been camped out on the north side of Redditch for a few weeks whittling wooden things for Xmas. To be fair the left the site spotless.

Chris I rode for a number of years without earplugs, as everyone did back then. I've worn them ever since it became common knowledge that wind noise damaged your hearing. For sure its had its effect on mine but doesn't give me any problems as yet.

A good reminder to anyone that rides without them !

• Like 1

Aha that's where the went ! They have been camped out on the north side of Redditch for a few weeks whittling wooden things for Xmas. To be fair the left the site spotless.

Chris I rode for a number of years without earplugs, as everyone did back then. I've worn them ever since it became common knowledge that wind noise damaged your hearing. For sure its had its effect on mine but doesn't give me any problems as yet.

A good reminder to anyone that rides without them !

Sounds like the same people! They've been making little wooden mushroom shaped ornaments! They had about 6-8 horses and again, sites looks spotless!

I ride with plugs, but not the moulded ones, just the cheap ones I'm afraid!

• Like 1

I bought some custom made ear plugs after seeing them at Donnington. Mould were made of my ears and the plugs sent to me about 3 weeks later. I have been using them for about ten years and cannot imagine riding a bike without them.

In my opinion, the single, cheapest and best wat way available to improve the enjoyment of riding a bike. (In addition to the health and safety benefits). I will not ride the bike without them. It's a bit like driving without a seat belt. It just does not feel right.

• Like 1

I have to say, i dont use them.

I know i should.. And i do keep meaning to get some decent ones, but it hasnt happened yet.

Pretty sure its already having an effect tbh.

I do need to get something sorted

So that could be your first New Year resolution!  I will find the link for the stuff I got which you mix together and it is enough to make 3 plugs.  Sounds daft I know I mean who has 3 ears but one is to practice on.  Bit of a faff having to sit with your gob slightly open for 20 minutes while the stuff goes off and you really need someone to help you put the stuff in.  I have been using mine for months now and I have to say they are far better than the disposable foam things but even they are better than nowt and they cost pence.  I was going to go the same route as Kev but never went anywhere where they were selling them.

So that could be your first New Year resolution! I will find the link for the stuff I got which you mix together and it is enough to make 3 plugs. Sounds daft I know I mean who has 3 ears but one is to practice on. Bit of a faff having to sit with your gob slightly open for 20 minutes while the stuff goes off and you really need someone to help you put the stuff in. I have been using mine for months now and I have to say they are far better than the disposable foam things but even they are better than nowt and they cost pence. I was going to go the same route as Kev but never went anywhere where they were selling them.

Yanno, i think it will be!

I do have pack of the disposable foam things, i put them in once n though nah, feels irritating haha.

If you wouldnt mind getting a link that would be muchly appreciated Chris.

Thank you (: