Still They Rip You Off

Superb MK2 has to be the ultimate in second hand prices, I see so many 18 mth old examples that are £500 less than a brand new vat free model, what a joke Skoda could have the cab market sown up by now but not at their dealer prices, ok some will buy an Octavia which isn't much better value and others will go up with a Passat, for my money even though I'd prefer the Superb I would buy a Passat because when you trade in the Passat holds the money, a Superb they offer you 10k for will retail at 14k and it's you who shouldered the cash, can you believe there are 58 plate 1.9's still being asked over 10k for, they are pricing themselves out imo, still an Avensis is really good value and the dealers want to help you, unlike Fritz in a cheap coat.

Well Sir, you are living in Rip Off Britain, :wonder: and if you are as disgruntled as you are sounding with Skoda? go buy that Toyota, although the two guys that have them at my work reckon they "seriously" drink diesel and they get petrol mpg's out of them

Edited by Tankdave

You'll get a lot more than 10K for an 18 month old one. I sold mine at christmas, it was more than 3 years old with above average mileage and I got more than 10K for it in exchange for the Audi and a shed load of cash my way. Dealer then sold the Superb for 11K, so about £800 profit for them.

The VAT free deal is not deflating prices, why well its because of the very long waiting times for new ones, so secondhand ones are holding their value. The same is happening with the Yeti, where a secondhand one costs almost as much as new.

Skoda doesn't control used car prices, the market does. Due to the long waiting times, there is more demand than supply so that pushes the prices of used cars up.

Mondeo's are cheap because there are more cars than people who want them so they have to be sold cheaper to attract more buyers.

• Like 1

The current situation is distorted by the VAT free offer IMO. The used car prices are determined by the market as mentioned. Also the prices of used cars are determined by the whole of the market so thats private sales, non franchised dealers and supermarkets. Dealers know that some people would never buy new and that people prefer to buy ex demos/low mileaged used cars.

As far as profit margins are concerned, something to keep in mind is that with used cars the dealer pays the VAT, with new cars the customer pays for the VAT. If the dealers buy a car for £10k and sell it for £14k then £800.00 goes straight to the vat man.

I had the same situation when buying my superb the dealers had ex demos for sale at only £1100 more than I could order new from a broker.

I was recently looking at an ex demo 140CR SE Estate, priced at £1000 more than the same model costs new on DriveTheDeal. It took them over six months to sell it but it is gone now. I guess some people will pay a premium to drive away the car that week.

• 1 year later...

How dare a business try and make a profit?!

They should be a charity and give stuff away instead. OP needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Sorry for the delay in getting round to replying, it's not me that needs the coffee it's all those that rush out and pay too much for an average second hand car, when it first launched there was a user who had a 1.8TSi that the alarm kept going off on, he tried to px the car and that slow depreciation wasn't evident in the buy back price they offered him, infact iirc they tried to steal it off him and you can bet it would've been marked up £1k less than a new one was, iirc they tried to give him £14k for a £21k car at 6 mths old.

Delay in replying!? Where've you been for 13 months? :giggle:

At least in the last year you'll be pleased to see used prices on the Superb have fallen nicely.

I'm going to look at a two year old (2011) SE twindoor with 12,000 miles advertised at £12,995 this weekend.

A lot of car for not a lot of money...

• Like 1

Delay in replying!? Where've you been for 13 months? :giggle:

At least in the last year you'll be pleased to see used prices on the Superb have fallen nicely.

I'm going to look at a two year old (2011) SE twindoor with 12,000 miles advertised at £12,995 this weekend.

A lot of car for not a lot of money...

That's a bargain! :o Didn't realise they'd gone that cheap already

That's a bargain!

Not as much as my unmarked 2009 1.8TSI Elegance twindoor, bought last July with 57K on the clock for £8450.

I got offered 6k for 2010 estate with 168k last month on a mercedes- guess they never wanted it of a sale.

Very, very few dealers will retail a car with that sort of mileage. They were offering you what they expected to get at auction, and I think they were pretty close to the mark.

Just received £13450 for my 3yr old twindoor elegance Superb against a new 1.8tsi elegance estate, more than satisfied with that plus the Vat offer it all made sense.

I was pleased with my 10 plate 1.4 twin with 50k miles bought with 3 months remaining on its warranty for £7.5k. An awful lot of car for money.

I was also interested to read today the 1.4 FL comes with startstop. Impressive consumption should get even better.