New Yeti Rival - Ford Ecosport

My_Yeti

Oh dear!

It could have been okay if it wasn't for the grille area. I thought Ford were moving on from this odd, aggressive style of front end, but obviously not!

Oh dear!

It could have been okay if it wasn't for the grille area. I thought Ford were moving on from this odd, aggressive style of front end, but obviously not!

I think that is the least of this thing's problems. The main problem is its proportions. Or lack of. The most glaring being that the Fiesta sized wheels and wheelarches are woefully too small for the amount of metal they are supporting. Hideous.

Furthermore Ford of South America have seemed to have missed the memo coming from Peugeot that the Fish Mouth look on their cars have been a total and utter failure. That look is no more for future Pugs but seems it will live on (un)happily here at Ford. Bless.

And I agree with My_Yeti about WhatCar? the natural competitor is the Qashqai

But then What Car are constantly placing the Octavia in the 'small family car' section, yet competitors such as the former Vectra, Mondeo, Insignia are classed as 'large family cars'

I've never understood it either :think:

But then What Car are constantly placing the Octavia in the 'small family car' section, yet competitors such as the former Vectra, Mondeo, Insignia are classed as 'large family cars'

I've never understood it either   :think:

The Octavia has an oversized boot which makes it almost a 'big' car but doesn't it's passenger space put it the class of the focus and the golf? Is it not very very similar to the golf inside? Which would make it a small family car (C segment) with a massive boot?

Not too sure Brimma, 'I' would class it as Mondeo size but the Mondeo is about another foot longer. As daiking put it may be down to interior size, length wise the Golf is shorter than the Octy.

I'm all confused now :S so off to Google I go!!

The Octavia is just what a Jetta is to the Golf albeit with a hatchback. So it is a Golf class car with a Golf wheelbase, Golf legroom and interior width, just with a longer overhang behind the rear wheels and thus a big boot. Nothing more, nothing less. A Mondeo it is not.

If that Fiesta based SUV is anything like the Kuga, it'll be tiny inside - more of a 2+2 SUV!

Thanks, Graham, but 2000Kg is the minimum I need. One element of my specification.

Brijo, if 2000Kg towing capacity really is the minimum you need, it does seem your choice of a Yeti fails your specification, unless you've now compromised.

Brijo, if 2000Kg towing capacity really is the minimum you need, it does seem your choice of a Yeti fails your specification, unless you've now compromised.

Forgive me if I'm being dim. Others in other thread did agree with me, and the April 2012 brochure gives this (penultimate line) (alright, you can hardly read it but you get the message, I hope!):

Edited by brijo

Forgive me if I'm being dim. Others in other thread did agree with me, and the April 2012 brochure gives this (penultimate line) (alright, you can hardly read it but you get the message, I hope!):

Well the penultimate line reads: Towing braked max kg. Thus if your requirement really is to tow a minimum of 2000kg as you say, suggests your actual requirement is to tow more, possibly substantially more than that, and in that respect the Yeti might not be the appropriate car for you.

The 2000Kg capacity gives (will give!) the necessary car/'van difference (target max 85%; actual 91%, OK'ed because of 'experience'!).

The 2000kg figure is the MAXIMUM figure that can be towed by that vehicle, so anything over that would be illegal.

Your posting seems to imply that you want to tow more than 2000kg.

I've just checked the label on my car:

Kerb weight 2075 kg

MAM 4075 kg

Front axle 1200 kg

Rear axle 1250 kg

Unbraked 700kg

(that last one surprised me!)