Dash Cams

I'm tempted by this one as it ticks most of the boxes for me (I wouldn't necessarily mount on visor, however the ease of unplugging it is a big plus)

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=350724385200

It's a vCam - anyone else looked at these?

I have seen them before the video quality shown in advert is brutally honest and is very low. You can get a lot better for your money, any of the ones that can go on with suction mounts are just as easy to remove and can be placed in a better more central position just below rear view mirror. I would think if you have a smart phone you could just get an app for drive recording and put it on a phone holder and get a better result!

what about this one :) supposedly better than its predecssor (which got poor reviews)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110991073612

I'm trying to avoid something with a built in screen / monitor... there's doesn't seem that many budget options around for that though :(

I was considering one of those for rear window not long ago but I have that many cameras now I should really just make use of what I have lol. The ones I posted above one is small with tiny screen (that can be on or off) and the other has no screen and is small too. The one at £29 delivered stocked in UK seems worth a look should be higher quality than this one.

As per Aspmans' post above the guy who reviews such cameras has reviewed the one you have seen.

If it is handed to police at scene then they can vouch for it later in court but could still be argued by layers, however if police can see what happened they can often get other supporting evidence. Either way insurance company should be happy.

I see that sort of driving every day on the Dartford road up into Sevenoaks. About half a dozen "incidents" in past few years but no fatalities. In the mornings it's usually women late for work/school, afternoons it's boy racers in bangers and execs (bankers perhaps) in audis and bmws. Plod not too concerned if no deaths.

As per Aspmans' post above the guy who reviews such cameras has reviewed the one you have seen.

sorry, I worded my original post quite badly - if you look at the comments associated with that video review, it's "the predecessor" - ie. there's a "new A8" and an "old A8" - the new A8 supposedly fixes a lot of issues mentioned in that review, and is around the same price as the old one - I think it's just updated firmware and a better sensor :)

sorry, I worded my original post quite badly - if you look at the comments associated with that video review, it's "the predecessor" - ie. there's a "new A8" and an "old A8" - the new A8 supposedly fixes a lot of issues mentioned in that review, and is around the same price as the old one - I think it's just updated firmware and a better sensor :)

The review is very recent, it suggests it is the new version. I posted it because, under video if you watch it on youtube page he has a link to where to buy the camera and its exact same one from same ebay seller as yours.

The review is very recent, it suggests it is the new version. I posted it because, under video if you watch it on youtube page he has a link to where to buy the camera and its exact same one from same ebay seller as yours.

ah - i'll take a closer look at the review... I assumed when it said
Buy a (hopefully) better version from here http://goo.gl/4R7iK
, that it was saying it was a different version :)

this was the one I was thinking about -

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7241150b

that blog had a review and it seemed reasonable for a GPS enabled cam. Slightly wary of having loads of cables to hide with it.

[Edit] scratch that, just watched the conclusion and it's not that good.

Edited by Aspman

Also watch the legality of having the display screen visible to the driver especially on a unit like that. Or putting the camera where it obstructs your view.

My BlackVue tucks neatly under the rear view mirror and I can't see it from my driving position, though I'm not sure what plod would say about it. It did pass the MOT in that position though.

ah - i'll take a closer look at the review... I assumed when it said , that it was saying it was a different version :)

I read it as luck of the draw sort of thing, his with the light issues obviously is not how it should have been and the unit was faulty in some way. He replies to messages on youtube if you ask him.

Was looking at these yesterday for SWMBO. This morning she had a bump. Order placed for a £30 ebay jobbie!!!

I use an Android app, but if the camera is decent I may get one for myself

Will post a review when it arrives :)

• Like 1

This is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200848209878

Checked it out on arrival and it indeed appears to be the real deal, not a poor quality fake. I've checked everything except opening it up and looking at the chipset and it all looks good. The quality is plenty good enough, though it reacts a little harshly to changing light levels. It has pluses and minuses over my own BlackVue, but for £35 I'm happy with it and will be fitting it in her car this weekend.

I'm having trouble importing the video into iMovie (it doesn't support h.264 AVI files), but as soon as I sort it out, I'll post up a sample.

• Like 1

that'd be great :) which one did you go for by the way?

DO NOT BUY THRU THIS LINK THOUGH!

http://www.ebay.com/...ME:L:OU:GB:3160

I bought for $45, but on looking for a link for you the seller has upped the price to $145!! Had a heart attack thinking I had spent that much but no, I have spent only £30 :)

I reckon it was updated in error but there are plenty on fleabay for around £30.

I always view stuff like this as buy cheap buy twice, but more often than not the stuff turns out decent quality and the sellers mostly willing to help if an item is defective. Probably put a nail in my own coffin now with that statement!

If it is naff, I'll get something like this instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-Mini-Real-Micro-HD-Camera-DVR-808-Car-Key-Chain-720P-H-264-Camcorder-16-/321067784732?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item4ac1219a1c

#16 models and above do loop recording which is ideal

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT BUY THRU THIS LINK THOUGH!

http://www.ebay.com/...ME:L:OU:GB:3160

I bought for $45, but on looking for a link for you the seller has upped the price to $145!! Had a heart attack thinking I had spent that much but no, I have spent only £30 :)

I reckon it was updated in error but there are plenty on fleabay for around £30.

just wondered if you'd had chance to look at this, and had any feedback? :)

just wondered if you'd had chance to look at this, and had any feedback? :)

Received today the A8 version of this. Hooked it up to a 12v supply in the house so I could test / setup on the TV and my impressions are as follows:

Cons.

Cabling. A bit short for my liking. Would probably be fine for someone else but I always prefer more than I need for the job.

No USB connection for downloading footage. Not really a con, but in the house means I need to keep removing the card to view footage. When mounted in the car you'd more often than not just remove the memory card.

Audio. Fairly muffled, but not really the purpose of this unit in my application. Could barely pick up my voice in the house so I have doubts about clear audio in a moving vehicle.

Footage slightly grainy. But then again, this is not under daylight nor did I expect true 720p quality. It is what it is, a knock off.

Date / time needs to be setup thru the TV interface - not ideal if you dont have a 12v supply you can use indoors or a tv / monitor you can use outdoors. On other cameras I have from HK you get a txt file that you can adjust the date and time on although Im unable to see such a file on here.

Pros.

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Also has a G sensor which I did not expect when buying. Tested and works a treat. Footage is archived when recorded from the Gsensor input and is not recorded over.

Design is nice, as is the quality.

Fused on the +ve connection already so saves me a few pennies and extra soldering.

There is no point in me posting indoor footage of my living room, and its pretty dark & cold to fit in the car today, so I'll post up some footage later in the week

• Like 2

Awesome - thanks for the update - can't wait to hear how you get on 'on the road' :)

Incidently, on a different note, I was re-reading the thread for inspiration ;) it appears that one of the picture hosting sites of an ebay seller that was used by one of the first posters in this thread has been hacked - made me chuckle anyways... ;)

Awesome - thanks for the update - can't wait to hear how you get on 'on the road' :)

Incidently, on a different note, I was re-reading the thread for inspiration ;) it appears that one of the picture hosting sites of an ebay seller that was used by one of the first posters in this thread has been hacked - made me chuckle anyways... ;)

:rofl: :rofl: