Dash Cams

I have found that at 1080p I can read number plates of cars coming in the opposite direction at speeds of 70mph (combined speed of 140mph) however it does depend on available light.

Orderd all the Mobius bits yesterday and shipped this morning :) Theres huge amount of stuff on the RC (remote control) helicopter websites about this camera :)

Kit :)

need some help - i've ordered a adaptor that takes 3 cigarette port sized things and also has a usb port. i plan on wiring it in using the piggyback fuse method. 

the lead on it doesn't tell me which is positive and which is negative however and i don't want to mess it up - one wire has writing along it (serial munbers, but nothing that indicates + or - ), one wire has nothing on it - any ideas how to tell positive from negative?

thanks

When you open the plug the wire to the center terminal is positive and the outside is negative.

I would much rather run it at 1080p to get the extra definition on things like numberplates. There is not much that is going to happen that 60fps will capture that 30fps would not capture.

I've got the Mobius too and agree it's better at 1080p, also gives a wider shot, not just the centre of the image as in 720p mode.

The camera is shockingly good value and is so discreet, I love it.

That small and dark, you can't see it from the front icon_lol.gif

IMG_20130813_151633_zpsbf331159.jpg

I was dubious about mounting to the black part of the windscreen for fear of the suction not sealing properly on the dotty surface, have you had any trouble with it stuck there?

No issues until I tried moving it! A work colleague knocked it so i tried to move it behind the mirror, but there isn't enough room. It's now back where it was in the picture so I'll let you know if anything happens.

Was there for a week with no issues before I decided to move it so I hoping it will be ok. Just make sure it's completely on the dots and not half

Edited by zeffania
  • Like 1

I am awaiting mine, I have ordered the self adhesive mount too in case it allows a slightly neater fit behind mirror but either way will be good to test out and add to my collection of dash cams :D 

• Like 1

Fubar, just thinking how I might wire mine. Can you tell me if your neat solution for the power in the front cubby is on switched or permanent live pls?

Thanks

Adam

Fubar, just thinking how I might wire mine. Can you tell me if your neat solution for the power in the front cubby is on switched or permanent live pls?

Thanks

Adam

Mine is on switched but you can use any fuse you like. If you want it on permanent just pick a permanent live one.  :thumbup:

Thanks yes I am just debating which to choose. I am wondering whether to go with the option of being able to leave the camera on when parked in certain areas but also worried about potential battery drain.

Thanks yes I am just debating which to choose. I am wondering whether to go with the option of being able to leave the camera on when parked in certain areas but also worried about potential battery drain.

My current camera I have left it on for 3-4 days several times when car was parked up by mistake (when I was just using 12v socket) and never had any problems starting car. I can't see it being a problem but essentially cheapo cameras running 24/7 is not something I will be doing myself. I have been using dash cams for a good few years now and have had one go on fire before after 1.5 years great service to me. I was in the car at the time, I am cautious ever since that as I doubt any insurance company would be happy to write the thing off for first when it was some dodgy camera you fitted yourself from China that did it. Google around and you will find some horror stories with cheap dash cams exploding :o 

I think you have made my mind up for me!! Cheers

Adam

I am very over cautious and playing it as safe as I can. I would imagine if declared to insurance company it would be all good! The Mobius specifically has a heat sink on it which does make me curious on heat when I get it I will be keeping a good eye on it in different conditions etc. 

It does get warm I must admit, but I can still touch it. Never run it for more than an hour though

Mine will be getting a 800 miles straight drive under it's belt shortly :D Current camera has done about 20000 miles worth of recording which isn't all that much for 2 years old.  

Those using the mobius what cards are you using in them and how much recording time do you get on them please? 

I'm using an old 4GB Class 4 which works fine but only holds about 30 mins or so before overwriting on 1080p 30fps. I did buy a 32GB Samsung from eBay but it was a fake! grrr  :devil: