Intercooler trashed!

James I

I have found an old thread about this topic, but I would like to know, is it possible to straighten the fins? Has anybody found a suitable mesh or protector for the Intercooler? Finally what would the dealer say if I was to ask for this to be repaired under warranty?

7176667946_40ed16c04b_c.jpg

I believe somewhere in the Yeti post archives there was a thread relating to a mesh for the lower grille, I think somebody made one up and explained how he fitted it.

As for the warranty question I wouldn't think you have much hope as it's either stone damage or I know this can also happen if you get a power washer too close. As for repairing, a fridge engineer I know has a comb thing he uses for straightening condenser fins.

• Like 1

Making a and fitting a guard if fairly straight forward, the mesh costs about £2.00 from a garden centre. Pull the silver part of the bumper off. cut the mesh to size, spray matt black and hold in place with thin wire while replacing the bumper section. Job Done.

Grill 2.jpg

Edited by Lowen

Looks definitely like power washer damage, there's not a stone mark to be seen. I would never use a power/jet washer on a car, garden hose and brush do it fine, if a little longer.

The grille is a problem indeed. The same it is at Octavia, Superb. How we fix it? Another method?

Lowen, what is that mesh made of?

Lowen

I have been thinking of doiing that since buying my car, how is the silver part of the bumper attached?

This is the first car I have owned without a manufacturers workshop manual, and taking the first bits off a brand new car is always awkward.

I used a single sheet of Aluminium Black Mesh at a total cost of £15.95 (http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_5867wt_1185 ) to provide both upper and lower grille protection, secured with black cable ties. T'was a bit fiddly getting the mesh behind the main grilles, but no more so than upgrading the drls. :giggle: :giggle:

I'm pleased with the end result and am sure it will help reduce potential problems over the period.

post-68311-0-59935000-1337012954_thumb.jpg

post-68311-0-50348400-1337012977_thumb.jpg

post-68311-0-39758300-1337013141_thumb.jpg

Now that you have shown us what a good idea it is to protect the item, am I right in thinking that this is not an "intercooler"? I always thought that that was the part that kept a turbocharger working at optimum temperature, or something like that.

And that this item is a heat exchanger.

Chris

I used a single sheet of Aluminium Black Mesh at a total cost of £15.95 (http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_5867wt_1185 )to provide both upper and lower grille protection, secured with black cable ties. T'was a bit fiddly getting the mesh behind the main grilles, but no more so than upgrading the drls. :giggle: :giggle:

I'm pleased with the end result and am sure it will help reduce potential problems over the period.

I think this looks better than mine. The mesh I used was cheaper galvanized but it did need painting. Removing the silver part of the bumper is really just brute force. a sharp yank. Look underneath and you will see the bottom clips that can eased off.

Now that you have shown us what a good idea it is to protect the item, am I right in thinking that this is not an "intercooler"? I always thought that that was the part that kept a turbocharger working at optimum temperature, or something like that.

And that this item is a heat exchanger.

Chris

I believe it is the heat exchanger for the Air Con

I wouldn't bother trying to 'repair it' have you noticed any difference in aircon or vehicle performance? Any 'protection' grille is likely to have a larger surface area get in the way of air flow (think how large that mesh would be if you line up all the wires into one mat) so the performance of the part is likely to be worse with an aftermarket homemade protector. I reckon that the meshes added above have reduced airflow by at least 10%....

Only benefit would be to stop stones actually puncturing the blades of the exchanger if you are entering the Dakar rally soon.....

A brush????

That's one of those things with a handle and bristles.

But seriously, for getting mud etc off, soak it and use one of the specifically designed car brushes, great for around the grill and wheels.

There is a hole in the air conditioning condenser, one has been ordered and will be fitted when it comes in, I have bought some expamet (expanded aluminium sheet) When the condenser is fitted the dealer has said I can attend the workshop and fit mesh to the inside of the lower grill as the whole bumper has to come off to change the condenser.

Expensive repair so well worth a piece of mesh.

When the condenser is fitted the dealer has said I can attend the workshop and fit mesh to the inside of the lower grill as the whole bumper has to come off to change the condenser.

Expensive repair so well worth a piece of mesh.

I recommend you do the upper grill at the same time, while the bumper is off - see my earlier post #10 :rock:

Of course the problem with fitting mesh bought for about £2.00 from a garden centre.................... is that it looks exactly like mesh that has been bought for about £2.00 from a garden centre! :hi:

Arkaig's solution seems much less how can I put it, "hand bodged".

All my driving is motorway or A roads, so not stoney roads.

As for fitting mesh, I will be fitting expanded metal, aluminium to be precise, this will be fitted on the inside of the grill and will not be so visible, I might even get an exact size that fits over the condenser instead of covering the bumper grill, I will take pictures when I have done it.

As the grill is now it reminds me of a big mouth that fills with all sorts of debris, it took ages to get all the leaves out of there in autumn last year!

Don't show the dealer the photo you posted. It's obvious it's been blasted with a power /jet washer, there are even drops of water still on the grill. No stones would have caused that damage, every fin is flat, we are not stupid.

I looked into the gloom of mine today, and being as mine has been driven many miles along stoney forest tracks I have very little damage. And let's be honest, your driving on those sort of tracks isn't going to damage the front of your car unless you are closely following someone else flicking stones at you.

A few of the fins on mine are slightly bent, which I put down more to not slowing down for deep puddles, since most are on the nearside. What I do have however, is/was a collection of leaf mulch and pheasant(??) feathers there. Most has now been dragged out.