Skoda Rapid due from November from 12K

Yes proper scratchy plastic. Also just noticed, side repeaters are back , not in the mirror housing

Looks like son of Superb on dash layout. if sizes are as expected then I coudl be tempted when my current lease runs out as by then kids will be away in further education so wont need something the size of Superb

I haven't read every post.

Apologies if it has been raised before, but a thought occurred to me.

If the new rapid is about the same size as the Octavia and the new Octavia is going to be bigger, then where does that leave the superb superb?

Is it ging to be the end of the line or does it also get bigger.

Do Skoda leave it roughly as it is and go to town on gizmos, luxury and other trinkets like special engines?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Superb will stay the size it is, Octavia will be a bit smaller, then Rapid smaller again. Superb will be the one to get the best of everything.

Nope, the Rapid is bigger than the Golf and has a boot as big as the Mondeo's. It's much closer in size to the Octavia than the Fabia.

The new Octavia will be bigger so it becomes the best value space wise than the smaller Golf/A3 on the MQB platform, it will be pushing towards Passat size,

So the Superb? It's going to be a very big car if it goes bigger too. Maybe budget A6 / 5 series / E Class.

Cheers

Lee

In trying to work out the relative costs of both the 1.2 TSI 105 bhp and the 1.6 CR 105bhp I found that the 1.6CR costs £ 930 more in the Fabia yet £ 2365!!! more in the Octavia, both in SE spec, even taking into account the Octavia's greater list price it seems hard to justify such a wide difference.

Edited by stokey

In trying to work out the relative costs of both the 1.2 TSI 105 bhp and the 1.6 CR 105bhp I found that the 1.6CR costs £ 930 more in the Fabia yet £ 2365!!! more in the Octavia, both in SE spec, even taking into account the Octavia's greater list price it seems hard to justify such a wide difference.

The DSG gearbox is around £700 in the Fabia, £1150 in the Octavia and £1400 in the Passat.

They charge what they can get away with is the simple answer.

Hopefully as the front end of the Rapid is Fabia based the prices will be closer to the Fabia.

Cheers

Lee

The superb has a bit of a following and seemed to have annoyed VW by pinching passat sales and beating it in reviews.

Wouldn't surprise me it it met it's demise and the new Octavia was made to feel pooer than being in a passat.

After all, you've got to protect 'the' brand. Right?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

No, they really don't. They might do better value for money ones, but take away all the parts they get from VW and they'd find it costs a lot more to design a car from scratch.

Two way traffic surely; Skoda are heavily involved in the design and manufacture of the 1.2 petrol engines (HTP & TSI), lightweight gearboxes and suspension components. Good percentage of both our Fabia II's are CZ designed and manufactured, although admittedly with the Yeti it's more VW the Skoda in terms of parts source.

TP

The MQB platform will change everything.

It will underpin all VAG transverse engine models in the future except for very small models like the citigo. Nearly all Skoda's models due in the next 10 years will be based on the MQB platform

Its designed to allow for different widths, lengths, bulkhead heights (Dashboard height) and with multiple suspension and subframe fitments.

So the new A3 has alloy subframes and sophisticated alloy suspension, the Golf has always shared this but the new Golf will have different geometry and a steel setup. The Octavia will use the MQB platform and VW drive trains but will be bigger and have different suspension again.

The next A1 will not be a Polo/Golf clone and it goes on. The MQB will allow more brand identity while still haveing the cost benefits of a shared platform and shared engine and drive train components.

I suppose the Rabid is the start, It's not on the MQB but it isn't a VW clone either probably the first step in moving the brands further apart.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...